Green tomatoes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2012, 09:37 AM
RE: Green tomatoes
(04-11-2012 08:49 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Well ok, Dom, I'm impressed but how do you get a 7 x 4 feet tomato on your plate?

And I didn't realise that the economy was so bad over there that you have to sell your heirlooms. If you need some financial assistance, let me know.

Wise guy! And I didn't sell the heirlooms, I ate them! And gave them away, too. And the non edible parts are composting now.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
04-11-2012, 02:02 PM
Fry them. Fry them. Fried green tomatoes are among the most delicious things ever invented. Look up a recipe and do it.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 1 user Likes Phaedrus's post
04-11-2012, 05:56 PM
(04-11-2012 06:17 AM)Dom Wrote:  Due to weird weather I just harvested a ton of green tomatoes before getting rid of this year's vines.

Usually there aren't that many left, and I just pick the perfect ones and ripen them wrapped in newspaper, still beats store bought ones in flavor by miles.

This year it stayed very warm, still is, but started raining and the tomatoes grew and grew but no sun for ripening anymore. And it was a bumper year for tomatoes.

I have never ever cooked with green tomatoes. So how do I attack that big green mountain of fruit? I will ripen the perfect ones again, but what about all the rest? I need to process them somehow.
I don't know why but my tomatoes were a complete faluire this year. Out of six plants I got one undersized green tomato. My family harvested tons of 'em, planting the same kind of tomato and in nearly the same damn place Dodgy Guess, just an unlucky year for me. It's not like I don't know what I'm doing, I have been helping plant a very large garden from my earliest memory of about 3 or 4 until I was 20, and then again this year I planted a few things.

04-11-2012, 06:02 PM
(04-11-2012 05:56 PM)Dark Light Wrote:  
(04-11-2012 06:17 AM)Dom Wrote:  Due to weird weather I just harvested a ton of green tomatoes before getting rid of this year's vines.

Usually there aren't that many left, and I just pick the perfect ones and ripen them wrapped in newspaper, still beats store bought ones in flavor by miles.

This year it stayed very warm, still is, but started raining and the tomatoes grew and grew but no sun for ripening anymore. And it was a bumper year for tomatoes.

I have never ever cooked with green tomatoes. So how do I attack that big green mountain of fruit? I will ripen the perfect ones again, but what about all the rest? I need to process them somehow.
I don't know why but my tomatoes were a complete faluire this year. Out of six plants I got one undersized green tomato. My family harvested tons of 'em, planting the same kind of tomato and in nearly the same damn place Dodgy Guess, just an unlucky year for me. It's not like I don't know what I'm doing, I have been helping plant a very large garden from my earliest memory of about 3 or 4 until I was 20, and then again this year I planted a few things.

It just happens. It happened to me just last year.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
04-11-2012, 06:18 PM
I love green tomatoes! Anyway here is a web-site with some great ideas on how to enjoy those wonderful homegrown goodies!

http://blog.pennlive.com/whole-food/2010...ecipe.html

If no change in reality can change your belief - Then your belief is not based on anything in reality
04-11-2012, 06:42 PM
An interesting point about allergies....

Tomatoes belong to the nightshade family, and produce toxic resins and poisons to protect itself. Because factories breed tomatoes to be resistant to pest above all other considerations, they tend to be heavily toxic compared to heirloom varieties, that were long ago bred to be balanced in flavor, yield, and pest /disease resistance.

So Dom, I suspect your plants being all heirloom is contributing to the lack of irritation. Heirlooms are awesome! (if you save any extra seeds, I'd love to try some out. I'd trade you for some of my cantaloupe seeds if you're interested? I do seed trades all the time. Amazes me that I can get seeds from friends in Texas that grow better here than down there!)

[Image: StarkLord01.gif]
05-11-2012, 01:40 PM
Cool, another benefit of heirlooms. The skin irritation was really annoying.

Sorry, I haven't been saving any seeds. I have a friend who starts them from his... so I get small plants from him in the spring.

I had a very large green tomato - starting to turn white - and cut a few thick slices off it and grilled them with my fish last night. It was really good, not in the least bit tart, a little bit of sour and a lot of sweet. Very surprising result. It needed no condiments at all.

I'll be doing more of that!

06-11-2012, 06:18 AM
I don't know how I lived all these years without eating green tomatoes even though I had them available most any year.

I am finding out that they go with just about anything.

But - people say they are tart and I am finding none of that. What I am finding is a mellow tomato-y flavor without the acidity but a slight lemon tinge. Maybe it's the type of tomato or the level of "ripeness". So far I have been eating the ones that are just about to turn color and where the green has a white tinge to it.

I'm going to enjoy these thoroughly this year.

06-11-2012, 06:29 AM
And so for lunch I asked for "no tomatoes" with my club sandwich.

I'm a regular at this hotel so my allergy is on file.

So, what? Tomatoes in the side salad are not the same? Seriously?

Gee thanks.

It's lucky that I don't eat food that food eats anyway.

06-11-2012, 01:41 PM
(06-11-2012 06:29 AM)DLJ Wrote:  It's lucky that I don't eat food that food eats anyway.

Huh? Huh