Greetings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-01-2011, 11:44 AM

Greetings
My name is Danielle and I live in what my husband laughingly refers to as The Buckle on the Bible Belt, Arkansas. We've never met any other atheists in our hometown, though I know that doesn't mean there aren't any! It does feel good to join a community where I can talk freely and I am looking forward to many happy discussions!

I can't say that I've never been a believer since I was indoctrinated into Christianity from birth, but I definitely gave my church leaders a hard time growing up with all my questioning and, well, "thinking too deeply" on the matter. Ah, good times! I was turned way a lot in my questioning, given the run-around and told that in the end that, though it was hard for me to believe, I should try because "it can't hurt". Not very good advice to give a young woman who is afraid something is wrong with her because she can't accept what so many others so readily can and do. When I was a teen, I attended a youth meeting on the subject of the occult (which somehow included atheism) in which a special speaker advised us teens (for our own protection, of course) to not read offending literature and turn a deaf ear to naysayers--not only that, I was to fear it/them! That was it for me. Having an adult figure in authority tell me not to question, not to read, and to fear knowledge was for me the equivalent to being told that the church had something to hide, something they did not want me to know or understand. I came to feel that I was the one in the lion's den!

Anyway, greetings to my fellow free-thinking Earthlings!
Quote this message in a reply
28-01-2011, 12:38 PM
RE: Greetings
(28-01-2011 11:44 AM)monkeywithcrayons Wrote:  My name is Danielle and I live in what my husband laughingly refers to as The Buckle on the Bible Belt, Arkansas. We've never met any other atheists in our hometown, though I know that doesn't mean there aren't any! It does feel good to join a community where I can talk freely and I am looking forward to many happy discussions!

I can't say that I've never been a believer since I was indoctrinated into Christianity from birth, but I definitely gave my church leaders a hard time growing up with all my questioning and, well, "thinking too deeply" on the matter. Ah, good times! I was turned way a lot in my questioning, given the run-around and told that in the end that, though it was hard for me to believe, I should try because "it can't hurt". Not very good advice to give a young woman who is afraid something is wrong with her because she can't accept what so many others so readily can and do. When I was a teen, I attended a youth meeting on the subject of the occult (which somehow included atheism) in which a special speaker advised us teens (for our own protection, of course) to not read offending literature and turn a deaf ear to naysayers--not only that, I was to fear it/them! That was it for me. Having an adult figure in authority tell me not to question, not to read, and to fear knowledge was for me the equivalent to being told that the church had something to hide, something they did not want me to know or understand. I came to feel that I was the one in the lion's den!

Anyway, greetings to my fellow free-thinking Earthlings!

Welcome Danielle! You'll find a small but growing community here Smile

Sean

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-01-2011, 02:25 PM
Welcome to TTAF! Glad to have you with us.

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
28-01-2011, 02:46 PM
(28-01-2011 11:44 AM)monkeywithcrayons Wrote:  It does feel good to join a community where I can talk freely and I am looking forward to many happy discussions!
I am starting to think that one of the mayor things most of the ex-believers miss is the community.
Correct Danielle?

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
28-01-2011, 02:58 PM
(28-01-2011 02:46 PM)The_observer Wrote:  
(28-01-2011 11:44 AM)monkeywithcrayons Wrote:  It does feel good to join a community where I can talk freely and I am looking forward to many happy discussions!
I am starting to think that one of the mayor things most of the ex-believers miss is the community.
Correct Danielle?

Not to speak for Danielle, but in my opinion losing community is a big deal.

My wife has likened to the Matrix and Joey Pants - where he wants to enjoy the steak again - even if he knows it's not really steak...

Atheists really can't have a "church" can we? Nor would I expect, that many of us would wish to be conformists. That said, enjoying time with like minded people is part of what makes us human - we are after all a social species... Smile

"Like" my Facebook page
Brain Droppings Blog
[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT16Rq3dAcHhqiAsPC5xUC...oR0pEpxQZw]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
28-01-2011, 05:34 PM

To be honest with you, I am, for the most part, a loner. I do socialize, though mostly with my husband's friends and their mates (he's a performance artist and thus has a large social circle not just by trade but also by personality), but practically everyone feels the need for a sounding board or two or three, don't you think? One of my favorite things is voicing my own thoughts and hearing new ideas that might be contrary or parallel but with a new angle. I love the subtly conscious feeling of my own mind, hm, I don't know the right word, but bending seems to fit here. A feeling that I almost physically feel when I finally understand a new concept. Perhaps one of you sometimes feels it also? I wish it for everybody. I love when one's opinion or idea bounces off another and that one bounces off another and so on. Incitement, I guess? Perhaps it's addictive,Shy. I always was good at starting arguments, lol.

One of my favorite writers is Orson Scott Card because I love that mind-bending feeling his books have given me. I wonder if he'd enjoy or hate hearing that from an atheist (or someone who is for same sex marriage,:dodgySmile.

Before I become all hearts and flowers, thank you all for the kind welcomes Smile.
28-01-2011, 10:53 PM
Hi , welcome , and feel free to bounce your ideas of me anytime Tongue

Atheism is a religion like OFF is a TV channel !!!

Proud of my genetic relatives Big Grin
29-01-2011, 07:38 AM
(28-01-2011 05:34 PM)monkeywithcrayons Wrote:  I love the subtly conscious feeling of my own mind, hm, I don't know the right word, but bending seems to fit here. A feeling that I almost physically feel when I finally understand a new concept. Perhaps one of you sometimes feels it also? I wish it for everybody. I love when one's opinion or idea bounces off another and that one bounces off another and so on. Incitement, I guess? Perhaps it's addictive.
I think I know what you mean. AHA-erlebnis? I love that to.

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
29-01-2011, 08:06 AM

(28-01-2011 02:58 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  Atheists really can't have a "church" can we?

God forbid us atheists having a church... it would just be another reason for theists to say we are a religion
29-01-2011, 04:40 PM (This post was last modified: 29-01-2011 04:52 PM by No J..)
(28-01-2011 02:58 PM)Seasbury Wrote:  Atheists really can't have a "church" can we?

Actually we could, but we have better things to do than sit around being programmed into a way of thinking.
' Wrote:Atheists really can't have a "church" can we?

Yes we can, but we have better things to do than sit around being programmed into someone else's way of thinking.

' Wrote:Nor would I expect, that many of us would wish to be conformists.

This ties in with the above statement.

' Wrote:That said, enjoying time with like minded people is part of what makes us human - we are after all a social species... Smile

We don't need a church for that. We need events and event organizers. It would be harder to organize us than it would be to organize theists because we think for ourselves and don't just go and do what we are told to. But it can be and is being done.

When I find myself in times of trouble, Richard Dawkins comes to me, speaking words of reason, now I see, now I see.