Great quotes

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 3.71 Average
11-10-2017, 02:53 AM
RE: Great quotes
"I don't believe in angels and I have trouble with the whole God thing. I don't want to say I don't believe in God, but I don't think I do. But I believe in people who do. I have a wee parking angel, it sits on your dashboard and it's supposed to get you a parking space. It's worked so far. But I get a bit bored with people who believe in angels. It's a bit in the aromatherapy field for me - a bit of hocus-pocus." (Billy Connolly) Consider
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
16-10-2017, 01:25 AM
[Image: CdeD5vNW4AMjR_G.jpg]
[+] 3 users Like M. Linoge's post
16-10-2017, 05:01 AM
"No animal is a better judge of comfort than a cat,"
James Herriot (from It shouldn't happen to a vet,)

The one, true, and real Harvey

Bene vixit, bene qui latuit
René Descartes
[+] 2 users Like Harvey's post
16-10-2017, 06:44 AM
“The Bible has not civilized mankind. A book that establishes and defends slavery and wanton war is not calculated to soften the hearts of those who believe implicitly that it is the work of God. A book that not only permits, but commands, religious persecution, has not, in my judgment, developed the affectional nature of man. Its influence has been bad and bad only. It has filled the world with bitterness, revenge and crime, and retarded in countless ways the progress of our race.” (Robert G. Ingersoll) Consider
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
18-10-2017, 09:59 PM
[Image: EQiR3sv.jpg]

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
19-10-2017, 05:37 AM
“If ignorance of nature gave birth to the gods, knowledge of nature is made for their destruction. In proportion as man has taught himself, his strength and his resources augmented with his knowledge; science, the arts, industry; furnished him assistance; experience reassured him or procured for him means of resistance to the efforts of many causes which ceased to alarm as soon as they became understood. In a word, his terrors dissipated in the same proportion as his mind became enlightened. The educated man ceases to be superstitious.” (Percy Bysshe Shelley) Consider
20-10-2017, 05:00 AM
"Nothing can be more contrary to religion and the clergy than reason and common sense." (Voltaire) Consider
[+] 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post
20-10-2017, 01:33 PM

"I never have been one for skinny women but I suppose you could say Daphne's development
had strayed a little to far in the other direction. She wasn't fat, just lavishly endowed
."
James Herriot (from Let sleeping vets lie,)

The one, true, and real Harvey

Bene vixit, bene qui latuit
René Descartes
[+] 1 user Likes Harvey's post
21-10-2017, 06:12 AM
"Religion is opposed to everything I hold in veneration--courage, clear thinking, honesty, fairness, and, above all, truth." (H.L. Mencken) Consider
[+] 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post
22-10-2017, 05:38 PM
(19-09-2017 08:54 PM)Shai Hulud Wrote:  "Reason is the greatest enemy that faith has: it never comes to the aid of spiritual things, but--more frequently than not--struggles against the divine Word, treating with contempt all that emanates from God." - Martin Luther in the 55 volume Table Talk. He's slamming Anabaptists for waiting for the age of reason to baptize infants and basically saying you can't wait that long because they might think too critically to believe by then. Seriously Luther, what the Hell?

(Anyhow, sorry, it's not great, but seemed like a good place to store for next time an Evangelical gets riled up.)

“I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use.” - Galileo Galilei

“Reason is the Devil’s greatest whore; by nature and manner of being she is a noxious whore; she is a prostitute, the Devil’s appointed whore; whore eaten by scab and leprosy who ought to be trodden under foot and destroyed, she and her wisdom … Throw dung in her face to make her ugly. She is and she ought to be drowned in baptism… She would deserve, the wretch, to be banished to the filthiest place in the house, to the closets.”
[Martin Luther, Erlangen Edition v. 16, pp. 142-148]

And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter
- Thomas Jefferson

Cheerful Charlie
[+] 3 users Like Cheerful Charlie's post