Greedy charity

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-08-2016, 01:18 PM
RE: Greedy charity
(09-08-2016 11:55 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I trust very few charities. Like only one. We foster the homeless hounds. Nobody in the organization gets paid diddly. And the dogfood is tax deductible.

[Image: ThePack.jpg]

Somebody has a whole pack of worshippers! Laugh out load Good for you guys!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
09-08-2016, 01:55 PM
I don't give to charities that aren't transparent, nor to those which don't already service my concerns.

I will, however, occasionally give a couple of bucks to a guy who just wants a beer.
[+] 7 users Like Thumpalumpacus's post
09-08-2016, 02:56 PM
(09-08-2016 08:30 AM)Aliza Wrote:  On the other hand, they’re sure they’ve “got this” and don’t need any help, and I’ve felt frustrated and undervalued when I’ve been disregarded in the past.

I think this sums it up. If I'm reading this correctly they are unlikely to either show you where the money is going or change their approach. You might consider sending them a brief note but I wouldn't expect any reply.

---
Flesh and blood of a dead star, slain in the apocalypse of supernova, resurrected by four billion years of continuous autocatalytic reaction and crowned with the emergent property of sentience in the dream that the universe might one day understand itself.
[+] 1 user Likes Paleophyte's post
09-08-2016, 04:39 PM
(09-08-2016 11:17 AM)Dom Wrote:  I donate goods and not money most of the time. Then I can see exactly where it goes. And nobody can use it to pay their bar tab.

If you donate clothing, it is often used as rags in industry.

I am supported by a cancer charity. It's hard for them. They have to pay for advertising, staff etc.

Where should the money go? To those who need it. You want entertainment? Go see a film.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
09-08-2016, 05:06 PM
(09-08-2016 04:39 PM)Banjo Wrote:  
(09-08-2016 11:17 AM)Dom Wrote:  I donate goods and not money most of the time. Then I can see exactly where it goes. And nobody can use it to pay their bar tab.

If you donate clothing, it is often used as rags in industry.

I am supported by a cancer charity. It's hard for them. They have to pay for advertising, staff etc.

Where should the money go? To those who need it. You want entertainment? Go see a film.

I donate dog kibble to a charity that saves dogs who are on death row at various pounds. I can see it being fed to the dogs. Smile

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post
09-08-2016, 06:34 PM
I don't donate anything because I'm poor... and cheap. Mostly cheap. Ok, 100% cheap.
But if I did it'd probably be to Starship Children's Hospital or CanTeen (cancer in children and teenagers charity) or Make a Wish.

Kids don't deserve to have shitty diseases so the more we can do for them the better IMO.
[+] 5 users Like earmuffs's post
09-08-2016, 10:28 PM
I donate to the local Symphony; to two local hospital foundations, to support research, equipment purchases and patient care; to the Multiple Sclerosis society because I know a couple of people with MS; and regularly drop money in the donation cans at local pet stores.

I also donate usable housewares and clothing on a fairly regular basis, although with all the uncluttering I've done there really isn't much surplus stuff left to give away.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-08-2016, 12:03 AM
I don't do this out here, but when I lived in California I donated time, volunteering at a food-bank/homeless support charity called Project Understanding. I think a charity on the up-and-up appreciates that sort of donation just as much.
10-08-2016, 02:10 PM
I think maybe I’ve settled on a course of action. I’m going to begin by asking the couple who runs this non-profit for a copy of their programs and program expenses, operational costs and sources of revenue. This is information that many professionally run non-profits post on their websites or at least provide upon request. They should consider that people aren’t going to give significant amounts of money to a mom and pop charity that doesn’t account for their expenses. I’m hoping that they’ll provide me with the information so I can see what they really need or if they don’t have this information on hand, that they’ll recognize that this needs to be taken seriously if they plan to solicit large amounts of money.

If their information is in order, I will consider a larger donation than I normally give. Possibly, I’ll consider a step-up donation to work into something more generous over a period of a few years if they show a willingness to amend the mission statement to include the subjects that I’m most passionate about.
[+] 2 users Like Aliza's post
20-08-2016, 10:11 AM
I need some more direction. My post can be boiled down to the question I’ve asked below in bold.

I got the financials from the charity that asked me for the huge donation. Basically, I agree with the cost for services that they’re providing, but they’re also asking for a rather large “administration” fee. This is a married couple who is running this charity and the problem is that the actual services that they’re rendering probably equate to a part time job for only one of them. They’re putting on enrichment programs for children and the elderly, a few community events, and some fund raisers. I would venture to guess that 15 – 20 hours a week more than covers the actual work and preparation being performed.

For one program that they’re doing, they go into nursing homes and do art projects with the residents… for two hours, once a week. They’re billing the time spent acquiring supplies and coordinating with the nursing home to develop programs that are not only social, but are also therapeutic. I agree with the $7,200 annual valuation of their program.

What I don’t agree with is the additional $8,000 they’re billing for administration purposes. –And that’s just for one program. ALL of their programs have an additional 50 – 60% “administration” fee tacked on, leaving the couple with an apparent “salary” of about $80,000. This is in addition to hours they’re billing for performing the actual service.

I think it's possible that they're billing so much administrative costs so they can save up for office space, but considering their household size and the cost of living in my area, I find that unlikely. My friends are trying to do this non-profit service for a career, but I feel that they’re basically asking the community to float their household expenses while they grow this charity into something they can both legitimately do full time.

Knowing I could be wrong about the purpose of this administrative fee, how do I politely explain to my friends that if they can’t live off the part-time work of one person (actual hours being billed), then maybe they need to get jobs so they can grow this charity organically? On the one hand, I don’t want to talk to them about their personal financial matters, but on the other hand, I want them to be successful and they're fooling themselves if they think they’re getting a significant chunk of my money when more than half of it is going to go to paying their mortgage.