Great quotes

Thread Rating:
  • 7 Votes - 3.71 Average
23-09-2015, 10:56 AM
RE: Great quotes
(23-09-2015 10:10 AM)jennybee Wrote:  [Image: quotes-about-not-finding-love-finding-love-quotes.jpg]

I think it's ironic how they always use a perfect looking couples in these kind of things.

"I'm a model, and it's the best thing to find another model who loves me in spite of my non-existent flaws." Tongue

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Can_of_Beans's post
23-09-2015, 11:09 AM
(23-09-2015 10:43 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(23-09-2015 10:41 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  "They who dream by day are cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night."
- Edgar Allan Poe

Love that!

It's one of my favorites, too. In fact, Poe has quite a lot of my favorite quotes, as does Lovecraft. Most of them wouldn't really fit in this thread, though, because they're made great by context, or are just great examples of beautifully-written prose rather than philosophical statements. Some examples:

It was now midnight, and my task was drawing to a close. I had completed the eighth, the ninth and the tenth tier. I had finished a portion of the last and the eleventh; there remained but a single stone to be fitted and plastered in. I struggled with its weight; I placed it partially in its destined position. But now there came from out the niche a low laugh that erected the hairs upon my head. It was succeeded by a sad voice, which I had difficulty in recognizing as that of the noble Fortunato. The voice said--

"Ha! ha! ha! --he! he! he! --a very good joke, indeed --an excellent jest. We will have many a rich laugh about it at the palazzo --he! he! he! --over our wine --he! he! he!"

"The Amontillado!" I said.

"He! he! he! --he! he! he! --yes, the Amontillado. But is it not getting late? Will not they be awaiting us at the palazzo, the Lady Fortunato and the rest? Let us be gone."

"Yes," I said, "let us be gone."

"For the love of God, Montresor!"

"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!"
- Edgar Allan Poe, "The Cask of Amontillado"

Into the north window of my chamber glows the Pole Star with uncanny light. All through the long hellish hours of blackness it shines there. And in the autumn of the year, when the winds from the north curse and whine, and the red-leaved trees of the swamp mutter things to one another in the small hours of the morning under the horned waning moon, I sit by the casement and watch that star. Down from the heights reels the glittering Cassiopeia as the hours wear on, while Charles’ Wain lumbers up from behind the vapour-soaked swamp trees that sway in the night-wind. Just before dawn Arcturus winks ruddily from above the cemetery on the low hillock, and Coma Berenices shimmers weirdly afar off in the mysterious east; but still the Pole Star leers down from the same place in the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey. Sometimes, when it is cloudy, I can sleep.
- H. P. Lovecraft, "Polaris"

And Kuranes reigned thereafter over Ooth-Nargai and all the neighbouring regions of dream, and held his court alternately in Celephaïs and in the cloud-fashioned Serannian. He reigns there still, and will reign happily forever, though below the cliffs at Innsmouth the channel tides played mockingly with the body of a tramp who had stumbled through the half-deserted village at dawn; played mockingly, and cast it upon the rocks by ivy-covered Trevor Towers, where a notably fat and especially offensive millionaire brewer enjoys the purchased atmosphere of extinct nobility.
- H. P. Lovecraft, "Celephais"

Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places. For them are the catacombs of Ptolemais, and the carven mausolea of the nightmare countries. They climb to the moonlit towers of ruined Rhine castles, and falter down black cobwebbed steps beneath the scattered stones of forgotten cities in Asia. The haunted wood and the desolate mountain are their shrines, and they linger around the sinister monoliths on uninhabited islands. But the true epicure in the terrible, to whom a new thrill of unutterable ghastliness is the chief end and justification of existence, esteems most of all the ancient, lonely farmhouses of backwoods New England; for there the dark elements of strength, solitude, grotesqueness, and ignorance combine to form the perfection of the hideous.
- H. P. Lovecraft, "The Picture in the House"

But for another of the short, sweet, and memorable kind:

"I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat."
- Edgar Allan Poe

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
[+] 2 users Like Unbeliever's post
23-09-2015, 11:18 AM
In honor of Yogi Barra, who passed away yesterday, here's some of his "yogi-isms":

"It's deja vu all over again!"
"When you come to a fork in the road take it."
"Always go to other people's funerals. Otherwise, they won't go to yours."

Tongue
[+] 5 users Like EppurSiMuove's post
23-09-2015, 11:19 AM
(23-09-2015 11:09 AM)Unbeliever Wrote:  
(23-09-2015 10:43 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Love that!

It's one of my favorites, too. In fact, Poe has quite a lot of my favorite quotes, as does Lovecraft. Most of them wouldn't really fit in this thread, though, because they're made great by context, or are just great examples of beautifully-written prose rather than philosophical statements. Some examples:

It was now midnight, and my task was drawing to a close. I had completed the eighth, the ninth and the tenth tier. I had finished a portion of the last and the eleventh; there remained but a single stone to be fitted and plastered in. I struggled with its weight; I placed it partially in its destined position. But now there came from out the niche a low laugh that erected the hairs upon my head. It was succeeded by a sad voice, which I had difficulty in recognizing as that of the noble Fortunato. The voice said--

"Ha! ha! ha! --he! he! he! --a very good joke, indeed --an excellent jest. We will have many a rich laugh about it at the palazzo --he! he! he! --over our wine --he! he! he!"

"The Amontillado!" I said.

