Great quotes

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 3.71 Average
19-07-2015, 08:59 AM (This post was last modified: 19-07-2015 09:15 AM by goodwithoutgod.)
RE: Great quotes
Some of my favorites I have kept:

Religion is poison because it asks us to give up our most precious faculty, which is that of reason, and to believe things without evidence. It then asks us to respect this, which it calls faith. - Christopher Hitchens

Dr. Steven Weinberg, a Nobel Laureate, said "Religion is an insult to humanity, with or without religion you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion."

Religions claim only their ways, beliefs and gods are right. They are not tolerant of anything or anybody else, regardless of what they might publicly claim. They look down at everyone else. Religions have never brought mankind closer together, but instead have driven huge wedges into humanity. Until we learn to love one another more than we love any god, the killing will continue.

“Religion has ever filled the mind of man with darkness, and kept him in ignorance of his real duties and true interests. It is only by dispelling the clouds and phantoms of Religion, that we shall discover Truth, Reason, and Morality. Religion diverts us from the causes of evils, and from the remedies which nature prescribes; far from curing, it only aggravates, multiplies, and perpetuates them.” - Baron d'Holbach

"Religion happens when humans need comfort for their inability to understand reality."- Mark Zvaleko

"Believing is easier than thinking. Hence so many more believers than thinkers."- Bruce Calvert

"If all the Atheists & Agnostics left America, they'd lose 93% of The National Academy of Sciences & less than 1% of the prison population." - Ricky Gervais

When a scientific theory disagrees with the data, the theory is discarded. When a religious theory disagrees with the data, the data is discarded. It is foolish to take anything on faith, which is a belief based on no evidence.” - Victor J Stenger, Particle physicist, philosopher

"If I were not an atheist, I would believe in a God who would choose to save people on the basis of the totality of their lives and not the pattern of their words. I think he would prefer an honest and righteous atheist to a TV preacher whose every word is God, God, God, and whose every deed is foul, foul, foul." .” - Isaac Asimov, American author and professor of biochemistry at Boston University

"We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances." - Isaac Newton

"All thinking men are atheists." — Ernest Hemingway

"The whole thing (religion) is so patently infantile, so foreign to reality, that to anyone with a friendly attitude to humanity it is painful to think that the great majority of mortals will never be able to rise above this view of life." — Sigmund Freud

"Religion has long been regarded by the common people as true, by the wise as false, and by the rulers as useful." — Edward Gibbon

"Believers do good things out of fear of death and hell and expectations of great rewards.
Atheists do the right thing because it's the human thing to do."

"Religion - It's like history class without the facts."

“If we go back to the beginning, we shall find that ignorance and fear created the gods; that fancy, enthusiasm, or deceit adorned them; that weakness worships them; that credulity preserves them and that custom, respect and tyranny support them in order to make the blindness of men serve their own interests. If the ignorance of nature gave birth to gods, the knowledge of nature is calculated to destroy them.”
Baron d'Holbach

"I like your Christ, I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ." - Mahatma Gandhi

"If this is your god he's not very impressive. He's got many psychological problems, he's so insecure he demands worship every seven days. He goes out and creates faulty humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes. He's a pretty poor excuse for a supreme being."
Spock

Dr Stephen Hawkins said "There is no god nor is there a need for one."

"If all the Christians who have called other Christians 'not really a Christian' were to vanish, there'd be no Christians left." - Anonymous.

"I contend that we are both atheists. I just believe in one fewer god than you do, When you understand why you dismiss all the other possible gods, you will understand why I dismiss yours" - Stephen Roberts.

- "Is God willing to prevent evil, but not able? Then he is not omnipotent. Is he able, but not willing? Then he is malevolent. Is he both able and willing? Then whence cometh evil? Is he neither able nor willing? Then why call him god?" - Epicurus.

"If one were to take the Bible seriously, one would go mad. But to take the Bible seriously, one must be already mad." -Aleister Crowley (1875-1947)

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)

"The word God is for me nothing more than the expression and product of
human weaknesses, the Bible a collection of honourable, but still primitive legends which are nevertheless pretty childish. No interpretation no matter how subtle can change this." - Albert Einstein

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” - Christopher Hitchens

"Q: Prove God doesn’t exist. A: That’s a tough one. Show me how it’s done by proving Zeus and Apollo don’t exist, and I’ll use your method."

"Who created god? If your answer is he always was, then why can’t you say the same for the universe?"

“I had to set limits to reason in order to make room for faith.” - Kant

"We are to admit no more causes of natural things than such as are both true and sufficient to explain their appearances." - Isaac Newton

Flex

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like goodwithoutgod's post
19-07-2015, 01:19 PM
[img][Image: opinions_zpsq3eryey5.jpg][/img]

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF
[+] 6 users Like Anjele's post
19-07-2015, 02:35 PM
(19-07-2015 08:17 AM)unfogged Wrote:  
(19-07-2015 12:54 AM)morondog Wrote:  You can't just wave it off like that, it's just a stream of consciousness.

Sure, set me adrift in a sea of nonsense...

I've a good mind to report you for using nautical words Angry

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
19-07-2015, 02:46 PM (This post was last modified: 19-07-2015 02:55 PM by unfogged.)
(19-07-2015 02:35 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(19-07-2015 08:17 AM)unfogged Wrote:  Sure, set me adrift in a sea of nonsense...

I've a good mind to report you for using nautical words Angry

That ship has already sailed.

ETA: We seem to have drifted from the point of this thread. We should probably stop before we sink it entirely.

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
19-07-2015, 07:33 PM
Ow. *dying sounds*

I'm melting, melting... what a world...

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
[+] 1 user Likes RocketSurgeon76's post
21-07-2015, 04:25 AM
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. - Douglas Adams

"I love the term magic realism. It's about expanding how you see the world. I think we live in an age where we're just hammered to think this is what the world is. Everything's saying 'That's the world.' And it's not the world. The world is a million possible things." - TG

Salman Rushdie talks to Terry Gilliam
[+] 2 users Like ArchibaldFunkdust's post
21-07-2015, 09:58 AM
(19-07-2015 07:33 PM)RocketSurgeon76 Wrote:  Ow. *dying sounds*

I'm melting, melting... what a world...

Wave good-bye.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
07-08-2015, 05:53 AM
"It is a tangled web we weave when we first practice to believe.” ~ Full Circle

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 4 users Like Full Circle's post
07-08-2015, 07:25 AM
(07-08-2015 05:53 AM)Full Circle Wrote:  "It is a tangled web we weave when we first practice to believe.” ~ Full Circle

Love it!

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
07-08-2015, 07:27 AM
Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, and the soul of soulless conditions. It is the opium of the people.

Karl Marx.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 3 users Like Szuchow's post