Great quotes

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 3.71 Average
21-03-2015, 03:07 AM
RE: Great quotes
“We all have a thirst for wonder. It's a deeply human quality. Science and religion are both bound up with it. What I'm saying is, you don't have to make stories up, you don't have to exaggerate. There's wonder and awe enough in the real world. Nature's a lot better at inventing wonders than we are.”
- Carl Sagan, Contact

"I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way." - Carl Sagan
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like rezider's post
21-03-2015, 03:08 AM
“If God is omnipotent and omniscient, why didn't he start the universe out in the first place so it would come out the way he wants? Why's he constantly repairing and complaining? No, there's one thing the Bible makes clear: The biblical God is a sloppy manufacturer. He's not good at design, he's not good at execution. He'd be out of business, if there was any competition.”
- Carl Sagan, Contact

"I don't know where I'm going, but I'm on my way." - Carl Sagan
[+] 2 users Like rezider's post
21-03-2015, 11:22 AM

Evolution is not something you believe in ― it's something you understand.”
Erik Tunstad, biologist

The one, true, and real Harvey

Bene vixit, bene qui latuit
René Descartes
Find all posts by this user
[+] 10 users Like Harvey's post
26-03-2015, 08:28 PM
[Image: hsncN5p.jpg]

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
27-03-2015, 06:43 AM
"When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land.
They said 'Let us pray.' We closed our eyes.
When we opened them we had the Bible and they had the land."

-Desmond Tutu
[+] 1 user Likes It's Not The End O fThe World's post
27-03-2015, 07:11 AM
(27-03-2015 06:43 AM)Its Not The End O fThe World Wrote:  "When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land.

-Desmond Tutu

I'm pretty sure it wasn't his Tutuness who said this...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
27-03-2015, 07:20 AM
(27-03-2015 07:11 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(27-03-2015 06:43 AM)Its Not The End O fThe World Wrote:  "When the missionaries came to Africa they had the Bible and we had the land.

-Desmond Tutu

I'm pretty sure it wasn't his Tutuness who said this...

Wikiquote doubts it, too.

wikiquote Wrote:Disputed
When the Missionaries arrived, the Africans had the Land and the Missionaries had the Bible. They taught us how to pray with our eyes closed. When we opened them, they had the land and we had the Bible.
The oldest source found is a fiction play published by holocaust doubter Rolf Hochhuth, in his controversial The Deputy, a Christian tragedy (1964), Grove Press, p. 144. No reference to any historical or original source was given.
This has also been attributed to anglican Archbishop Desmond Tutu; e.g. in Seeds of Conflict in a Haven of Peace: From Religious Studies to Interreligious Studies in Africa (2007), by Frans Jozef Servaas Wijsen. No reference is cited.
Other citations are found in books written by critics of religion, such as Christos Tzanetakos's "The Life and Work of an Atheist Pioneer", iUniverse; and Jack Huberman0s "Quotable Atheist: Ammunition for Nonbelievers, Political Junkies, Gadflies, and Those Generally Hell-Bound" (2008), 175. No references are given.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
27-03-2015, 07:28 AM
(27-03-2015 07:20 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-03-2015 07:11 AM)morondog Wrote:  I'm pretty sure it wasn't his Tutuness who said this...

Wikiquote doubts it, too.

wikiquote Wrote:Disputed
When the Missionaries arrived, the Africans had the Land and the Missionaries had the Bible. They taught us how to pray with our eyes closed. When we opened them, they had the land and we had the Bible.
The oldest source found is a fiction play published by holocaust doubter Rolf Hochhuth, in his controversial The Deputy, a Christian tragedy (1964), Grove Press, p. 144. No reference to any historical or original source was given.
This has also been attributed to anglican Archbishop Desmond Tutu; e.g. in Seeds of Conflict in a Haven of Peace: From Religious Studies to Interreligious Studies in Africa (2007), by Frans Jozef Servaas Wijsen. No reference is cited.
Other citations are found in books written by critics of religion, such as Christos Tzanetakos's "The Life and Work of an Atheist Pioneer", iUniverse; and Jack Huberman0s "Quotable Atheist: Ammunition for Nonbelievers, Political Junkies, Gadflies, and Those Generally Hell-Bound" (2008), 175. No references are given.

Interesting, I did a history course on Native Americans and one of the famous chiefs allegedly made that exact same quote...lol ahhhh gotta love "historical accuracy" within history books.

"When the white man first came to this land, we had the land and they had the bible. They taught us to pray with our eyes closed. When we opened them again, we had the bible and the white man had the land."

https://www.ocf.berkeley.edu/~katster/Hist16p.htm

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
29-03-2015, 12:12 AM
(21-03-2015 03:08 AM)rezider Wrote:  “If God is omnipotent and omniscient, why didn't he start the universe out in the first place so it would come out the way he wants? Why's he constantly repairing and complaining? No, there's one thing the Bible makes clear: The biblical God is a sloppy manufacturer. He's not good at design, he's not good at execution. He'd be out of business, if there was any competition.”
- Carl Sagan, Contact

If one wishes to believe in a deity of some type, he/she isn't relegated to only the Bible's 'version.' Agree with the quote otherwise, though. Cool

Be true to yourself. Heart
29-03-2015, 01:06 AM
(21-03-2015 11:22 AM)Harvey Wrote:   
Evolution is not something you believe in ― it's something you understand.”
Erik Tunstad, biologist

I love this! It's brilliant

Be true to yourself. Heart