"He! he! he! --he! he! he! --yes, the Amontillado. But is it not getting late? Will not they be awaiting us at the palazzo, the Lady Fortunato and the rest? Let us be gone."

"Yes," I said, "let us be gone."

"For the love of God, Montresor!"

"Yes," I said, "for the love of God!"
- Edgar Allan Poe, "The Cask of Amontillado"

Into the north window of my chamber glows the Pole Star with uncanny light. All through the long hellish hours of blackness it shines there. And in the autumn of the year, when the winds from the north curse and whine, and the red-leaved trees of the swamp mutter things to one another in the small hours of the morning under the horned waning moon, I sit by the casement and watch that star. Down from the heights reels the glittering Cassiopeia as the hours wear on, while Charles’ Wain lumbers up from behind the vapour-soaked swamp trees that sway in the night-wind. Just before dawn Arcturus winks ruddily from above the cemetery on the low hillock, and Coma Berenices shimmers weirdly afar off in the mysterious east; but still the Pole Star leers down from the same place in the black vault, winking hideously like an insane watching eye which strives to convey some strange message, yet recalls nothing save that it once had a message to convey. Sometimes, when it is cloudy, I can sleep.
- H. P. Lovecraft, "Polaris"

And Kuranes reigned thereafter over Ooth-Nargai and all the neighbouring regions of dream, and held his court alternately in Celephaïs and in the cloud-fashioned Serannian. He reigns there still, and will reign happily forever, though below the cliffs at Innsmouth the channel tides played mockingly with the body of a tramp who had stumbled through the half-deserted village at dawn; played mockingly, and cast it upon the rocks by ivy-covered Trevor Towers, where a notably fat and especially offensive millionaire brewer enjoys the purchased atmosphere of extinct nobility.
- H. P. Lovecraft, "Celephais"

Searchers after horror haunt strange, far places. For them are the catacombs of Ptolemais, and the carven mausolea of the nightmare countries. They climb to the moonlit towers of ruined Rhine castles, and falter down black cobwebbed steps beneath the scattered stones of forgotten cities in Asia. The haunted wood and the desolate mountain are their shrines, and they linger around the sinister monoliths on uninhabited islands. But the true epicure in the terrible, to whom a new thrill of unutterable ghastliness is the chief end and justification of existence, esteems most of all the ancient, lonely farmhouses of backwoods New England; for there the dark elements of strength, solitude, grotesqueness, and ignorance combine to form the perfection of the hideous.
- H. P. Lovecraft, "The Picture in the House"

But for another of the short, sweet, and memorable kind:

"I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat."
- Edgar Allan Poe

A favorite of mine by Lovecraft is The Picture in the House--love that one, such a creepy story. I love Poe as well--especially The Tell-tale Heart.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
23-09-2015, 11:20 AM
(23-09-2015 11:18 AM)EppurSiMuove Wrote:  In honor of Yogi Barra, who passed away yesterday, here's some of his "yogi-isms":

"It's deja vu all over again!"
"When you come to a fork in the road take it."
"Always go to other people's funerals. Otherwise, they won't go to yours."

Tongue

Heart When you come to a fork in the road, take it.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
23-09-2015, 11:23 AM (This post was last modified: 23-09-2015 12:17 PM by jennybee.)
(23-09-2015 10:56 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(23-09-2015 10:10 AM)jennybee Wrote:  [Image: quotes-about-not-finding-love-finding-love-quotes.jpg]

I think it's ironic how they always use a perfect looking couples in these kind of things.

"I'm a model, and it's the best thing to find another model who loves me in spite of my non-existent flaws." Tongue

I just liked the quote Tongue I'll try and find some butt-ugly looking people in the next picture quote I find Big Grin

Btw-you're jacked to all bejeebus, so you could be in one of these model-y quote pics too Yes

23-09-2015, 12:38 PM
(23-09-2015 11:23 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(23-09-2015 10:56 AM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  I think it's ironic how they always use a perfect looking couples in these kind of things.

I just liked the quote Tongue I'll try and find some butt-ugly looking people in the next picture quote I find Big Grin

Btw-you're jacked to all bejeebus, so you could be in one of these model-y quote pics too Yes

Awww...thanks Blush

BTW, be careful looking for ugly couples. Google images returned some NSFW results I could have done without. Gasp

"I feel as though the camera is almost a kind of voyeur in Mr. Beans life, and you just watch this bizarre man going about his life in the way that he wants to."

-Rowan Atkinson
[+] 1 user Likes Can_of_Beans's post
23-09-2015, 01:11 PM
(23-09-2015 12:38 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  
(23-09-2015 11:23 AM)jennybee Wrote:  I just liked the quote Tongue I'll try and find some butt-ugly looking people in the next picture quote I find Big Grin

Awww...thanks Blush

BTW, be careful looking for ugly couples. Google images returned some NSFW results I could have done without. Gasp

Dodgy Now I have no choice but to try that.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
23-09-2015, 01:21 PM
(23-09-2015 01:11 PM)yakherder Wrote:  
(23-09-2015 12:38 PM)Can_of_Beans Wrote:  Awww...thanks Blush

Dodgy Now I have no choice but to try that.

I was just browsing the People of Walmart website. No one's ugly--I really don't like calling people ugly--but damn some of the choices of clothing Laugh out load

24-09-2015, 08:37 AM
[Image: tumblr_mwmhlk2jSg1s6bv3fo1_500.jpg]

[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post