Great, so my husband is now one of those people who says God made evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-02-2014, 09:23 PM
Great, so my husband is now one of those people who says God made evolution
I find this so infuriating. Its like they try to take what we know through science and hijack it into something that suits their religious agenda. I'm very annoyed right now, its like there's no argument they can't find a way to twist. Help me.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-02-2014, 09:26 PM
RE: Great, so my husband is now one of those people who says God made evolution
(04-02-2014 09:23 PM)FICKLEish Wrote:  I find this so infuriating. Its like they try to take what we know through science and hijack it into something that suits their religious agenda. I'm very annoyed right now, its like there's no argument they can't find a way to twist. Help me.

You could ask him where in the bible does it say anything like that.
04-02-2014, 09:28 PM
I'm so sorry, babe. Sad

I know it's annoying, but all you can do is hope for the best and maybe have a conversation about it every now and then.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
04-02-2014, 09:43 PM
(04-02-2014 09:23 PM)FICKLEish Wrote:  I find this so infuriating. Its like they try to take what we know through science and hijack it into something that suits their religious agenda. I'm very annoyed right now, its like there's no argument they can't find a way to twist. Help me.

Try refuting the bible.

God is a concept by which we measure our pain -- John Lennon

[+] 1 user Likes Momsurroundedbyboys's post
04-02-2014, 09:44 PM
You might ask him why god would waste all those millions of years of no human beings to love and the vast number of now extinct species. Why not just cut to the chase and do it the YEC way?
[+] 2 users Like freetoreason's post
04-02-2014, 09:47 PM
(04-02-2014 09:43 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  

Try refuting the bible.

At the same time as asking him WHY an all powerful creator needs to create the universe that way and then 'inspire' one of his OWN BIOGRAPHERS to state the beginning of all things as Genesis???

A man blames his bad childhood on leprechauns. He claims they don't exist, but yet still says without a doubt that they stole all his money and then killed his parents. That's why he became Leprechaun-Man

Im_Ryan forum member
04-02-2014, 09:55 PM
CHALLENGE HIM TO READ THE BIBLE WORD FOR WORD!

[Image: v0jpzpT.png]
[+] 2 users Like Alex_Leonardo's post
04-02-2014, 10:49 PM
Ask him what the point of creating Adam & Eve in genesis was. It contradicts evolution pretty clearly.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
04-02-2014, 11:31 PM
What was he before ? If he was a Young Earth Creationist this could be a sign of him waking up a bit... at least admitting that the Bible cannot be literally true.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
05-02-2014, 03:56 AM
Here's an argument to directly address his idea.

If God created evolution then it means that God is less relevant to our lives. Humans are no longer his direct creation but a very small part of a very large process.

I am a professional researcher in the field of Artificial Intelligence. One of the main difficulties in creating true AI also applies here.

How do you design a robot that will adapt to an unknown environment or situation if you yourself do not know what it needs to adapt to?

As an example, say you were designing an AI vacuum cleaning robot. You don't know all the different rooms that it will be used in and what those rooms will contain. You could program a robot to recognise walls, but forget that the robot may be used at the top of stairs. You could program the robot to avoid large stationary objects like table legs and chairs and the robot tries sucking up the cat.

The solution to this is to give up some control about how the robot acts and instead give it the ability to adapt.

Your husband may argue that God is omniscient and therefore unlike the AI designer does know all the situations that humans will find themselves in, but then why give us the ability to think? (or free will as they call it). Why aren't we automatons?

I'd personally say that your husband accepting the concept of evolution is actually a positive step in the right direction. People do not always rid themselves of superstitions over-night, they start shedding off the most ridiculous parts of it first.