Great, so my husband is now one of those people who says God made evolution

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-02-2014, 06:51 AM
RE: Great, so my husband is now one of those people who says God made evolution
(04-02-2014 09:23 PM)FICKLEish Wrote:  I find this so infuriating. Its like they try to take what we know through science and hijack it into something that suits their religious agenda. I'm very annoyed right now, its like there's no argument they can't find a way to twist. Help me.

Yeah, I used to be the same way. It's all non-falsifiable. Be glad he accepts evolution. It's possible his mind relatively open, and he might be up for having his world-view gradually changed. On a much lighter note...

Obligatory SMBC cartoon!
[Image: 20100919.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like RobbyPants's post
05-02-2014, 06:52 AM
I'm an atheist and my husband is a believer~so this topic isn't completely foreign to me. On more than one occasion, my husband has twisted my arguments to fit his bible. And you're right, it's infuriating! I've been married for 8 years, and the only solution I've found is to just NOT talk about religion. No matter what I say, he's got a way to twist it. So because of the risk of having to admit he's a brainwashed moron, we just don't discuss it. The few times we've discussed religion, I've showed him how the bible is impossible, the contradictions, and how all of that is explained by science~which was an utter waste of time. We haven't discussed religion in a couple years, but yesterday my children got a letter home advertising a movie night at school. The movie~All Dogs Go to Heaven~this might be my chance to try this discussion again. But don't get too mad with him. The arguments given in this thread are all good, but telling him only once is not going to be good enough...so remember them for next time it comes up too.

~Philosophy is questions that may never be answered. Religion is answers that may never be questioned.~
[+] 1 user Likes kellyrm's post
05-02-2014, 07:12 AM
So now he's using the good old god of the gap thingy. Just throw him the usual arguments and you'll be fine Smile

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
05-02-2014, 10:56 AM
(04-02-2014 09:23 PM)FICKLEish Wrote:  I find this so infuriating. Its like they try to take what we know through science and hijack it into something that suits their religious agenda. I'm very annoyed right now, its like there's no argument they can't find a way to twist. Help me.

Just out of curiosity, why does this annoy you? Would you prefer that your husband not believe in evolution? Would you prefer that your husband not be open-minded enough to change his opinion based on new information that he found compelling?

Think about it from his perspective for a second. If you believe God exists, and you accept the evidence that evolution exists, how is it inconsistent to believe that God made evolution?

After all, evolution itself isn't necessarily logically inconsistent with young earth creation (if your husband believes in that). It would just mean that evolution has only been working for a relatively short period of time (thousands of years vs billions of years). Remember, evolution is like counting. If you start counting from the number 1 and I start counting from number 8, we are still going to both get to the number 10...it'll just take you longer.

Anyways, you should think carefully about that, because you are never going to convince your husband that he is wrong with science. Remember, science is only the study of the universe. Anyone who believes in any sort of a creator should believe that science is simply the study of God's creation. Thomas Paine (one of the founding fathers and a deist, like myself) referred to science as "The True Theology" because his conception of God was a being who we could only truly understand by studying his creation.

Personally, I think you should be happy that your husband is open-minded enough to accept evolution. Take it for what it is, and don't expect evolution or any other sort of scientific discovery to help you convince his that his religion is wrong. Science is the wrong language for this, for the reasons I expressed above. You have to address the issue using philosophy. I just finished reading Thomas Paine's "Age of Reason" (it's available in audiobook on audible.com, too). That might be a good one to have him listen to. It approaches the Christian religion from a perspective that I had never considered before and may help to open his mind up to the possibility that God may not have the attributes that his religion commonly ascribes to him.
[+] 2 users Like lookingforanswers's post
05-02-2014, 11:12 AM
I personally don't see a problem here. I'm not at all bothered by the fact that people believe in god.
If god do exist then I suppose your husband is right being that evolution is a simple fact of nature. Unless god is subject to the laws of nature at which point nature is the true god.
I've never been bothered, as I said, by believers but creationists drive me nuts.
Perhaps god exists, perhaps not. I don't know and I don't really care. But evolution is a fact and to deny it is irrational and frankly idiotic!
All I can really say is that at least you husband excepts evolution. That's in my opinion most important.
Of course there are also those who do real shitty things in the name of god but I suspect that you husband is not one of those folks. If he were you probably would have posted something very different.
I know it can be a little annoying but it could be a hell of a lot worse. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
05-02-2014, 11:29 AM
Not a new dilemma, Fickle. Robert Green Ingersoll....who died in 1899...addressed it.

Quote:The Church demonstrated the falsity and folly of Darwin's theories by showing that they contradicted the Mosaic account of creation, and now that the theories of Darwin having been fairly established, the Church says that the Mosaic account is true because it is in harmony with Darwin. Now, if it should turn out that Darwin was mistaken, what then?
-- Robert Green Ingersoll

[Image: reality.jpg?imgmax=800]
[+] 1 user Likes Minimalist's post
05-02-2014, 12:01 PM
Actually, the concerns we have with it have already been addressed. In this thread. Right before you guys posted....in the same thread.

Totally just ignore the rest of the thread and post whatever, though. I guess your opinions are the only ones that matter.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 1 user Likes Cephalotus's post
05-02-2014, 01:06 PM
(05-02-2014 12:01 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  Actually, the concerns we have with it have already been addressed. In this thread. Right before you guys posted....in the same thread.

Totally just ignore the rest of the thread and post whatever, though. I guess your opinions are the only ones that matter.
Really? Excuse me there Fickleish for want to add my perspective. Oh wait.. Your not Fickleish...
Well your right that I didn't read the rest of the comments but I have a real life outside!
05-02-2014, 01:15 PM
Meh. I suppose I shouldn't start a fight when it's not warranted. I am holding a wine cooler right now, and I shall *cheers* you. It's something that gets on my nerves too.

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
[+] 1 user Likes Cephalotus's post
05-02-2014, 01:38 PM
(05-02-2014 01:15 PM)Cephalotus Wrote:  Meh. I suppose I shouldn't start a fight when it's not warranted. I am holding a wine cooler right now, and I shall *cheers* you. It's something that gets on my nerves too.
And cheers to you...