Great quotes

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 3.71 Average
25-04-2015, 08:22 PM
RE: Great quotes
(23-04-2015 02:46 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.
- Socrates

Maybe only when comparing the two, but one can be quite knowledgeable and do evil deeds, and ignorant and yet be quite kindhearted.

Be true to yourself. Heart
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Deidre32's post
26-04-2015, 02:46 AM
Wink RE: Great quotes
"I shop therefore I am" Tammy Baker & Imelda Marcos.
26-04-2015, 03:05 AM
(25-04-2015 01:49 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  
(23-04-2015 02:46 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  The only good is knowledge and the only evil is ignorance.
- Socrates

I'm doing an essay on this right now. What are your thoughts on the quote?
The path to hell is paved with good intentions.

Those that think they have the knowledge, think they know better than anyone what is good and are driven to implement that on society in order to create what they think is a utopian society can easily be the ones that create a hell on Earth.

There are many fictional accounts of this idea, for example "Demolition Man", "Divergence", "The Hunger Games", "Logan's run".

And unfortunately many examples in history Mao, Hitler etc
[+] 2 users Like Stevil's post
26-04-2015, 03:30 AM
(26-04-2015 03:05 AM)Stevil Wrote:  
(25-04-2015 01:49 PM)SunnyD1 Wrote:  I'm doing an essay on this right now. What are your thoughts on the quote?
The path to hell is paved with good intentions.

Those that think they have the knowledge, think they know better than anyone what is good and are driven to implement that on society in order to create what they think is a utopian society can easily be the ones that create a hell on Earth.

There are many fictional accounts of this idea, for example "Demolition Man", "Divergence", "The Hunger Games", "Logan's run".

And unfortunately many examples in history Mao, Hitler etc

I think it's not knowledge at fault, rather arrogance. It is not knowledge that led to trying of building utopia, but belief that one is capable to make the life of others better even against their will. Such line of thinking smells of arrogance rather than knowledge, of belief that one way of life or one ideology is the best.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
26-04-2015, 04:15 AM
(25-04-2015 08:22 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  
- Socrates

Maybe only when comparing the two, but one can be quite knowledgeable and do evil deeds, and ignorant and yet be quite kindhearted.

While true, ignorance can lead to unintentional suffering that could otherwise be avoided or mitigated with knowledge. As in, ignorance can cause needless suffering.

While a celebrity doctor pushing homeopathy that he knows is bullshit for personal gains is more evil than a parent who tries to treat their child's fever with homeopathy (because he is more culpable directly because of his greater knowledge), either way if the child dies from lack of real medical treatment, the child still needlessly died from ignorance.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 3 users Like EvolutionKills's post
26-04-2015, 05:52 AM
"Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the test first and the lesson comes afterward. "
Vernon Law
[+] 5 users Like Biolizard's post
26-04-2015, 02:19 PM
(26-04-2015 03:30 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I think it's not knowledge at fault, rather arrogance. It is not knowledge that led to trying of building utopia, but belief that one is capable to make the life of others better even against their will. Such line of thinking smells of arrogance rather than knowledge, of belief that one way of life or one ideology is the best.
But how can one have knowledge of the unknowable?

If one thinks they have that knowledge then that person is already on that path.
26-04-2015, 02:31 PM
(26-04-2015 02:19 PM)Stevil Wrote:  
(26-04-2015 03:30 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  I think it's not knowledge at fault, rather arrogance. It is not knowledge that led to trying of building utopia, but belief that one is capable to make the life of others better even against their will. Such line of thinking smells of arrogance rather than knowledge, of belief that one way of life or one ideology is the best.
But how can one have knowledge of the unknowable?

If one thinks they have that knowledge then that person is already on that path.

One can not, for one could think that he knows what is best for the others, yet I would not call it knowledge. It's conjecture, or belief derived from one ideology i.e. Lenin thinking that his ideology would be for the best. What really happen is well known.

It was not about knowledge but rather arrogance that maked him think that he knows better how others should live.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
26-04-2015, 02:51 PM
(26-04-2015 02:31 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(26-04-2015 02:19 PM)Stevil Wrote:  But how can one have knowledge of the unknowable?

One can not, for one could think that he knows what is best for the others, yet I would not call it knowledge. It's conjecture, or belief derived from one ideology i.e. Lenin thinking that his ideology would be for the best. What really happen is well known.

It was not about knowledge but rather arrogance that maked him think that he knows better how others should live.

"Our knowledge can only be finite, while our ignorance must necessarily be infinite"--- Karl Popper.
26-04-2015, 04:15 PM
(26-04-2015 02:31 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(26-04-2015 02:19 PM)Stevil Wrote:  But how can one have knowledge of the unknowable?

Perhaps "arrogance" means a perception of the self holding knowledge and knowing what is best for others despite what others think is best for them.

It would probably be the case that most world leaders perceive themselves as knowing better than the common person.