Green Lantern is Gay!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
01-06-2012, 03:15 PM
RE: Green Lantern is Gay!
Y'all saw the Avengers. Good, good... that uh... that was some good shit right there... Whedon really knocked it out of the park... y'all know that Nick Fury used to be a white dude, right? Yeah. So this whole sanctity of comic characters crap is, well, crap.

What kinda bullshit is this? I GUARANTEE that I have more comics in my collection than any ten people here chosen at random. Do people actually think that sexual relationships are not a part of comics? Are you fucking kidding me? Like really, are you fucking kidding me? Do you have any idea how many couples there have been through the decades? And straight up marriages? But for some reason, homosexuals aren't allowed to get their representation? That's some go fuck yourself level bullshit.

Maybe people are right though. Green Lantern is an institution. Hal Jordan, I mean John Stewart, I mean Guy Gardiner, I mean Kyle Rayner, I mean... wait, who the fuck is this guy they made gay?

Fucking Green Lantern Guy Gardiner can be a classless male chauvinist who lusts after Ice much to the chagrin of Fire, but a gay man is taboo? I think that the Green Lantern is not the only one around here who should go eat a dick.

I`m not gonna challenge the religion anti-gay angle, but I will point out that homophobia goes well beyond religion. It`s a fucking plague. Our grandkids are gonna look at us and be like, "So tell me, crazy bigot grampa, why the fuck didn't homosexuals have rights?" and we're gonna have to be like, "No, I swear, I like the gays." And our grandkid's just gonna shake their head in shame.

And, Filox... you ARE being homophobic. You need to take some Ritalin on this one. Real talk. Big love. No homo Cool

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Ghost's post
01-06-2012, 03:25 PM
Man, I cannot debate these people any longer haha. Like 150 comments... 90% of which is the good ol' Stalin, Mao, Po Pot one... at least only 1 so far has included Hitler in that list.

God bless 'MERICA!!!

“We are all connected; To each other, biologically. To the earth, chemically. To the rest of the universe atomically.”

-Neil deGrasse Tyson
01-06-2012, 05:48 PM
(01-06-2012 03:15 PM)Ghost Wrote:  Maybe people are right though. Green Lantern is an institution. Hal Jordan, I mean John Stewart, I mean Guy Gardiner, I mean Kyle Rayner, I mean... wait, who the fuck is this guy they made gay?
My only real beef with the change is that Allen Scott is pretty much unknown to anyone who is not a comic geek. Might have made more sense to have a new character, although I also get that the story of an old dude that had to hide his homosexuality with a wife and kids adds more drama.

Still, I always thought Guy Gardner was a homo. I mean, come on...who has this haircut?

[Image: 150px-Guy_gardner_1.jpg]

Wait, I apologize. The gay men I know have better style.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
01-06-2012, 05:54 PM
(01-06-2012 01:33 PM)kineo Wrote:  I've read plenty of comics that inject some romance and some sex... look at Spiderman. Especially the Todd McFarlane Spiderman. His depiction of Maryjane was nothing less than fully sexed out.
Sometimes I really miss the 90's

[Image: 85637-158997-mary-jane_super.jpg]

I had a thing for Felicia Hardy too. Always wanted Peter to cheat on MJ with her. Big Grin

[Image: Black_Cat.jpg]

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
01-06-2012, 05:58 PM
Congratulations Ghost on being here to inject the truth on these comic book fans. I am confused by something big Filox, have you ever looked into the history of comic books? Superman, the first superhero, was created to help calm the public during a time of war. He actually was developed to deal with real world problems. Not to mention that in the 80's comic books went heavily into social issues. Comic books have always been a cultural thing they aren't seperate from the people who buy them they reinforce positive ideas within culture.

