Greetings!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-11-2012, 02:18 PM
Greetings!
Hello, TTA forum people. Introduction, so.. Let me tell you a little about myself, I guess?

I'm Decker Shado, or at least that's my pseudonym, and it was this year (at age 27) that for all intent and purposes, I simply realized I was an atheist. I was born in Vermont, to a literally insanely religious father. (He's a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic) Interestingly, I remember even at a very young age (around 5) questioning lots of things, and thinking them out. Lately I've done horror movie reviews, and I sometimes joke that I did my first reviews in 1988, with my father showing me horror movies telling me that's hell, and me asking if they're already dead, why would they fear death? and when they get eaten, how does that work? Isn't it supposed to be eternal? Do they come back the next day? If so, doesn't that just make it sort of inconvenient?

My mother didn't reinforce this viewpoint. Strangely enough, she's a Wiccan. After she finally left him, taking us with her down to Pennsylvania, we lived with our grandmother. She was catholic, and tried to get us to go to church... but stopped when she decided we were too embarrassing to bring with. All I remember was complaining about not being allowed to eat the communion wafers. (I was hungry.. what?) When we were living in our own place, my mother started teaching us about Wicca, and I took to that pretty well, but she didn't hammer it in like most religious parents. We held the celebrations, we learned how to open and close the circle, but we weren't held down on a daily basis and told if we didn't believe we would be eternally tortured. We just had a few other holidays, and other ways to celebrate.

The whole time I've been very into science, and in my youth I was fascinated by paleontology - but one thing did keep me well identified as religious, my general fear of death. It wasn't until much later, after a lot of thought about death with no afterlife, and understanding it wasn't a black eternal void, but simply wasn't anything at all... I stopped being afraid of it. After that, it still took a long time for me to realize what that meant.

I knew a lot about magic, spirituality, gods and goddesses, and the like.. but when I finally looked at it objectively, I realized despite the fact that I knew all the ins and outs of it, that doesn't mean I held any belief in it. At least, any more. I know the rules of how to open and close a circle just as I know the type advantages in Poke'mon.

I still haven't completely come out and told my family I'm an atheist.. well, I did.. but it was in one of my movie reviews, presented in a humorous fashion. So.. I didn't really come out overtly as an atheist, but knowing truth and the fascinating nature of the universe, and the mysteries of the human brain, is far more interesting to me than attributing so much to spiritual energies.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Decker Shado's post
27-11-2012, 03:29 PM
RE: Greetings!
Welcome! Sounds like you fit right in! Smile

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
27-11-2012, 03:31 PM
Welcome to our merry band of loonies. Tin foil hats to the right, pitchforks on the left. The Baby BBQ is next week, so plan to bring your appetite!

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 2 users Like Erxomai's post
27-11-2012, 03:31 PM
Welcome aboard Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
27-11-2012, 03:33 PM
Ah, good to hear I didn't miss it. Smile
27-11-2012, 04:27 PM
Welcome and such!

[Image: vjp09.gif]
30-11-2012, 12:54 PM
(27-11-2012 02:18 PM)Decker Shado Wrote:  Hello, TTA forum people. Introduction, so.. Let me tell you a little about myself, I guess?

I'm Decker Shado, or at least that's my pseudonym, and it was this year (at age 27) that for all intent and purposes, I simply realized I was an atheist. I was born in Vermont, to a literally insanely religious father. (He's a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic) Interestingly, I remember even at a very young age (around 5) questioning lots of things, and thinking them out. Lately I've done horror movie reviews, and I sometimes joke that I did my first reviews in 1988, with my father showing me horror movies telling me that's hell, and me asking if they're already dead, why would they fear death? and when they get eaten, how does that work? Isn't it supposed to be eternal? Do they come back the next day? If so, doesn't that just make it sort of inconvenient?

My mother didn't reinforce this viewpoint. Strangely enough, she's a Wiccan. After she finally left him, taking us with her down to Pennsylvania, we lived with our grandmother. She was catholic, and tried to get us to go to church... but stopped when she decided we were too embarrassing to bring with. All I remember was complaining about not being allowed to eat the communion wafers. (I was hungry.. what?) When we were living in our own place, my mother started teaching us about Wicca, and I took to that pretty well, but she didn't hammer it in like most religious parents. We held the celebrations, we learned how to open and close the circle, but we weren't held down on a daily basis and told if we didn't believe we would be eternally tortured. We just had a few other holidays, and other ways to celebrate.

