Greatest asset or greatest downfall?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-03-2013, 06:31 PM
RE: Greatest asset or greatest downfall?
(30-03-2013 06:07 PM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Does the parrot watch you eat?

He can see me as of late since I moved him into the living room. But most of his life he was a kitchen bird.

He can name most fruit and veggies. Somehow he knows when I bring home a roasted chicken from the market, and yells "chicken" as soon as I come in. He loves to eat chicken. (Parrots are omnivores).

He says hello and good bye appropriately.

I think I posted this before, but he also surprised me with his language/concept skills. He had only ever seen slices of a corn cob, never a whole one as he could not see me take it out of the fridge or cut it. He did, however, know whole bananas as he could see the fruit bowl from his cage. One day I held up a whole corn cob. He looked at it and said: "cornana".

It's corn, but it's a whole thing like a banana. Now if that isn't intelligence, combining two concepts and creating a new word, I don't know what is.

Back to "has he seen me eat" - he did see me putting food in bowls and pots. He may have gotten the walnut idea from that...

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Dom's post
30-03-2013, 10:18 PM
(30-03-2013 05:44 PM)Dom Wrote:  
(30-03-2013 04:54 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  I concur. Animals are much more intelligent than most people give them credit for. We have two dachshunds and they're quite smart. Not as in trained to do stupid tricks smart but actually perceptive and understanding of their environments. They have distinct personalities, preferences and mannerisms and they demonstrate altruistic behavior. The only thing I don't know is where that ability stops or why.

Dogs think only "straight" while we think "around corners". Meaning that the dog will associate the last thing that happened with what is currently happening. They do not associate something that happened even just 5 minutes ago with the present. There has to be a direct link.

Say your dog is frolicking outside and you call him. He does not come. After a bit you get mad and call him. Still nothing. The third time he comes. By now you are fuming. If you now punish the dog, you are teaching him the opposite of what you want to teach. You are teaching him that if he comes when called, he gets punished. That is the last thing he did before you punished him, so that is the cause of the punishment.

So he has now learned not to come when called. Thousands of dogs have been ruined like that.

Another common example is that you come home to find that your dog chewed up the couch. You are mad and punish him. What has he learned? You are mad when you come home. So now he is scared when you leave, because he will be punished when you come back. He is nervous, so he chews. Ends up at the pound and doesn't know why, except that he failed to keep you at home and let you leave. Thousands of dogs are ruined like that, too.

Dogs only master linear thinking. Our thoughts are much more complex.

That, however, does not address imagination....

I agree. But just to clarify... our dogs are females and, they do not get punished. Ever. If one of our dogs takes off in chase toward a dangerous place, we do yell and scream to the degree that is necessary to divert their attention but they do not suffer any punishment for doing what they were programmed by nature to do. And given that the elder is thirteen and the younger is eleven, we seldom ever have need to raise our voice to call them away from danger. They're a part of the family and in our family, we don't yell at, punish or hit those we love.

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-04-2013, 10:10 AM
(30-03-2013 10:18 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  
(30-03-2013 05:44 PM)Dom Wrote:  Dogs think only "straight" while we think "around corners". Meaning that the dog will associate the last thing that happened with what is currently happening. They do not associate something that happened even just 5 minutes ago with the present. There has to be a direct link.

Say your dog is frolicking outside and you call him. He does not come. After a bit you get mad and call him. Still nothing. The third time he comes. By now you are fuming. If you now punish the dog, you are teaching him the opposite of what you want to teach. You are teaching him that if he comes when called, he gets punished. That is the last thing he did before you punished him, so that is the cause of the punishment.

So he has now learned not to come when called. Thousands of dogs have been ruined like that.

Another common example is that you come home to find that your dog chewed up the couch. You are mad and punish him. What has he learned? You are mad when you come home. So now he is scared when you leave, because he will be punished when you come back. He is nervous, so he chews. Ends up at the pound and doesn't know why, except that he failed to keep you at home and let you leave. Thousands of dogs are ruined like that, too.

Dogs only master linear thinking. Our thoughts are much more complex.

That, however, does not address imagination....

I agree. But just to clarify... our dogs are females and, they do not get punished. Ever. If one of our dogs takes off in chase toward a dangerous place, we do yell and scream to the degree that is necessary to divert their attention but they do not suffer any punishment for doing what they were programmed by nature to do. And given that the elder is thirteen and the younger is eleven, we seldom ever have need to raise our voice to call them away from danger. They're a part of the family and in our family, we don't yell at, punish or hit those we love.

I was in no way implying that you did. I was just giving examples of linear thinking.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
01-04-2013, 07:22 PM
(01-04-2013 10:10 AM)Dom Wrote:  
(30-03-2013 10:18 PM)bbeljefe Wrote:  I agree. But just to clarify... our dogs are females and, they do not get punished. Ever. If one of our dogs takes off in chase toward a dangerous place, we do yell and scream to the degree that is necessary to divert their attention but they do not suffer any punishment for doing what they were programmed by nature to do. And given that the elder is thirteen and the younger is eleven, we seldom ever have need to raise our voice to call them away from danger. They're a part of the family and in our family, we don't yell at, punish or hit those we love.

I was in no way implying that you did. I was just giving examples of linear thinking.

I didn't infer that. I was just sharing. Smile

The beginning of wisdom is to call things by their right names. - Chinese Proverb
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user