Great quotes

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.5 Average
23-06-2015, 01:55 AM
RE: Great quotes
Isn't it the moment of most profound doubt that gives birth to new certainties? Perhaps hopelessness is the very soil that nourishes human hope; perhaps one could never find sense in life without first experiencing its absurdity.

Vaclav Havel.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
23-06-2015, 09:31 AM
"Beware the irrational, however seductive. Shun the transcendent and all who invite you to subordinate or annihilate yourself. Distrust compassion; prefer dignity for yourself and others. Don't be afraid to be thought arrogant or selfish. Picture all experts as if they were mammals. Never be a spectator of unfairness or stupidity. Seek out argument and disputation for their own sake; the grave will supply plenty of time for silence. Suspect your own motives and all excuses. Do not live for others any more than you would expect others to live for you."

Christopher Hitchens
[+] 2 users Like 7R0MM3L's post
23-06-2015, 06:11 PM
"It may be a reflection on human nature that ...devices should be necessary to control the abuses of government.But what is government, but the greatest of all reflections on human nature." James Madison.
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
25-06-2015, 04:38 PM
[Image: 10301433_817015418372945_5957152672670328188_n.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 6 users Like Full Circle's post
25-06-2015, 04:56 PM
"The mystery of the beginning of all things is insoluble by us; and I for one must be content to be an agnostic." Charles Darwin.
[+] 2 users Like Mr Woof's post
25-06-2015, 09:33 PM
[Image: 1116253db160013a6e42da54a67fe134.jpg]

Confused

"If there's a single thing that life teaches us, it's that wishing doesn't make it so." - Lev Grossman
[+] 4 users Like Nurse's post
25-06-2015, 09:49 PM (This post was last modified: 25-06-2015 09:53 PM by Banjo.)
(25-06-2015 09:33 PM)Nurse Wrote:  [Image: 1116253db160013a6e42da54a67fe134.jpg]

Confused

That is how I live!

I am so slow I only just got skype! Weeping

All truth passes through three stages. First, it is ridiculed. Second, it is violently opposed. Third, it is accepted as being self-evident.

Arthur Schopenhauer, German philosopher (1788 – 1860)

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
26-06-2015, 03:28 PM

Dog loves you.”
Dyslexic pentecostal

I sold my soul to Santa.”
Dyslexic satanist

The one, true, and real Harvey

Bene vixit, bene qui latuit
René Descartes
[+] 2 users Like Harvey's post
27-06-2015, 12:35 AM
"In each age man creates his god, in his own image, and within the confines of his own mental development."

~David Marshall Brooks

“ moral virtue comesabout as a result of habit.” --Aristotle

Secular Ethos
[+] 1 user Likes jthiret's post
27-06-2015, 05:33 AM
Faith may be defined briefly as an illogical belief in the occurrence of the improbable.

H.L. Mencken

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.