Greetings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-04-2017, 06:57 AM
Greetings
Greetings! I can't recall if I have ever been on this site but I've been around for a long time in the atheist realm. On the Internet I was originally a member of the IIDB before slipping in to the RRS site. I later joined the FRDB, but as many of us know sites come and go for a variety of reasons.

I stumbled on to this site because I was reviewing a movie called 'A Case for Christ' which is taking the stage for Easter being here this weekend. My purpose for reviewing it was that most of my family is still Catholic. I wanted to be prepared for the typical family gathering where I have to defend my positions against a dozen ill-informed family members.

My research has lead me to believe that Lee Strobel, the author of many Christian books, is a fake and a liar. I don't believe he was ever an atheist. He appears to be a person profiting from a marketing scheme to sell more books and videos.

So I stumbled on to this site and figured I'd try to find a new place to discuss philosophy and logic.

Thanks.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like digitalbeachbum's post
14-04-2017, 07:00 AM
RE: Greetings
I've no idea what those abbreviations stand for but welcome to TTA.

Big Grin

14-04-2017, 07:01 AM
Welcome!

You may be interested in this thread: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...for-Christ

Shai is Catholic, but not a Strobel fan (to put it mildly).
[+] 4 users Like julep's post
14-04-2017, 07:13 AM
Welcome, we can help you prepare. Yes

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
14-04-2017, 07:22 AM
Welcome!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
14-04-2017, 07:25 AM
hi there!

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
14-04-2017, 09:38 AM
Welcome!! And you're a good person, sitting through the movie version of that horrible book. Sad Hope it doesn't come up too much when you go do the family dinner thing with them at Easter and they can just be happy for the family togetherness of the holiday. However, if they're ill informed, darn, that's going to be a skeet shoot as far as defending against him goes. Just a few highlights, though you probably got them from the movie version not seeing it myself until Tuesday when theater does $5 Tuesday:
  • He dismisses the Q Document idea, that there was a common document the three Synoptic Gospels come from. Most serious scholarship says it probably exists, his handpicked "experts" do not.
  • He believes that the Jesus Seminar, an effort to take a critical scholarly approach to the writings of the Gospels was not valid. His handpicked experts again agree that it isn't.
  • Strobel never offers to show the other side of something except in a way that slants it against it. For example, the Jesus Seminar again, he mentions how they'd vote with colored beads to show a visual medium of the votes on the historicity of something and then sort of makes light of it. Rather than acknowledging it as a useful way for public interaction come media time.
  • He was a pastor at Willow Creek, a megachurch. That church's doctrines aren't explicitly anti-Catholic, however they say the Bible is the sole source of our faith as it were. This is at odds with Catholicism's teachings about Tradition. It also states in its core beliefs, a belief in the Rapture, which the Catholic Church doesn't teach.
  • Strobel is an Evangelical; to quote Cardinal John Henry Newman, "to look into history is to cease to be Protestant". He peered, but he's Protestant.
  • Strobel's church also doesn't believe in infant baptism, and claims that being re-baptized there as an adult is in no way a repudiation of that earlier baptism. Most Catholic theologians would explode a vein in their head at this.
  • Strobel's church also believes Holy Communion to be a symbol, not the literal body and blood of Christ as professed in the Catholic Church's doctrines.
  • From what I can tell from his church's website, they're not exactly in line with the Catholic Church's view on the Filioque clause of the Nicene Creed.
  • Probably the most Catholic thing in his church's teachings can be found in their "Elder Statements" where they believe that Reconciliation is an ongoing process, but even then they don't mean it in the Catholic Sacrament sense of the word.
  • His son is an Assistant Professor of theology at Talbot School of Theology, one of the colleges that make up Biola University in California. It's an Evangelical school (best known in atheist circles for William Lane Craig). No more anti-Catholic than most Evangelical schools, but still an interesting aside.

(14-04-2017 07:01 AM)julep Wrote:  Welcome!

You may be interested in this thread: http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...for-Christ

Shai is Catholic, but not a Strobel fan (to put it mildly).

...you have a gift for understatement my friend. Yes Put together a small list (above) since IT seems determined to thwart doing actual course related works today lol. Hoping my friend quits having real life interfere so we can soldier on with CfC, though tempted to start doing more chapters without her and then referring back to notes when we get to it.

Need to think of a witty signature.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Shai Hulud's post
14-04-2017, 09:55 AM
G'day mate, and welcome to TTA. Smile

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
14-04-2017, 10:55 AM
Hello! Big Grin
14-04-2017, 11:24 AM
Welcome! Smile

You are very much correct about Strobel.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Robvalue's post