And seriously get over random old green lantern being rebooted. That his name wasn't changed does not in any way suggest it's the same continuity. I've read plenty of alternate realities in many superhero comics and I don't even really read superhero comics >.> I would think a real fan would see that that superhero they grew up with has done plenty of things that he originally didn't. And as far as that comic scene I've seen the same panels in the amazing spiderman. The only difference that is being made here is that the other person is a guy. Don't think of this as siply a gimmick they wanted to take it differently since there was no way this was a continuity and since they couldn't use his son with him so young they merged him with his gay son. Oh my!!!! Appauling and abhorrent burn the witch.

The green lantern will become a symbol for gays? If that were the case they would need to do more than make a single gay green lantern. I'm willing to bet that the only difference him being gay makes is who he comes home to. His missions will still be the same missions that any other superhero has. This comic will be about kicking ass and flashy super powers. And maybe, just maybe, he'll have to rescue his boyfriend rather than the constant incessant princess syndrome that superhero comics hold where the women need all the help.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
01-06-2012, 05:59 PM
Why do we have two threads about this? Oh well.

Ghost my man, you may have more comics than me NOW, but my collection back when I did horrid things for money was staggering. I was drunk about them. They were my shame at the time. Now that I look back it's the things that got me the money for them that is my shame. I miss my comics.

I do agree with you that the holy sanctity of continuity has already been broken.

I don't agree with changes for the sake of changes though. Not that I'm saying you do.
I like Sam Jackson, I think he's an interesting person and a slightly better than average actor. But I was annoyed that he was Nick Fury. I was also annoyed when the gargantuan Micheal Clarke Duncan was cast as Kingpin. However that whole movie was just shite, and honestly he was probably the best part of it. Guy is huge. Also I have no idea who would have made a better kingpin. That alone kept my fury at bay. I have no problem with casting due to quality of actor and who the right actor or actress is for a role. But I hate change just for the sake of change. Or shock value. That kills it for me.

I have no issue with Green lantern being gay so long as it's a different person who is the lantern, as multiple people have carried on the mantel already. Changing an already existing character within the same continuity makes no sense is is strictly a change for the sake of shock. I have no idea if this is what they are doing as I haven't looked into the issue far enough to see if they are changing an existing character or inventing a new one and placing them in the role of the lantern. I know... I've become lazy and complacent.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
01-06-2012, 06:00 PM
I think my collection out-weighed both of yours put together...I'm older so I've had more time to collect, and single so I had a lot more money to spend on crap. Big Grin

~Izel
01-06-2012, 06:04 PM
Dude, there was a huge surge in titles during my reign, which meant that on any given second week there would be a good 50 or so titles hitting the stands. During yours, there was only two real companies unless you count EC (which I do, horror comics rule) and they each had roughly 7 or 8 titles. Though they used to do weeklys back then didn't they? Never mind... Sad

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
01-06-2012, 07:07 PM
(01-06-2012 06:04 PM)lucradis Wrote:  Dude, there was a huge surge in titles during my reign, which meant that on any given second week there would be a good 50 or so titles hitting the stands. During yours, there was only two real companies unless you count EC (which I do, horror comics rule) and they each had roughly 7 or 8 titles. Though they used to do weeklys back then didn't they? Never mind... Sad

I'm not THAT old. (fucker)

While I had stuff from my childhood, the majority of my collection started around 1990 so I had just as many titles available to me as you young whippersnappers. Plus I was "investing" so I had to buy every #1 and every variant cover and every bagged or unbagged copy. Remember the death of Supes? My bank account does.

Not really bragging. I essentially bought a lot of crap along with the classics which I still enjoy from time to time.

~Izel
[+] 1 user Likes Erxomai's post
01-06-2012, 07:18 PM
I was the same way. I also had every issue dealing with the death of superman, though I drew the line when he came back. Awful storyline. Yes the 90's and image comics, let me tell you, glad I was a teenager because I'd feel weird getting comics that were all about the T$A as an adult. Though one of my favorite things to buy was Heavy Metal, and not just because there were boobies in it. There was some real talent being pooled.

Now I shall try and stop the derailing. Or is it derailing if it's still technically about comics?