Great quotes

Thread Rating:
  • 6 Votes - 3.5 Average
27-08-2014, 04:04 PM
RE: Great quotes
"Faith is the excuse people give for believing something when they don't have a good reason."

-Matt Dillahunty

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
27-08-2014, 08:26 PM
(27-08-2014 03:59 PM)Free Thought Wrote:  Chas; I see your Jefferson and raise you a Paine:

"Government, even in its best state, is but a necessary evil; in its worst state, an intolerable one."

And I'll double-down on Jefferson:
"The care of human life and happiness, and not their destruction, is the first and only object of good government."

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
27-08-2014, 08:52 PM
What is more probable, that there was a virgin birth or that a little Jewish vixen lied?
~Christopher Hitchens

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
27-08-2014, 08:55 PM
Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.

H.G. Wells

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 3 users Like evenheathen's post
27-08-2014, 08:56 PM
The great enemy of the truth is very often not the lie -- deliberate, contrived and dishonest, but the myth, persistent, persuasive, and unrealistic. Belief in myths allows the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. ~John F. Kennedy

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
27-08-2014, 08:57 PM
If you're following the news, you know that the major religions differ in their interpretation of the holy books. For example, one way to interpret God's will is that you should love your neighbor. An alternate reading of the holy books might lead you to rig a donkey cart with small mortar rockets and aim it at a hotel full of infidels. In summary, po-tay-to, poh-tah-to. Religions are very flexible.
~Scott Adams

27-08-2014, 08:58 PM
When I became convinced that the Universe is natural — that all the ghosts and gods are myth, there entered into my brain, into my soul, into every drop of my blood, the sense, the feeling, the joy of freedom. The walls of my prison crumbled and fell, the dungeon was flooded with light and all the bolts, and bards, and manacles became dust. I was no longer a servant, a serf, or a slave.
~Robert G. Ingersoll

[+] 3 users Like Full Circle's post
27-08-2014, 09:09 PM
The christian resolve to find the world ugly and bad has made the world ugly and bad.

- Nietzsche

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 4 users Like evenheathen's post
28-08-2014, 08:41 PM
When people show you who they are...believe them the first time. - unknown?

Be true to yourself. Heart
[+] 1 user Likes Deidre32's post
28-08-2014, 09:38 PM
[Image: Voltaire.png]

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
[+] 7 users Like CindysRain's post