Great quotes

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 3.71 Average
09-10-2014, 03:53 PM
RE: Great quotes
(09-10-2014 08:49 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Suppose all of his books are about sex...hmmmm? Then what? Huh? Huh?

Laugh out load

I imagine all you could do at that time is brace yourself for one heck of an evening Yes

I hope that the world turns, and things get better. But what I hope most of all is that you understand what I mean when I tell you that, even though I do not know you, and even though I may never meet you, laugh with you, cry with you, or kiss you, I love you. With all my heart, I love you. - V for Vendetta
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Smercury44's post
09-10-2014, 10:07 PM
Cool quote of the week Cool

''If you expect the world to be fair with you because you are fair, you’re fooling yourself. That’s like expecting the lion not to eat you because you didn’t eat him.''
(anonymous?)

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
10-10-2014, 04:22 AM
Speaking of fair...

"Fairness isn't an objective feature of the universe. It's a concept that was invented so children and idiots can participate in arguments."

-Scott Adams

http://dilbert.com/blog/entry/fairnessagain/

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
10-10-2014, 04:37 PM
''Sometimes you have to get burned by a hot stove several times, before you realize...it's hot.'' ~ me

10-10-2014, 05:48 PM
(09-10-2014 10:22 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(09-10-2014 09:45 AM)f stop Wrote:  '"Comfort the afflicted. Afflict the comfortable." - Finley Peter Dunne

This quote is in TTA Podcast 186. Neither Seth nor his guest seemed to know the source.
If I recall correctly, that quote is also uttered by a journalist in the 1960 movie "Inherit the Wind." Smile

Edit: I was right! According to Wikipedia, "a version showed up in a line delivered by Gene Kelly in the 1960 film, Inherit the Wind. Kelly (E.K. Hornbeck) says, 'Mr. Brady, it is the duty of a newspaper to comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.'"
Correct! And since E.K. Hornbeck is a fictionalization of H.L. Mencken, I thought the quote was Mencken's, but I wanted to make sure before posting. Thus I discovered Mr. Dunne.

Sapere aude
12-10-2014, 08:17 PM
"If death meant just leaving the stage long enough to change costume and come back as a new character...Would you slow down? Or speed up?"

-Chuck Palahniuk

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
13-10-2014, 07:26 AM
I think I may need that ^^ one explained. Blush

13-10-2014, 08:55 AM
(13-10-2014 07:26 AM)Deidre32 Wrote:  I think I may need that ^^ one explained. Blush

I believe what was being expressed was "If after death all that happens is a change of forms does that not decrease the value of this life?"

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
13-10-2014, 09:00 AM
"The ways of the world do not change by your choice to believe in a lie. Why not sail out and see for yourself?" - Heri Joensen

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
13-10-2014, 09:14 AM
Paul's Law: "You can't fall off the floor."

I have no idea who "Paul" was, but I like to imagine him so drunk that he couldn't get off the floor.