Great quotes

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 3.71 Average
07-09-2017, 04:38 AM (This post was last modified: 07-09-2017 04:42 AM by Szuchow.)
RE: Great quotes
Torture is not to be condemned merely because it does not produce the effects expected; it is to be condemned, first and foremost, because it is an unacceptable attack on the very idea of humanity. It is the surest index of barbarism – that extreme pole in human behaviour that leads us to ride roughshod over the humanity of the other. Yet again, torture is in this respect worse than murder, since by torturing I do not remain content with eliminating the person to whom I object, I draw satisfaction from his suffering, from excluding him from humanity, and this intense pleasure lasts for as long as he is alive. Torture leaves an indelible mark on the person tortured but also on the torturer. Institutional torture is even worse than individual torture, since it subverts every idea of justice and right. If the state itself becomes a torturer, how can we believe in the order that it claims to bring or to endorse?

Tzvetan Todorov.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like Szuchow's post
07-09-2017, 04:56 AM
Religion is not opiate for the people but placebo.

House MD

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 3 users Like Deesse23's post
07-09-2017, 06:54 AM
I'm struck with how much our leader resembles a character from a mockumentary.

For instance.
"I believe virtually everything I read, and I think that is what makes me more of a selective human than someone who doesn't believe anything." -- David St. Hubbins Spinal Tap

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
07-09-2017, 07:02 AM
"Although I'm an atheist, I don't fear death more than, say, sharing a room in a detox center with a sobbing Rush Limbaugh...This is why I'm returning to Opus." (Berkeley Breathed, creator of Bloom County) Consider
07-09-2017, 07:42 AM
Can't leave out Hunter Thompson on the 60's.
Quote:There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda.… You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning.…

And that, I think, was the handle—that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting—on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.…

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark—that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back.
http://www.openculture.com/2014/04/johnn...peech.html

[Image: anigif_enhanced-26851-1450298712-2.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes BikerDude's post
09-09-2017, 02:09 PM
"When an axe came into the forest, the trees said, 'Look! The handle is one of us!'"

Unknown

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 2 users Like Old Man Marsh's post
09-09-2017, 03:51 PM
"I find it far more awesome, wonderful, that creation; our appearance in the world; should be the culmination, or at least one of the latest products of 3,000 Million years of organic evolution, than a kind of country trick, taking a rib out of a man's side in a trance."

"It never really occurred to me to believe in God." (David Attenborough, British naturalist and broadcaster) Consider
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
19-09-2017, 08:54 PM
"Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has: it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but--more frequently than not--struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God." - Martin Luther in the 55 volume Table Talk. He's slamming Anabaptists for waiting for the age of reason to baptize infants and basically saying you can't wait that long because they might think too critically to believe by then. Seriously Luther, what the Hell?

(Anyhow, sorry, it's not great, but seemed like a good place to store for next time an Evangelical gets riled up.)

“I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.” - Galileo Galilei

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Shai Hulud's post
19-09-2017, 09:15 PM
"The time to be happy is now. The place to be happy is here. The way to be happy is to make others happy." (Robert G. Ingersoll) Thumbsup
19-09-2017, 09:16 PM
Great quotes
The history of humanity is the history of human freedom...Freedom is not, as Engels thought, "the recognition of necessity." Freedom is the opposite of necessity. Freedom is necessity overcome. Progress is, in essence, the progress of human freedom. Yes, and after all, life itself is freedom. The evolution of life is the evolution of freedom.

Vasily Grossman.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.