Greeting from a Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-02-2013, 11:53 AM
Greeting from a Christian
Hello all,

I am a twenty-something software engineer living in Minneapolis. I am a prolific cyclist (at least in the warmer months), amateur blogger, and audiophile metalhead. And yes, I am a Christian. I was considering keeping my beliefs a secret as I explored this forum, but that would have been dishonest.

What is a Christian doing on a forum for atheists? Well, I learned about TTA by reading Seth Andrews' new book and decided to check it out. Why was I reading Seth Andrews' book? Because I've had serious doubts and questions about Christianity myself, the kind that probably led many of you to reject your faith. But, somehow, I didn't. (Darn, so close!, you may be thinking) So I decided to read Deconverted (and also Godless) both to look for why this was so--how my story differed from Seth Andrews' or Dan Barker's--as well as to gain a better firsthand understanding of some prominent atheists' perspectives.

Anyway, the books were challenging and eye-opening. Through them I realized just how hollow and wooden so many Christian apologetic arguments, birthed and grown in the echo chamber of the "Christian bubble", must sound to skeptics. And I realized just how badly Christianity at large is failing both at answering honest doubts and questions in the church ("Just have more faith! Who are you to question God?") and at engaging in real dialog (not debates and conversion attempts) with the growing atheist community.

So, that's why I'm here, to pursue that kind of dialog. I don't consider myself some kind of "ambassador" of Christianity, and certainly not a missionary. I'm not here to argue or try to convince anyone to "see the light". I'm just here to talk, listen, and, hopefully, to understand better, if you'll have me.

"Know that we own minds that could devour the sun/And what we've done will remain although it's gone" - Scar Symmetry
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 11 users Like DarthMarth's post
27-02-2013, 12:43 PM
RE: Greeting from a Christian
Certainly. Just don't mind us as we deal with the numerous trolls around here.

Do you mind if I ask some basic questions?

What denomination are you?
Do you believe in hell, original sin, vicarious redemption?
Is salvation by belief alone, or do good works factor in?
Your take on science as a method?
Your take on Big Bang cosmology, abiogenesis, and evolution?

Don't mean to overwhelm you coming in, but it helps to lay all our cards on the table.

Myself, I'm an agnostic atheist, as are most atheists on here. That means that I acknowledge the possibility of the existence of a god, but will not believe in it unless evidence can be provided. In particular, however, I find the Christian god unlikely and furthermore detestable and abhorrent. I don't make a big deal about my non-belief in public, but do come here to engage in discussion and debate.

E 2 = (mc 2)2 + (pc )2
614C → 714N + e + ̅νe
2 K(s) + 2 H2O(l) → 2 KOH(aq) + H2 (g) + 196 kJ/mol
It works, bitches.
[+] 2 users Like Phaedrus's post
27-02-2013, 12:57 PM
Hi and welcome.

It's always good to have another Christian around.

If you stick to what you said in your intro, you'll be very much accepted here... in fact, maybe even loved Tongue

[Image: vjp09.gif]
[+] 2 users Like kingschosen's post
27-02-2013, 12:58 PM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2013 01:04 PM by Near.)
Welcome. Smile. Some (probably most) people on the forum who would be interested in having a theological debate with you will be very hard on you (possibly disrespectful). If you can handle that, you'll do fine. One of our mods, kingschosen is himself a Christian, and a well liked member of the forum, so we're not all bad. Wink. Not sure if I'll get into theology with you, but if I do, I shall strive to remain polite. Smile

(Forgive any typos, typing on a phone Tongue)

Contribute to the Community Resource!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-02-2013, 12:58 PM
Welcome. I echo Phaedrus's sentiments.

Have you read God is not Great, Christopher Hitchens or The God Delusion, Richard Dawkins?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
27-02-2013, 01:04 PM
Welcome. I echo KC's sentiments.

except the 'loved' part. They think we love them but we are just softening them up before the ritual sacr... shhhhhh!

[+] 7 users Like DLJ's post
27-02-2013, 01:05 PM
Oh, and as usual, there are 5 questions I like to ask Christians when they join.

If you don't want to answer these, don't feel obligated.

1) Do you believe in the Doctrine of Free Will (Arminian) or the Doctrine of Election (Calvinist)?

2) What is your belief on Origins? Are you a Young Earth Creationist (YEC), Old Earth Creationist (OEC), Progressive Creationist (PC), Theistic Evolutionist (TE), or an Evolutionary Creationist (EC)?

3) What is your eschatological belief?

4) Do you believe the Bible is 100% literal? Do you believe "inspired" equates to being literally inerrant?

5) How much time and study have you dedicated to Greek and Hebrew as well as Ancient Near East history?

[Image: vjp09.gif]
27-02-2013, 01:12 PM
... and I like to add this question...

6) If you are like the lilies of the field and give no thought for the morrow... can your PM you bank account details, please.

Much obliged

Thumbsup

[+] 3 users Like DLJ's post
27-02-2013, 01:13 PM (This post was last modified: 27-02-2013 01:17 PM by Vosur.)
Welcome aboard, DarthMarth.

I have a couple of questions that I like to ask new theists as well.

1.) Would you dedicate your time to the worship of one or more supernatural deities if there was neither the promise of eternal bliss in Heaven, nor the threat of eternal torture in Hell, if you knew that this life is all there is and that all of it ends with death?
2.) On what basis do you believe in the Christian god?
3.) Were you brought up in a Christian household?

Have an insightful stay.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
27-02-2013, 01:23 PM
Welcome DeathMarch. There's a bunch of other programmers around here as well. ... Most ain't Christian, though. ... Hell, the crazier ones think they're their own personal Jesus. Smile

Breathing - it's more art than science.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post