Great quotes

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 3.71 Average
23-04-2015, 02:46 PM
RE: Great quotes
The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.
- Socrates

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-04-2015, 06:10 PM
"There can be only one."

-Connor MacLeod

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
23-04-2015, 09:41 PM
"Google just spent five million dollars on lobbying this quarter alone. You'd think Google wouldn't have to lobby, they'd just tell politicians 'we have your search history.'" - Jimmy Fallon, just a few minutes ago

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 4 users Like Nurse's post
23-04-2015, 10:26 PM
(23-04-2015 09:41 PM)Nurse Wrote:  "Google just spent five million dollars on lobbying this quarter alone. You'd think Google wouldn't have to lobby, they'd just tell politicians 'we have your search history.'" - Jimmy Fallon, just a few minutes ago

Meanwhile, the DIRNSA is leering at Google's President enviously, jealous of their information gathering ability.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
[+] 1 user Likes Free Thought's post
25-04-2015, 01:49 PM
(23-04-2015 02:46 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.
- Socrates

I'm doing an essay on this right now. What are your thoughts on the quote?

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
25-04-2015, 02:18 PM
(25-04-2015 01:49 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(23-04-2015 02:46 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.
- Socrates

That it is mostly true, with exception of knowledge gained by causing unnecessary suffering. But one could refute it by saying that knowledge is not subjected to moral reasoning, and there is no such thing like bad knowledge, especially if one consider good and bad being merely simple labels with no objective meaning.

This quote also encourage learning, and constant questioning even of things we see as certainty. Also it could mean that evil deeds are result of ignorance.

It's not much but more than that could be overthinking the issue. But the I'm by no means expert.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
25-04-2015, 03:15 PM (This post was last modified: 25-04-2015 03:26 PM by Nurse.)
(25-04-2015 01:49 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
- Socrates

I disagree with it - it's too limited. While much of the wrongdoing in the world is due to ignorance, some people get their rocks off making others suffer. Knowledge that what you are doing is cruel/unjust, and doing it anyway? Evil.

"Some men just want to watch the world burn." - Alfred, The Dark Knight

ETA: I mean I understand the premise that you would rid the world of much of it's atrocities with education (which is why I'd much rather have seen the US drop Hooked on Phonics and iPads rather than bombs over Iraq and Afghanistan), it doesn't account for sociopaths.

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 2 users Like Nurse's post
25-04-2015, 05:19 PM
(25-04-2015 03:15 PM)Nurse Wrote:  
(25-04-2015 01:49 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  I'm doing an essay on this right now. What are your thoughts on the quote?

I disagree with it - it's too limited. While much of the wrongdoing in the world is due to ignorance, some people get their rocks off making others suffer. Knowledge that what you are doing is cruel/unjust, and doing it anyway? Evil.

"Some men just want to watch the world burn." - Alfred, The Dark Knight

ETA: I mean I understand the premise that you would rid the world of much of it's atrocities with education (which is why I'd much rather have seen the US drop Hooked on Phonics and iPads rather than bombs over Iraq and Afghanistan), it doesn't account for sociopaths.

You've put it perfectly. The quote was a response to the concept of akrasia, or, "weakness of will". In a nutshell Socrates asserted that all men want to live a good life, and to live a good life one must be virtuous, and to be virtuous you must have knowledge of what virtue is. So, if you commit a bad act, you are doing so out of ignorance of the knowledge that it is bad, because it wouldn't make sense for somebody to do something that would not lead to "the good life" purposefully.

I think he was a noob when it came to sadism Tongue

I hope I got that right anyway, I have a hard time articulating things >.<

Saints live in flames; wise men, next to them.
[+] 1 user Likes SunnyD1's post
25-04-2015, 07:46 PM

'Concerning the gods I cannot know
either that they exist or what form they

might have,for there is much to prevent
one's knowing: the obscurity of the subject
and the shortness of man's life'....Protagoras