Great quotes

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 3.71 Average
11-05-2018, 04:48 PM
RE: Great quotes
(11-05-2018 04:43 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Never even attempted to show any signs of butthurtedness.

Just seemed like you wanted recognition; so I gave you some.
(11-05-2018 04:38 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Look man, if you're so butthurt about it I'll give you a proper quote this time. K?

[Image: 5tq3ru6iycw01.jpg]

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Quote: "You can now buy a Picard facepalm statue.BY ALEX GILYADOV Star Trek captain Jean-Luc Picard's classic facepalm pose has finally been turned into a statue.

The bust, from IconHeroes, is available exclusively from ThinkGeek. It captures the USS Enterprise-D captain executing his glorious facepalm maneuver. Priced at $65 USD, the statue measures six inches tall and four inches wide."

[Image: picard.jpg]

Or if you're poor like me just quote the article.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
11-05-2018, 04:58 PM
(11-05-2018 07:05 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  In short; what negatively affects ones conscience does so for good reason and should be generally heeded.

> “Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.” (Blaise Pascal) Consider

> "One of the common arguments in defense of religion is that Hitler wasn't religious and neither was Stalin or Mao and they were bad so religion is good. But like religion itself it's an argument that really depends a lot on not thinking too deeply. For one Hitler himself didn't eliminate anyone personally he had a lot of foot soldiers most of whom were good Christians and they pushed people into the ovens. Religion has done a bad job of stepping up and preventing violence-prone bullies from doing their thing. If anything it usually justifies acts of madness. And 20th Century Fascism and Communism while not strictly religions as we've come to think of religion, really were religions. They were state religions. Hitler was seen as infallible and Godlike. Hirohito was absolutely a God on Earth to the Japanese people. We shouldn't get too hung up on the word religion.

"The bottom line is whether people think and act rationally or not and whenever they organize their lives around something that could best be described as groundlessness bad things happen. Even if the central story seems harmless like there's a God who loves you so much that he had his only Son whacked so that you could keep on sinning. Still, doesn't matter, once reality has left the building, once it's up there in the ether then anything can be extrapolated or tacked on by Preachers and Priesthoods and delusionally, power-hungry pricks. It's not that big a step from, 'Your God is the only God and he loves you very much,' to 'You really should get out there and start killing for him.'" (Bill Maher, Religulous) Consider
[+] 2 users Like Gwaithmir's post
11-05-2018, 05:24 PM
(11-05-2018 04:58 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(11-05-2018 07:05 AM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  In short; what negatively affects ones conscience does so for good reason and should be generally heeded.

> “Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.” (Blaise Pascal) Consider

> "One of the common arguments in defense of religion is that Hitler wasn't religious and neither was Stalin or Mao and they were bad so religion is good. But like religion itself it's an argument that really depends a lot on not thinking too deeply. For one Hitler himself didn't eliminate anyone personally he had a lot of foot soldiers most of whom were good Christians and they pushed people into the ovens. Religion has done a bad job of stepping up and preventing violence-prone bullies from doing their thing. If anything it usually justifies acts of madness. And 20th Century Fascism and Communism while not strictly religions as we've come to think of religion, really were religions. They were state religions. Hitler was seen as infallible and Godlike. Hirohito was absolutely a God on Earth to the Japanese people. We shouldn't get too hung up on the word religion.

"The bottom line is whether people think and act rationally or not and whenever they organize their lives around something that could best be described as groundlessness bad things happen. Even if the central story seems harmless like there's a God who loves you so much that he had his only Son whacked so that you could keep on sinning. Still, doesn't matter, once reality has left the building, once it's up there in the ether then anything can be extrapolated or tacked on by Preachers and Priesthoods and delusionally, power-hungry pricks. It's not that big a step from, 'Your God is the only God and he loves you very much,' to 'You really should get out there and start killing for him.'" (Bill Maher, Religulous) Consider
Matthew 5: 44. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; 45. That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

11-05-2018, 05:50 PM
(11-05-2018 05:24 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(11-05-2018 04:58 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > “Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.” (Blaise Pascal) Consider

Matthew 5: 44. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; 45. That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

"If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple." (Luke 14:26)

"I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man’s foes shall be they of his own household." (Matthew 10:35-36)

"He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me." (Matthew 10:37)

"There are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother’s womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven’s sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it." (Matthew 19:12) Blink

"Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom." (Matthew 16:28), (Mark 9:1), (Luke 9:27) It never happened. No

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." (Matthew 10:34)

"If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned." (John 15:16)

"And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables: That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them." (Mark 4:11) Facepalm
[+] 3 users Like Gwaithmir's post
11-05-2018, 05:56 PM
(11-05-2018 05:24 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  
(11-05-2018 04:58 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  > “Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction.” (Blaise Pascal) Consider

"I think a servant of the enemy would look fairer, and feel fouler." -Frodo Baggins The Lord of the Rings by JRR Tolkien

(See I can quote story books too)

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 3 users Like JesseB's post
11-05-2018, 05:57 PM
(11-05-2018 05:50 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  
(11-05-2018 05:24 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Matthew 5: 44. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; 45. That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

"If any man come to me, and hate not his father, and mother, and wife, and children, and brethren, and sisters, yea, and his own life also, he cannot be my disciple." (Luke 14:26)

"I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law. And a man’s foes shall be they of his own household." (Matthew 10:35-36)

"He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me." (Matthew 10:37)

"There are some eunuchs, which were so born from their mother’s womb: and there are some eunuchs, which were made eunuchs of men: and there be eunuchs, which have made themselves eunuchs for the kingdom of heaven’s sake. He that is able to receive it, let him receive it." (Matthew 19:12) Blink

"Verily I say unto you, There be some standing here, which shall not taste of death, till they see the Son of man coming in his kingdom." (Matthew 16:28), (Mark 9:1), (Luke 9:27) It never happened. No

"Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword." (Matthew 10:34)

"If a man abide not in me, he is cast forth as a branch, and is withered; and men gather them, and cast them into the fire, and they are burned." (John 15:16)

"And he said unto them, Unto you it is given to know the mystery of the kingdom of God: but unto them that are without, all these things are done in parables: That seeing they may see, and not perceive; and hearing they may hear, and not understand; lest at any time they should be converted, and their sins should be forgiven them." (Mark 4:11) Facepalm

If he wants to quote back one good part of the bible for every bad part of the bible quoted at him... he's gonna run out of good quotes real quick lol....

Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
11-05-2018, 06:10 PM
(11-05-2018 05:24 PM)popsthebuilder Wrote:  Matthew 5: 44. But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you; 45. That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

What's your point pops?

Edit: My apologies. I guess you just thought it was a great quote. The clip below challenges that idea.

No gods necessary.
[+] 2 users Like brunumb's post
11-05-2018, 06:41 PM
"Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." (Victor J. Stenger) Consider
[+] 4 users Like Gwaithmir's post
11-05-2018, 07:30 PM
Lmao
(11-05-2018 06:41 PM)Gwaithmir Wrote:  "Science flies you to the moon. Religion flies you into buildings." (Victor J. Stenger) Consider

12-05-2018, 05:04 AM
"Religion is the masterpiece of the art of animal training, for it trains people as to how they shall think." (Arthur Schopenhauer) Consider