Greek word "δοῦλος" - or doulos, slave

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-02-2015, 08:23 PM
Greek word "δοῦλος" - or doulos, slave
Apologists often claim that this word, δοῦλος, Anglicized as doulos, as used in the New Testament means "servant" rather than "slave."

However, I've seen others say unequivocally that there is no Greek usage of δοῦλος that means "servant" — it is explicitly a word meaning a person who is owned by another.

Anybody have a good, solid scholarly citation for that?

Thanks.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
15-02-2015, 09:01 PM
RE: Greek word "δοῦλος" - or doulos, slave
(15-02-2015 08:23 PM)claywise Wrote:  Apologists often claim that this word, δοῦλος, Anglicized as doulos, as used in the New Testament means "servant" rather than "slave."

However, I've seen others say unequivocally that there is no Greek usage of δοῦλος that means "servant" — it is explicitly a word meaning a person who is owned by another.

Thanks.

Different versions of the NT do indeed translate it as "slave." The old King James version has it as "servant," but the newer Modern King James Version has corrected it to "slave."

It does mean slave, by the way.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
[+] 2 users Like Free's post
15-02-2015, 09:04 PM
(15-02-2015 09:01 PM)Free Wrote:  It does mean slave, by the way.

I know you! You are the Free who knows a whole lot of stuff about a whole lot of shit.

Thanks.

God does not work in mysterious ways — he works in ways that are indistinguishable from his non-existence.
Jesus had a pretty rough weekend for your sins.
15-02-2015, 09:31 PM
(15-02-2015 09:04 PM)claywise Wrote:  
(15-02-2015 09:01 PM)Free Wrote:  It does mean slave, by the way.

I know you! You are the Free who knows a whole lot of stuff about a whole lot of shit.

Thanks.

It's all fucking lies. I just make shit up as I go along.

Big Grin

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
[+] 1 user Likes Free's post
15-02-2015, 09:35 PM
(15-02-2015 09:01 PM)Free Wrote:  
(15-02-2015 08:23 PM)claywise Wrote:  Apologists often claim that this word, δοῦλος, Anglicized as doulos, as used in the New Testament means "servant" rather than "slave."

Thanks.

Different versions of the NT do indeed translate it as "slave." The old King James version has it as "servant," but the newer Modern King James Version has corrected it to "slave."

Possibly in Old KJV times "servant" and "slave" were synonymous?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
15-02-2015, 09:40 PM
(15-02-2015 09:35 PM)morondog Wrote:  
(15-02-2015 09:01 PM)Free Wrote:  Different versions of the NT do indeed translate it as "slave." The old King James version has it as "servant," but the newer Modern King James Version has corrected it to "slave."

Possibly in Old KJV times "servant" and "slave" were synonymous?

You are actually correct. It's olde English. The meanings of many words some 400 years ago when the KJV was made were in fact synonymous.

Nice catch.

15-02-2015, 11:13 PM
i do believe doulos means slave. but I believe the distinction at the time was often less than clear especially with citizenship in greece being tied in with property. I think in latin Servus can mean either servant, slave or son.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
15-02-2015, 11:15 PM
also I think both my New testament Greek books translate it as slave.

I'm homophobic in the same way that I'm arachnophobic. I'm not scared of gay people but I'm going to scream if I find one in my bath.

I'm. Also homophobic in the same way I'm arachnophobic. I'm scared of spiders but I'd still fuck'em.
- my friend Marc
16-02-2015, 03:59 AM
I don't know if this helps, but I'm Greek and I've studied some Ancient Greek and I've never seen any instance of the word "δοῦλος" meaning "servant".

I just looked into it a bit and it seems the word comes from an old Mycenaean word (do-e-ro) which clearly meant the opposite of "free".

After all, there were no servants in Ancient Greece. They were all slaves. Sure, some of them were like family, some of them had rights, some of them had rather prestigious jobs to do.

They were, however, slaves. They weren't free, they were property and their masters had complete control over them. The fact that sometimes there was respect, love or compassion between master and slave is irrelevant. They were NOT servants.

I can't really provide any citation for that because the etymology part would be in Greek and the rest of it is just facts, which would need many texts and lots of research to "prove".

I think the fact that there were no servants (at least in the way we know them today, working, getting paid and being respected) in ancient Greece is enough.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
16-02-2015, 04:23 AM
I would imagine that the concept of getting paid to do menial work is a pretty new one - probably industrial revolution? Before that I guess you'd either be poor and do it yourself or rich and have a servant/slave/peasant do it...

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.