Greetings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-01-2017, 10:02 AM
Greetings
Hi I'm Pat from Ottawa Canada. I have a different background form most in that I have never been a Christian. In my 20's I went looking and wound up in various forms of paganism where I was heavily involved for over 25 years. As part of my personal practice, I tried to strip away the window dressing until one morning a few years back I woke up and realized that there was nothing left. (A deepish dive into Shinto and several long "conversations" with Loki were also big factors.)

While I am definitely an atheist, I am not an anti-theist. religion is a bit like tonsils, while effectively vestigial, it can perform a positive and helpful function, but if it becomes infected and toxic, it should be cut out and thrown away before it damages the rest of the organism.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like PatG's post
12-01-2017, 10:11 AM
RE: Greetings
Welcome.

As for religion - not everywhere it is vestigial. In west it might be tonsil like, but not every country is blessed with such luck.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
[+] 1 user Likes Szuchow's post
12-01-2017, 10:12 AM
Welcome, Pat. We're glad you're here. Looking forward to the 150 festivities this summer?
12-01-2017, 10:23 AM
Welcome!
12-01-2017, 10:52 AM
Welcome Pat, glad to have you on board.
12-01-2017, 11:04 AM
(12-01-2017 10:11 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Welcome.

As for religion - not everywhere it is vestigial. In west it might be tonsil like, but not every country is blessed with such luck.

Sadly far too true.
12-01-2017, 11:06 AM
(12-01-2017 11:04 AM)PatG Wrote:  
(12-01-2017 10:11 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  Welcome.

Sadly far too true.

Yes, but when life's shit then it is no wonder that people "seek" religion for comfort. Good, old Marx was right, at least in this.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
12-01-2017, 11:06 AM
(12-01-2017 10:12 AM)Heath_Tierney Wrote:  Welcome, Pat. We're glad you're here. Looking forward to the 150 festivities this summer?

We'll see. We scored a Parks Canada pass so that will be happening. I am hoping the museums and the art gallery pull out the stops for 150. Events on the Hill tend to be very packed.
[+] 1 user Likes PatG's post
12-01-2017, 11:25 AM
Welcome!
12-01-2017, 11:33 AM
(12-01-2017 11:06 AM)PatG Wrote:  We'll see. We scored a Parks Canada pass so that will be happening. I am hoping the museums and the art gallery pull out the stops for 150. Events on the Hill tend to be very packed.

Milady and I were lucky to score downtown accommodations for the July 1 weekend (no mean feat, I can assure you, without breaking the bank). While I'm not fond of crowds, this is a once-in-a-lifetime event and we're looking forward to a day or two on the Hill.