Great quotes

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 3.71 Average
20-12-2017, 09:26 PM
RE: Great quotes
My apologies the machinery is not allowing me to delete the double post.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-12-2017, 09:56 PM
"Most people are bothered by those passages in Scripture which they cannot understand; but as for me, I always noticed that the passages in Scripture which trouble me the most are those that I do understand." (Mark Twain) Consider
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
21-12-2017, 07:08 AM
"I came to understand that my god was simply the one that had been passed down to me by my ancestors. I was the descendant of people who had been subjugated by followers of El/Yahweh/Jesus. My god was not even the original one; he was just the modern form of gods that had merged and evolved over millennia. He was a god that was predated by the gods of hundreds of cultures. My god was younger than the Pyramids. I had always accepted that all other religions simply believed in false deities that had been handed down to them. I finally recognized that my religion was no different. Catholicism is no more true or false than any other religion." (Todd Stiefel) Consider
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
21-12-2017, 10:49 PM
(20-12-2017 09:22 PM)JAH Wrote:  I have not read through the above 193 pages so forgive me if this is redundant.

(20-12-2017 09:22 PM)JAH Wrote:  I have not read through the above 193 pages so forgive me if this is redundant.

Irony detector beeping quite loud.

[+] 1 user Likes jerry mcmasters's post
22-12-2017, 02:44 AM
Myth is incorporeal being. It can't be crushed with tanks, shoot or imprisoned. All this things don't damage the myth, on the contrary they strengthen it. Myth can be only destroyed by deep disappointment of it's followers, if they will feel cheated by it.

Karol Modzelewski.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
22-12-2017, 09:25 AM

[Image: 9c8ca8bee900c3c2d1453097dfbe79ed--perfec...quotes.jpg]
Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
22-12-2017, 09:31 AM
Historians are to nationalism what poppy-growers in Pakistan are to heroin-addicts: we supply the essential raw material for the market.

Eric Hobsbawm.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 2 users Like Szuchow's post
22-12-2017, 02:00 PM
"I don't believe in angels and I have trouble with the whole God thing. I don't want to say I don't believe in God, but I don't think I do. But I believe in people who do. I have a wee parking angel, it sits on your dashboard and it's supposed to get you a parking space. It's worked so far. But I get a bit bored with people who believe in angels. It's a bit in the aromatherapy field for me - it's only a bit of hocus-pocus." (Billy Connolly) Consider
23-12-2017, 12:15 PM

"The scientist does not study nature because it is useful; he studies it because he delights in it,
and he delights in it because it is beautiful. If nature were not beautiful, it would not be worth
knowing, and if nature were not worth knowing, life would not be worth living
."
Henri Poincaré

The one, true, and real Harvey

Bene vixit, bene qui latuit
René Descartes
[+] 2 users Like Harvey's post
23-12-2017, 10:48 PM
"The survival value of the god meme in the meme pool results from its great psychological appeal. It provides a superficially plausible answer to deep and troubling questions about existence. It suggests that injustices in this world may be rectified in the next. The 'everlasting arms' hold out a cushion against our own inadequacies which, like a doctor's placebo, is none the less effective for being imaginary. These are some of the reasons why the idea of God is copied so readily by successive generations of individual brains. God exists, if only in the form of a meme with high survival value, or infective power, in the environment provided by human culture." (Richard Dawkins) Consider
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post