Great quotes

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 3.71 Average
08-12-2017, 03:06 AM
RE: Great quotes
[Image: 0956566c316728c23361d16532fa3d85--spirit...quotes.jpg]

"Throughout history, every mystery, ever solved, has turned out to be; Not magic."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes M. Linoge's post
08-12-2017, 06:44 AM
"Shorter and shorter now the twilight clips the days, as though the sunset gate they crowd." (Alice Cary) Sleepy
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
11-12-2017, 12:15 PM
“Human nature yearns to see order and hierarchy in the world. It will invent it where it cannot find it. The brain highlights what it imagines as patterns; it disregards contradictory information. So limited is our knowledge that we resort, not to science, but to shamans.” ~ Benoit Mandelbrot, mathematician

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
11-12-2017, 06:03 PM
"As the butterfly chooses the fairest leaves on which to lay her eggs, so the priest lays his curses upon the fairest joys." (William Blake) Consider
[+] 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post
15-12-2017, 12:06 PM
[Image: CwM6I34UAAArmVs.jpg]

[Image: CKDBZa0VAAA0JQO.jpg]

"Throughout history, every mystery, ever solved, has turned out to be; Not magic."
[+] 2 users Like M. Linoge's post
15-12-2017, 05:13 PM
"I'm an atheist. There's a lot about the Catholic Church I do not approve of, simply because they do not approve of me." (Sir Ian McKellen) Thumbsup
[+] 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post
16-12-2017, 12:09 PM
This isn't so much a great quote, as it is a rather silly story.

When I was little I used to love to write stories, and I thought it was funny as hell that I would often quote myself from other stories... I have no idea why I found it so funny. I still do in fact... and may...

I freely admit I'm weird.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
16-12-2017, 07:39 PM
“If this is your God, he’s not very impressive. He has so many psychological problems; he’s so insecure. He demands worship every seven days. He goes out and creates faulty humans and then blames them for his own mistakes. He’s a pretty poor excuse for a Supreme Being.” (Gene Roddenberry) Consider
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
17-12-2017, 05:55 AM
(17-08-2014 06:31 AM)Chas Wrote:  We have heard talk enough. We have listened to all the drowsy, idea-less,
vapid sermons that we wish to hear. We have read your Bible and the works
of your best minds. We have heard your prayers, your solemn groans and your
reverential amens. All these amount to less than nothing.
We want one fact. We beg at the doors of your churches for just one little fact.
We pass our hats along your pews and under your pulpits and implore you for just one fact.
We know all about your mouldy wonders and your stale miracles. We want a this year's fact.
We ask only one. Give us one fact for charity. Your miracles are too ancient.
The witnesses have been dead for nearly two thousand years.
-- Robert Green Ingersoll
While searching the TTA catacombs, as I do from time to time, I found this gem.
Thanks to Chas & Ingersoll

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 1 user Likes unsapien's post
17-12-2017, 08:07 AM
"Whence arose all the horrid assassinations of whole nations of men, women, and infants, with which the Bible is filled; and the bloody persecutions, and tortures unto death and religious wars, that since that time have laid Europe in blood and ashes; whence arose they, but from this impious thing called revealed religion, and this monstrous belief that God has spoken to man? The lies of the Bible have been the cause of the one, and the lies of the Testament of the other." (Thomas Paine, The Age of Reason, 1794) Consider