Green tomatoes

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-11-2012, 06:17 AM
Green tomatoes
Due to weird weather I just harvested a ton of green tomatoes before getting rid of this year's vines.

Usually there aren't that many left, and I just pick the perfect ones and ripen them wrapped in newspaper, still beats store bought ones in flavor by miles.

This year it stayed very warm, still is, but started raining and the tomatoes grew and grew but no sun for ripening anymore. And it was a bumper year for tomatoes.

I have never ever cooked with green tomatoes. So how do I attack that big green mountain of fruit? I will ripen the perfect ones again, but what about all the rest? I need to process them somehow.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-11-2012, 06:30 AM
RE: Green tomatoes
(04-11-2012 06:17 AM)Dom Wrote:  Due to weird weather I just harvested a ton of green tomatoes before getting rid of this year's vines.

Usually there aren't that many left, and I just pick the perfect ones and ripen them wrapped in newspaper, still beats store bought ones in flavor by miles.

This year it stayed very warm, still is, but started raining and the tomatoes grew and grew but no sun for ripening anymore. And it was a bumper year for tomatoes.

I have never ever cooked with green tomatoes. So how do I attack that big green mountain of fruit? I will ripen the perfect ones again, but what about all the rest? I need to process them somehow.
If you find a place that's not too hot, but not too cold either, a lot of them will ripen. They have a slightly different taste, but still good.
People here make jam out of green tomatoes (I know, I know), but I've never tried it.
What I do with them is I use them when I'm sautéing vegetables (which is mostly what I live on :yesSmile; they are quite good this way, cooked with other veggies (fresh or pickled - in my country we make a lot of those - long history of being not that rich). Just make sure you chop them in small bits, at least that how I prefer them. They work well in a stir fry, too. Basically, they work quite well in most dishes that involve cooked vegetables. Or you can sauté them and use them to make pasta sauce (tomato based one... hmm, that sounds a bit incestuous, but it still works).

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
04-11-2012, 07:02 AM
(04-11-2012 06:17 AM)Dom Wrote:  Due to weird weather I just harvested a ton of green tomatoes before getting rid of this year's vines.

Did you know tomatoes can be brought in, and they do very nicely indoors if you spray them with a diluted insecticide a few times in the weeks before you know you will be bringing them in. you can "prepare" the transition. Tomatoes do best, (we found out out from our wonderful Mexican garden assistant, Jesus .. Jesus DID come back BTW .. he was just on vacation) .. any way you can experiment, but tomatoes taste vastly different depending on the soil mix they are grown in. You can essentially "produce" them according to what your taste appreciates most, just like grapes for wine are produced for taste. You can grow them in large pots, for easy moving in the Fall. I suspect Dom has a beautiful sun room, and they would love that, but they grow indoors quite well in the shade. also. You can have your own fresh tomatoes year round, with very little work.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein Certified Ancient Astronaut Theorist
The noblest of the dogs is the hot dog. It feeds the hand that bites it.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
04-11-2012, 07:54 AM
(04-11-2012 07:02 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  

Did you know tomatoes can be brought in, and they do very nicely indoors if you spray them with a diluted insecticide a few times in the weeks before you know you will be bringing them in. you can "prepare" the transition. Tomatoes do best, (we found out out from our wonderful Mexican garden assistant, Jesus .. Jesus DID come back BTW .. he was just on vacation) .. any way you can experiment, but tomatoes taste vastly different depending on the soil mix they are grown in. You can essentially "produce" them according to what your taste appreciates most, just like grapes for wine are produced for taste. You can grow them in large pots, for easy moving in the Fall. I suspect Dom has a beautiful sun room, and they would love that, but they grow indoors quite well in the shade. also. You can have your own fresh tomatoes year round, with very little work.

Well, that would not have worked! This year's tomatoes were between 7 and 8 feet tall and 4 feet wide! It was definitely the year of the tomato here, and I grew all heirlooms which are not generally compact. And - no insecticides here - ever. It's all organic, and bugs are taken care of by peafowl. The occasional plant that gets bugs that the birds don't like - I never no mind, plenty of others always make it and it's worth it to me to stay organic.

Your suggestion works perfectly though for smaller plants grown in pots. And maybe I'll put a couple of compact varieties in pots next year just for that purpose. No insecticides though, you can spray most bugs off with a strong water spray. Should there even be any bugs.

I do have an enclosed sun room, that serves as winter home for 3 citrus trees and a few other cold sensitive plants in pots.

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
04-11-2012, 07:58 AM
(04-11-2012 06:30 AM)Vera Wrote:  

If you find a place that's not too hot, but not too cold either, a lot of them will ripen. They have a slightly different taste, but still good.
People here make jam out of green tomatoes (I know, I know), but I've never tried it.
What I do with them is I use them when I'm sautéing vegetables (which is mostly what I live on :yesSmile; they are quite good this way, cooked with other veggies (fresh or pickled - in my country we make a lot of those - long history of being not that rich). Just make sure you chop them in small bits, at least that how I prefer them. They work well in a stir fry, too. Basically, they work quite well in most dishes that involve cooked vegetables. Or you can sauté them and use them to make pasta sauce (tomato based one... hmm, that sounds a bit incestuous, but it still works).

I don't use a lot of jam... but yes, I have cut some up and mixed them in with cooked veggies. In the winter garden I have mostly greens and it works ok with that. I suspect though that people have a lot of different ways to use them... Pickled veggies - my first husband's grandma made a ton of those and always gave us a bunch. They are pretty good. But I don't have time or ambition to can things...

04-11-2012, 08:16 AM
Around here you can even buy green tomatoes. People pickle them around here. While I don't think that I would like to eat that, probably you wanna try pickling them? Would be a waste to just throw them away.

[Image: 69p7qx.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Leela's post
04-11-2012, 08:18 AM
How big? Are they alien tomatoes?

Just out of curiousity, does anyone else here have a tomato allergy?

Just typing the word makes my skin feel all itchy. Sad

04-11-2012, 08:25 AM
(04-11-2012 08:18 AM)DLJ Wrote:  How big? Are they alien tomatoes?

Actually, my skin seems to be allergic to coming in contact with the leaves. But oddly this year it didn't happen. Probably it's that I grew only heirlooms, that was the only thing I did different.

Lol, not alien but old, old varieties, not hybrids. Plus, it was an incredible year for tomatoes here, everyone had super harvests but mine were exceptionally big. Also, they grow in raised beds that are topped off with compost every year, and they have drip irrigation, so they are a bit spoiled.

I am completely sold on heirlooms now, I have never had so many completely different flavors and colors, just amazing. People have no idea what they are missing out on.

04-11-2012, 08:30 AM
(04-11-2012 08:18 AM)DLJ Wrote:  How big? Are they alien tomatoes?

Life without tomatoes would really suck. We eat them in heaps here, esp. since a lot of people grow them themselves.

Actually, Leela, the salad you've had in your diet thread, we also have here (though we do not call it Greek salad, obvs.); it's one of the best known Bulgarian dishes and I could live on it, if I have to...

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
04-11-2012, 08:49 AM
Well ok, Dom, I'm impressed but how do you get a 7 x 4 feet tomato on your plate?

And I didn't realise that the economy was so bad over there that you have to sell your heirlooms. If you need some financial assistance, let me know.

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Tomatoes Smooshmonster 27 1,236 12-01-2013 12:52 PM
Last Post: DLJ