Great quotes

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 3.71 Average
19-05-2015, 08:12 PM
RE: Great quotes
" The mystery of the beginning of all things is insoluble by us;and I for one must be content to be an agnostic"----Charles Darwin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-05-2015, 11:42 PM
(17-05-2015 06:33 PM)Deidre32 Wrote:  So, I'm in love. I've been seeing a guy for a little while now...and yep, it's gone over the like mode into love. If I start posting too many love quotes, feel free to ban me. Laugh out load

Made me think of this Tongue

[Image: budd-elf-im-in-love-gif.gif]

Heart Happy for you Hug

Since this is a quote thread, here's a beautiful love quote for you, Deidre:

When you meet the one who changes the way your heart beats, dance with them to that rhythm for as long as the song lasts. - Kirk Diedrich

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 3 users Like Nurse's post
20-05-2015, 01:45 AM
You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything away from them. But when you've robbed a man of everything, he's no longer in your power - he's free again.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post
23-05-2015, 05:18 PM
"Cease every joy to glimmer on my mind
But leave---oh! leave the light of Hope behind" Thomas Campbell.
23-05-2015, 06:53 PM
"Beer is proof God loves us and wants us to be happy" anonymous
24-05-2015, 01:11 AM
"A casual stroll through the lunatic asylum shows that faith does not prove anything".

Friedrich Nietzsche.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
24-05-2015, 02:20 AM
(20-05-2015 01:45 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything away from them. But when you've robbed a man of everything, he's no longer in your power - he's free again.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.

One of my favorites comes from Solzhenitsyn as well:

Quote:If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?
[+] 3 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
24-05-2015, 02:41 AM
(24-05-2015 02:20 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  
(20-05-2015 01:45 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  You only have power over people so long as you don't take everything away from them. But when you've robbed a man of everything, he's no longer in your power - he's free again.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn.

One of my favorites comes from Solzhenitsyn as well:

Quote:If only it were all so simple! If only there were evil people somewhere insidiously committing evil deeds, and it were necessary only to separate them from the rest of us and destroy them. But the line dividing good and evil cuts through the heart of every human being. And who is willing to destroy a piece of his own heart?

Solzhenitsyn is one of my favorite writers and I have to say that quotes from him usually strike a chord. And he describe ideology perfectly I would say:
Quote:Ideology – that is what gives evildoing its long-sought justification and gives the evildoer the necessary steadfastness and determination. That is the social theory which helps to make his acts seem good instead of bad in his own and other’s eyes, so that he won’t hear reproaches and curses but will receive praise and honors. That was how the agents of the Inquisition fortified their wills: by invoking Christianity; the conquerors of foreign lands, by extolling the grandeur of their Motherland; the colonizers, by civilization; the Nazis by race; and the Jacobins (early and late), by equality, brotherhood, and the happiness of future generations.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
24-05-2015, 02:45 AM
He is not the most artful writer I've ever read, but the courage of conviction which fuels his prose is amazing -- there is no other word for it.
24-05-2015, 03:02 AM
(24-05-2015 02:45 AM)Thumpalumpacus Wrote:  He is not the most artful writer I've ever read, but the courage of conviction which fuels his prose is amazing -- there is no other word for it.

I like his writing style, though indeed likes of Bulgakov or Grossman are better, in my opinion at least. As for courage, one can not say that Solzhenitsyn lacked it, though Isaac Babel with his "Red Cavalry" also could be ranked quite high on list of courageous writers, at least for this novel, if not for his later behaviour.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post