Greetings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-10-2013, 02:36 PM
Greetings
As I believe it is customary to give a brief introduction of myself, I shall now do so.

I am 26, at least so my parents tell me and as they have documents from the NYC department of health to back them up on this I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. I am a student of Structural Engineering (that is the design of things that do not move) over at OSU. I am a returning student, having first gone to college to study Classics (a fancy term for latin, greek, Rome, and the history of the Catholic Church).

I have been an out-and-out atheist for, I dunno, 3 years? Thereabouts? I had stopped believing in God a while before I formally came out due to the stigma that is built up around atheists as smug and arrogant know-it-alls. I did not wish to be associated with this. But I finally sucked it up and decided that just as there are many different types of Christians there are also many different types of atheist, and I didn't have to define myself or an entire group based on a few outspoken personalities.

I was brought up Catholic/Episcopal. I was, for a while, trained in theology (also part of the reason I went into Latin, but I digress) since I was originally thought to eventually be destined for the clergy or for the life of a nun. Well, I like boys too much to be a nun and women can't be ordained, so that went out the window. But I did receive a great deal of insight into theology, so much that what I was taught is VERY different from what people in the Southern Baptist pews believe. It was not my scientific education that led to my atheism (Catholics have no issues with science as such) but my study of History and Biblical literature. Much of the new Testament had to be simply thrown out after I learned about the ACTUAL Roman Empire, and about Augustus, and Pontius Pilot. More had to be tossed out when I learned about the selection of texts that went into the new testament. But still I held onto the belief that the story, while false, was allegorical, and that Jesus still was an ethical innovator, and special and divinely inspired. It was the discovery that there were multiple people at that time making the same claims with the same stories popping up around them that killed it for me. Jesus wasn't special, he was just the one who got lucky.

If Jesus wasn't special, then there was no reason to worship him. There was no reason to hold onto that. And as I had long ago thrown out the literal fact of the bible, I simply tossed him and his claims out as well.

It is the acceptance of my own mind, the reconciling of these things that has allowed me to become a fully actualized person. I do not hide my beliefs, nor am I afraid to hold my head high and look boldly to the world and try to find the truths therein.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like natachan's post
04-10-2013, 05:10 PM
RE: Greetings
Welcome to the circus! Big Grin

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
05-10-2013, 01:21 AM
I love it! Someone who wades through information and seeks the truth. Welcome!
05-10-2013, 02:48 AM
Welcome Smile
05-10-2013, 03:01 AM
Ah yes.

The study of things that do not move.

Structural Engineering / Catholicism.

I see the connection.

Welcome.

[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
05-10-2013, 06:10 AM
Welcome. We lack structure here. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
05-10-2013, 02:16 PM
Welcome to the forum ! I liked your introduction a lot.
05-10-2013, 02:21 PM
Hello, Natachanl - great intro. Good to have you here.

Welcome to the forum. Smile

I think in the end, I just feel like I'm a secular person who has a skeptical eye toward any extraordinary claim, carefully examining any extraordinary evidence before jumping to conclusions. ~ Eric ~ My friend ... who figured it out.
05-10-2013, 02:48 PM
[Image: 391622.jpg]

WWMWAZSKDTVQHTMJD?
06-10-2013, 03:01 PM
We are the smug arrogant atheists you were afraid of. Now we we have accepted you. Now you are one of us.