Greetings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
02-11-2016, 01:02 AM
Greetings
Hello all fellow freethinkers! I am new to the forums and happy to among like minded people.

I have been an atheist since around 14 years old when i started to question what i was taught. Chick Tracts also helped to turn the tide. Seems instilling fear into small children to force belief doesn't work on all of us. I am currently debating to be openly atheist. But my fear of ostracized is pretty strong. My family are the type to stuff their fingers in their ears and immediately disregard evidence for belief. I am sure they know already that i am atheist considering my mother is close to her side of the family. I have a feeling they may know but choose to ignore it. I want to fully embrace who i am. But i still feel like that fear and guilt are still there. I have nothing to fear or be guilty of. Guess my childhood indoctrination goes deeper then i realize at times

I apologize for the length of this post LOL. I am glad to be a part of this movement and hope for the day i finally cast off the old fears. Be openly secular.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Darkalleycat1987's post
02-11-2016, 01:57 AM
RE: Greetings
Hello! Big Grin
02-11-2016, 04:13 AM
Welcome to TTA.

Your story is much more familiar to us than you realize. I'd call it "common", even. No offense! That's said with respect and welcome, for the shared experience of having enough of a skeptical-intellectual "immune system" that you enabled you to recognize how crazy the bad code is and uninstall the program.

We have a fresh crop of know-nothing, fundamentalist "chew toys"; if you'd like to continue inoculating yourself against that deliberate misinformation program, just watch one of these guys try to explain their version of magical "science" to you, while shouting loudly about how we worship it (or the icons/leaders they think we have). It will make you wonder in fear, trying to think back at the crazy, uninformed stuff you might have said while part of that cult.

Or you can just sit back and jump in when you feel you comfortably know everyone. As you like.

Hope you enjoy it, here. Smile

It is a welcome place for many of us, who also must repress being so blatantly true to who-we-are in order to get along with people in our families, or others about whom we care, in such an overwhelmingly religious society.

"Theology made no provision for evolution. The biblical authors had missed the most important revelation of all! Could it be that they were not really privy to the thoughts of God?" - E. O. Wilson
02-11-2016, 04:25 AM
Welcome!
02-11-2016, 05:27 AM
Greetings
Welcome.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
02-11-2016, 05:34 AM
Howdy!

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
02-11-2016, 07:49 AM
Welcome!
02-11-2016, 08:13 AM
Welcome aboard!
02-11-2016, 09:30 AM
Welcome Darkalleycat1987.

Don't feel rushed about coming out as an atheist. If it seems like a bad idea, then don't. Keep in mind though, even when the time is "right", it may not feel completely comfortable. But, the point is, if you have possible real consequences that are serious, you have to be realistic. I came out to my family a long time ago because I knew, while they wouldn't be happy about it, they would also come to accept it (more or less) and still treat me as family. However, I would never come out at work, for example, because losing my job would impact not only me, but my wife and kids. I can't take that chance. Therefore, I haven't come out to many people in general because I don't want word getting back to my work - outside my family, just a few trusted friends.

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
[+] 1 user Likes Impulse's post
02-11-2016, 11:28 AM
[Image: 609f392284fd9e5d787ee190ca1bbc40.jpg?3caf7e]

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin