Green Lantern is Gay!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-06-2012, 07:43 AM
RE: Green Lantern is Gay!
Wow, this is a heated religious debate. Tongue

Never much into comics. Most I prolly had was like six Spideys. He was my fave as a kid. From what was said, yeah, if they took an established GL and made him gay, that's BS. If it's a new or recent recipient of the ring, then no, I'm thinking.

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-06-2012, 12:37 PM
I love how one million moms has to push its own agenda and claims there is some radical, extremist, communist, nazi, gay agenda that is supposedly after them and ruining minds. The only minds that are ruined are those which are indoctrinated and don't think for themselves. I applaud facebook for taking the intelligent stand and I hope religious fanaticals realize that this isn't only their world.

"Mankind must put an end to war, or war will put an end to mankind." -John F Kennedy

The way to see by Faith is to shut the eye of Reason.” -Benjamin Franklin

It has been a long time. How have you been?
Find all posts by this user
04-06-2012, 06:17 PM
As is my tendency, I gave this a little think.

This is the best way they could have introduced homosexuality into their mainstream comics.

DC has already done gay characters before. Starman comes to mind. But who the fuck is Starman?

They could have made a new character, but there's two issues with that.

1 - If he doesn't pop he'll remain forever on the periphery, an anecdote, a hiccup in an otherwise heterosexual pantheon of heroes.

2 - If they made a gay character, he'd be just that. The gay character. He'd be like the token negro character. There for no other reason than so they can say, "See. We have one."

By taking one of the biggest characters in the history of the company, an integral part of their flagship superhero team, the Justice League, or in this world, the Justice Society, they bring homosexuality into the fold in a powerful way. It's not Starman, or Pinkman, or the Flaming Token, it's the Green Lantern, one of the single most powerful characters in their universe. It brings homosexuality front and centre without the comic having to be "about" homosexuality. Homosexuality becomes what it truly is; merely an integrated part of the human experience.

It also offers a positive role model for gay youth everywhere. You don't have to dream of being on the B-list, you can be at the top of the A-list if you want.

The only people this really affects negatively are homophobes and, well, to be as absolutely polite as I can possibly be, they can take the day off, go home, head upstairs to their bedrooms, light a few candles, lay down, relax and take twenty minutes to go fuck themselves.

Peace and Love and Empathy,

Matt
[+] 1 user Likes Ghost's post
04-06-2012, 07:10 PM
You do have a point Ghost.

By making an already established character gay instead of a new one, it means that he cant be thrust into the shadows like anyones garbage, and it also means he won't be the token gay guy.

But on the opposite side of the coin, they may miss the chance to make a new character that is gay who may have ended up quite popular. Though that is uncommon. Very uncommon in the comic book world of fans. Lesbians I think would be more welcome, as the old key demographic was teenage boys with raging hormones. I'm not sure that's the majority of current comic book fans anymore, but I wouldn't doubt it. At least so far as superhero comics go.

I hope for their sake that it isn't just a gimmick to raise eyebrows, and I hope DC does the character right, bringing to the world a gay hero they can be proud of. Fuck, so far it hasn't been too good for male homosexual characters. The only one that immediately comes to mind is ... UGH, Northstar. He was pretty awful.

Good Luck gay Green Lantern, may you be everything that gay people deserve in a super hero.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
04-06-2012, 08:06 PM
This whole thing reminds me of a cousin of mine. I brought a friend of mine, who happens to be black over the his house and the guy started up one of the most uncomfortable conversations about race relations, I've ever heard. He was like going out of his way to prove how anti-racist he was that he revealed himself as racist. My friend and I soon left and we found each other shaking our heads in disbelieve at the stupidity of others. these guys who jump on the bandwagon when the climate is right for such things are the most nauseating kind of people around.

If something really matters to someone, they won't wait til it's popular to stand up for it and this is what I attribute this new Gay superhero as. A fair weathered attempt to profit by something they had no stake in, when it was controversial. I'd hardly think that they would bring such a thing out in the 70's.

I don't want a fake supporter anywhere around me, sense I could bet they wouldn't be there when it truly matters.