The whole time I've been very into science, and in my youth I was fascinated by paleontology - but one thing did keep me well identified as religious, my general fear of death. It wasn't until much later, after a lot of thought about death with no afterlife, and understanding it wasn't a black eternal void, but simply wasn't anything at all... I stopped being afraid of it. After that, it still took a long time for me to realize what that meant.

I knew a lot about magic, spirituality, gods and goddesses, and the like.. but when I finally looked at it objectively, I realized despite the fact that I knew all the ins and outs of it, that doesn't mean I held any belief in it. At least, any more. I know the rules of how to open and close a circle just as I know the type advantages in Poke'mon.

I still haven't completely come out and told my family I'm an atheist.. well, I did.. but it was in one of my movie reviews, presented in a humorous fashion. So.. I didn't really come out overtly as an atheist, but knowing truth and the fascinating nature of the universe, and the mysteries of the human brain, is far more interesting to me than attributing so much to spiritual energies.

Just wanted to say Hi!
I was raised in a family tradition of Witchcraft that is similar in some ways to Wicca and completely different in others so I am always fascinated when I meet others who either are Witches now or who have been in the past!
I consider myself a Witch still-and a Satanist. I am working on both ideas to see if there are any contradictions to them and if I find one then obviously something will have to go away but I am here because I am atheistic and lean heavily into the rational and logical, science and skepticism and I fit in here sometimes better than I do on Pagan forums!
Tell me, did your mom hold to the belief in waiting for the doors to open before making any major changes? also were you raised Vegetarian or Vegan? Just curious.
30-11-2012, 12:56 PM
Welcome, welcome newbie.
Sarah is the name and if you ever need something, I'm a pretty good person to come to for help (at least I think so). Anyways, enjoy your stay.
Hug
Peace.
30-11-2012, 09:43 PM
(30-11-2012 12:54 PM)Irishdize Wrote:  Just wanted to say Hi!
I was raised in a family tradition of Witchcraft that is similar in some ways to Wicca and completely different in others so I am always fascinated when I meet others who either are Witches now or who have been in the past!
I consider myself a Witch still-and a Satanist. I am working on both ideas to see if there are any contradictions to them and if I find one then obviously something will have to go away but I am here because I am atheistic and lean heavily into the rational and logical, science and skepticism and I fit in here sometimes better than I do on Pagan forums!
Tell me, did your mom hold to the belief in waiting for the doors to open before making any major changes? also were you raised Vegetarian or Vegan? Just curious.
I don't recall anything involving the opening of doors, I'm afraid... at one point, she did suddenly switch our diet to vegetarian, but after a while she let off that. For a long time I did hold a spiritual respect for all life, but as such I did so for all life, plant and animal, and found that vegans whom profess that it's cruel to eat animals, so let's all eat plants, were incredibly disrespectful to plant life, which I saw as being pretty well equal. I still find all life should be respected, but I don't have a spiritual excuse for it, it's just my opinion now.
01-12-2012, 12:59 AM
(30-11-2012 09:43 PM)Decker Shado Wrote:  
(30-11-2012 12:54 PM)Irishdize Wrote:  Just wanted to say Hi!
I don't recall anything involving the opening of doors, I'm afraid... at one point, she did suddenly switch our diet to vegetarian, but after a while she let off that. For a long time I did hold a spiritual respect for all life, but as such I did so for all life, plant and animal, and found that vegans whom profess that it's cruel to eat animals, so let's all eat plants, were incredibly disrespectful to plant life, which I saw as being pretty well equal. I still find all life should be respected, but I don't have a spiritual excuse for it, it's just my opinion now.

The way that I was raised is that its about living the best life we can while doing as little harm as possible, since we need to eat to survive we have to eat plants which are sacred but we dont have to eat meat.
Im personally a meat eater now because Satanism is about Indulgence and not abstinence and so bring on the BBQ ribs!