Great quotes

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.5 Average
21-01-2015, 08:22 PM
RE: Great quotes
Death is the only god that comes when you call.
-Roger Zelazny

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
21-01-2015, 09:01 PM
(21-01-2015 08:20 PM)Chas Wrote:  Scars show us where we've been;
they don't dictate where we're going.

Sadcryface

I needed that.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
22-01-2015, 07:11 PM
"Safeguarding the rights of others is the most noble and beautiful end of a human being."
— Khalil Gibran

孤独 - The Out Crowd
Life is a flash of light between two eternities of darkness.
[Image: Schermata%202014-10-24%20alle%2012.39.01.png]
26-01-2015, 03:43 PM
The Alex Gibney HBO documentary "Going clear" premiered at Sundance last night. The film is based on Lawrence Wright's book "Going clear: Scientology, Hollywood, and the Prison of Belief", a book I can truly recommend.

One of the people featured in the film is the journalist Tony Ortega, former editor of the Village Voice, and a long term critic of the CoS. The following quote is one of my favourites:

One of the things that L. Ron Hubbard came up with that was brilliant, really, and you have to give the guy credit because his church is still going almost 27 years after he died, is that everything in scientology is geared towards yourself. In other words, you don't go down to a church with a hundered other people and hear a lecture about something that happened two thousand years ago in a desert. You go down there as an individual, you sit down, you're given materials, and you're asked to come up with memories and discoverises about yourself. Scientology is completely inward directed. Now, can you see how attractive that is to a celebrity, to an actor?

Tony Ortega (talking to Allison Hope Weiner on Media Mayhem, january 2013)

The one, true, and real Harvey

Bene vixit, bene qui latuit
René Descartes
[+] 1 user Likes Harvey's post
26-01-2015, 04:15 PM

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe.”
Albert Einstein

René Descartes
[+] 4 users Like Harvey's post
26-01-2015, 04:24 PM
[/b][/color]This is a quote in arabic, translation will follow

,لا يوجد معرفة ضارة ولا جهل نافع ,ان كل الشرور مصدرها الجهل ,وكل الخير مصدره المعرفة
عبد الله القصيمي

translation:
there is no such thing as harmful knowledge or beneficial ignorance, as all evil comes from ignorance and all good comes from knowledge.
[b][/i]Abdallah al Qassemy,
Saudi atheist 1907-1996,rejected salafism ,defended atheism,skeptism and secularism.He was the target of 2 diiferent assasination attempts.Was a critic of religion, arab societies and regimes.

Attached File(s) Thumbnail(s)

[+] 6 users Like Sa3lookmurtad's post
26-01-2015, 04:32 PM
I'll never forget this one. I was nine or ten, discussing faith with the mother of one of my friends from childhood. It stuck in my mind ever since.

Spit in your left hand, and ask God for something in your right. Then check which hand contains the most.”
Mother of childhood friend

René Descartes
[+] 5 users Like Harvey's post
03-02-2015, 08:48 PM
"Hawaii has always been a very pivotal role in the Pacific. It is in the Pacific. It is a part of the United States that is an island that is right here." -Dan Quayle

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!
04-02-2015, 12:50 PM
"Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned"

Not entirely sure who said it, but I like it.
[+] 1 user Likes The Hidden Atheist's post
05-02-2015, 08:15 AM
"When you take the UNCF model that, what a waste it is to lose one's mind, or not to have a mind is being very wasteful, how true that is." Dan Quayle, giving a speech to the UNCF, whose slogan is "A mind is a terrible thing to waste."

Paleoliberal • English Nationalist • Zionist • Rightist • Anti-Islam • Neoconservative • Republican • Linguistic Revivalist and Purist

Happily Divorced from the Left!