Great quotes

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 3.71 Average
31-10-2014, 06:23 AM
RE: Great quotes
(29-10-2014 05:47 AM)Chas Wrote:  "It's almost funny, but then you realize that it means some thinking human being out there is using their intellect,
passion and dedication, not to some useful purpose or good, but to twist themselves through ever more contorted thought processes,
in abject denial of the immense beauty and complexity of the entire world all around them,
all in order to justify some demented and malicious fairy tale thought up by ignorant nobodies now millennia dead." -cjlr

Cjlr should write a fucking book.

(31-10-2014 05:59 AM)Wolfbitn Wrote:  Know thyself, and thou shalt know the Universe and God.
- Pythagoras

"Know thyself" is a phrase used hundreds of times in Ancient Greek texts and there's no source to indicate that Pythagoras ever said or wrote it.

The "Universe and God" part seems to have been added only after Christianity appeared. There is absolutely no source for that phrase in Ancient Greek.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like undergroundp's post
31-10-2014, 07:03 AM
"Too much love will kill you, just as sure as none at all." — Brian May

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
[+] 2 users Like The Polyglot Atheist's post
31-10-2014, 07:19 AM
(31-10-2014 06:23 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  "Know thyself" is a phrase used hundreds of times in Ancient Greek texts and there's no source to indicate that Pythagoras ever said or wrote it.

The "Universe and God" part seems to have been added only after Christianity appeared. There is absolutely no source for that phrase in Ancient Greek.

I prefer "Molon labe" - single most badass phrase ever uttered by anyone, anywhere.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
31-10-2014, 02:17 PM
I haven't read the whole thread. Ummmm. I get lazy. If a thread starts to get very lengthy I avoid it because I don't want to read all the posts. Sorry, I'm a very bad person. Blush But I think I can jump in the middle of things and be ok.

Variously attributed to: Shakespearean actor Edmund Kean, actor Edmund Gwenn (played Santa Claus In Miracle on 34th Street) or another actor, Donald Crisp.

"Dying is easy. Comedy is hard."

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
31-10-2014, 02:59 PM
(31-10-2014 02:17 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I haven't read the whole thread. Ummmm. I get lazy. If a thread starts to get very lengthy I avoid it because I don't want to read all the posts. Sorry, I'm a very bad person. Blush But I think I can jump in the middle of things and be ok.

lol I'm the same way. Unless... it's my thread. Laugh out load

Quote:Variously attributed to: Shakespearean actor Edmund Kean, actor Edmund Gwenn (played Santa Claus In Miracle on 34th Street) or another actor, Donald Crisp.

what does this quote mean? Laughing at life is hard? Or...something else?

Be true to yourself. Heart
31-10-2014, 03:03 PM
(31-10-2014 02:59 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  
Quote:Variously attributed to: Shakespearean actor Edmund Kean, actor Edmund Gwenn (played Santa Claus In Miracle on 34th Street) or another actor, Donald Crisp.

I think it means that doing comedy (being successful in making people laugh) is really hard, even harder than dying.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
31-10-2014, 03:29 PM
(31-10-2014 03:03 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(31-10-2014 02:59 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  what does this quote mean? Laughing at life is hard? Or...something else?

I think it means that doing comedy (being successful in making people laugh) is really hard, even harder than dying.
Really, I never would have guessed that. I love some of these quotes, cuz they make me think.

31-10-2014, 03:49 PM
(31-10-2014 02:59 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  
(31-10-2014 02:17 PM)dancefortwo Wrote:  I haven't read the whole thread. Ummmm. I get lazy. If a thread starts to get very lengthy I avoid it because I don't want to read all the posts. Sorry, I'm a very bad person. Blush But I think I can jump in the middle of things and be ok.

lol I'm the same way. Unless... it's my thread. Laugh out load

This was attributed to one of three actors on his death bed. Most probably Edmund Gwenn. These were his last words. "Dying is easy. It's comedy that's hard."

For some reason I really like that thought.

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
31-10-2014, 11:27 PM
(31-10-2014 03:03 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  
(31-10-2014 02:59 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  what does this quote mean? Laughing at life is hard? Or...something else?

I think it can go deeper than that, maybe just in my head though...you might be right.

I think it means that living is easy, as in any fool can do it. Every person that is born must live, and so must die. But comedy is a reflection of life that is pleasurable. Comedy is a way to enjoy the mundane. To laugh at the absurd and to appeal to one's better nature.

Death will come to all, but a life lived heartily with laughter and enjoyment.....that is the challenge.

I dunno, that's my take on it.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 2 users Like evenheathen's post
02-11-2014, 01:15 PM
(31-10-2014 11:27 PM)evenheathen Wrote:  
(31-10-2014 03:03 PM)undergroundp Wrote:  I think it means that doing comedy (being successful in making people laugh) is really hard, even harder than dying.

I think it can go deeper than that, maybe just in my head though...you might be right.

I think it means that living is easy, as in any fool can do it. Every person that is born must live, and so must die. But comedy is a reflection of life that is pleasurable. Comedy is a way to enjoy the mundane. To laugh at the absurd and to appeal to one's better nature.

Death will come to all, but a life lived heartily with laughter and enjoyment.....that is the challenge.

I dunno, that's my take on it.

Yea, that sounds about right...thanks. Cool