Great quotes

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.5 Average
05-05-2015, 12:58 AM
RE: Great quotes
(04-05-2015 08:44 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  
(04-05-2015 01:03 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Considering his life experience I think he meant what he say literally, but one can not be sure. Also what we see in daily life or on the news don't really compare with what he and other GULag prisoners were through.

And what would be your interpretation of this quote?
That mankind should avoid suffering, even if it means dying as to avoid it.

That's interesting interpretation. However suffering is part of almost anyone life, so I assume you mean excessive suffering.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-05-2015, 04:24 PM
(05-05-2015 12:58 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(04-05-2015 08:44 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  That mankind should avoid suffering, even if it means dying as to avoid it.

That's interesting interpretation. However suffering is part of almost anyone life, so I assume you mean excessive suffering.

Opting for excessive suffering seemingly would require an amazingly worthy cause.
05-05-2015, 10:21 PM
(05-05-2015 12:58 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  
(04-05-2015 08:44 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  That mankind should avoid suffering, even if it means dying as to avoid it.

Well, how one might interpret excessive suffering. The immediate leap my mind took when reading the quote you posted was to the atrocities that are playing out at the hands of ISIS, in the middle east. It's nearly unfathomable that mankind could behave with such depravity, but it is.

Be true to yourself. Heart
06-05-2015, 12:07 AM
(05-05-2015 10:21 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 12:58 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  That's interesting interpretation. However suffering is part of almost anyone life, so I assume you mean excessive suffering.

Well, how one might interpret excessive suffering. The immediate leap my mind took when reading the quote you posted was to the atrocities that are playing out at the hands of ISIS, in the middle east. It's nearly unfathomable that mankind could behave with such depravity, but it is.

It's what happens when humans lose empathy. They cease to picture themselves in the same situation. They delude themselves that it is morally OK to e.g. burn people alive. And it's *exciting* to torture someone without fear of reprisal. The sensation of power. The *fear* that they have for you. All this can be yours if you simply kill with brutality and cruelty.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
06-05-2015, 02:41 AM
(05-05-2015 04:24 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 12:58 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  That's interesting interpretation. However suffering is part of almost anyone life, so I assume you mean excessive suffering.

Opting for excessive suffering seemingly would require an amazingly worthy cause.
Not opting. What I mean to say is - if human were to avoid suffering by death then population would decrase at a fast rate, seeing as suffering seem to be constant in human life.

(05-05-2015 10:21 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  

I think interpretation of excessive suffering would differ prom person to person. As for ISIS, I think it is nothing unfatomable - mankind is cruel and violent. Also what we see as cruel and unnecessary they might see as noble and just for their frame of reference is different than ours. It was different frame of reference that allowed Nazis to do what they did (not only reason of course) - for when nation is in war then things are judged contrary to when in peace. Of course dehumanization of Jews and others also "helped".

(06-05-2015 12:07 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(05-05-2015 10:21 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  Well, how one might interpret excessive suffering. The immediate leap my mind took when reading the quote you posted was to the atrocities that are playing out at the hands of ISIS, in the middle east. It's nearly unfathomable that mankind could behave with such depravity, but it is.

It's what happens when humans lose empathy. They cease to picture themselves in the same situation. They delude themselves that it is morally OK to e.g. burn people alive. And it's *exciting* to torture someone without fear of reprisal. The sensation of power. The *fear* that they have for you. All this can be yours if you simply kill with brutality and cruelty.

I agree. But I think one must dehumanize first. Christopher Browning wrote good book on the subject "Ordinary Men: Reserve Police Battalion 101 and the Final Solution in Poland".

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
06-05-2015, 10:49 AM (This post was last modified: 06-05-2015 01:02 PM by Kaneda.)
"Man is a masterpiece of creation, if only because no amount of determinism can prevent him from believing that he acts as a free being."

and

"Man...who lives in three places - in the past, in the present, and in the future - can be unhappy if one of these three is worthless. Religion has even added a fourth - eternity."

-Georg Christoph Litchenberg

"Men willingly believe what they wish." -Julius Caesar
06-05-2015, 04:15 PM
“And the greatest tragedy of our age is we don't listen to our consciences. We don't say what we think. We feel one thing and do another.” - Vasily Grossman

Mikhail Bakunin.
07-05-2015, 05:59 PM
(06-05-2015 04:15 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  “And the greatest tragedy of our age is we don't listen to our consciences. We don't say what we think. We feel one thing and do another.” - Vasily Grossman
Enjoyed this thread.
However since my membership is strongly limited I find participation unsatisfactory.
Attempts to toe 'the party line' have seemingly been ignored by others, so what's the point.
Comments such as 'people enjoy playing bait the Woof' have not helped.
I am even banned from providing a 'like' re the good news a member received.
Too many bans, along with little co-operation see such a membership unproductive and not really worth pursuing.
Good luck with this thread Deidre, quotes can be very powerful.
07-05-2015, 07:19 PM (This post was last modified: 07-05-2015 07:30 PM by GirlyMan.)
(07-05-2015 05:59 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
(06-05-2015 04:15 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  “And the greatest tragedy of our age is we don't listen to our consciences. We don't say what we think. We feel one thing and do another.” - Vasily Grossman
Enjoyed this thread.
However since my membership is strongly limited I find participation unsatisfactory.
Attempts to toe 'the party line' have seemingly been ignored by others, so what's the point.
Too many bans, along with little co-operation see such a membership unproductive and not really worth pursuing.

Those restraints were there for your own protection, WolfMan. I will petition The Man to relax those restraints if you agree to not give any credence or attention to or respond to any comments from a certain gay 20-something virgin Kiwi currently under Maori supervision.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
07-05-2015, 08:21 PM
(07-05-2015 05:59 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  
Enjoyed this thread.
stay woof. i've liked your presence in this thread. Sad
Hug

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post