Greetings!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-11-2010, 01:21 PM

Greetings!
Just signed up today, and I'm very happy to have found a community of like-minded people. I'm Mila, and I only officially became an atheist this year despite doubting the existence of god my whole life. I was raised catholic, but dabbled in paganism & satanism during my teens, and practiced Asatru for a while last year. I had god pounded into my head as a child(and yes, it IS child abuse to tell a 5 year old she'll burn in hell forever unless she prays to jesus) so I just assumed there HAD to be a god but that I just hadn't found him/her/it yet. But the light bulb finally turned on & I realized that there is no god when I started getting really into science & physics last year. If there is no evidence found for the existence of something for an extended period of time, it can be safely concluded that that thing does not exist. I always found that I could never really, truly *believe* in any gods, and I never could stick with any one religion for very long. And in my heart of hearts, I always kind of knew there was nobody listening to my prayers & I felt foolish asking magical ghosts in the sky for favors & protection. I have never felt more liberated, more intelligent, or happier than I do now as an Atheist. Religion is nothing but organized ignorance, fairy tales, and false hope, and provides convenient excuses for people to hate & kill each other.

I've really gotten into researching the effect of religion on humanity, and unfortunately it has worsened my depression. But knowing there are other smart people out there gives me hope Smile
Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2010, 01:23 PM
RE: Greetings!
Welcome to TTAF, Phendraana! Glad to have you with us.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2010, 03:41 PM

Glad to meet you Phendraana : ) I'm sure you'll like it here.
I became an atheist pretty much for the same reasons you did. I found that I could not believe in God for the same reasons I couldn't believe in imaginary friends when I was younger.
Quote this message in a reply
11-11-2010, 06:48 PM
(11-11-2010 01:21 PM)Phendraana Wrote:  If there is no evidence found for the existence of something for an extended period of time, it can be safely concluded that that thing does not exist.

I totally agree. Welcome to the form.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply