Greetings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-11-2010, 05:16 AM

Greetings
Let me introduce myself, I am a 27-year-old guy from the state of Victoria in Australia. I am from a non-religious background and consider myself a "strong atheist" meaning that to me god does not exist.

Anyway a bit about my life and how it shaped me, well I was raised by my avowedly atheist mother from age 4-13, then I moved with my dad and his then wife who subscribed to various new age stuff (including belief in Aliens visiting Earth). That experience affected me to the extent, as a result I developed a solidly rationalistic, skeptical mindset. Although I was open to deism and especially pantheism. However when it came to religion I never thought really much about it.

Starting to know evangelical christians made me think deeply about this whole thing. As a result of interacting with them, I decided to read the bible and hear the gospel. Also since they mention people like Richard Dawkins in a negative way, I decided I would read his book the God Delusion. That led me to reading other 'new atheist' authors such as Hitchens, Dennett and Stenger and I came agreeing with a lot they were saying and as a result became a "Strong Atheist".
Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2010, 10:42 AM
RE: Greetings
Welcome to TTAF, ziggy!

"Owl," said Rabbit shortly, "you and I have brains. The others have fluff. If there is any thinking to be done in this Forest - and when I say thinking I mean thinking - you and I must do it."
- A. A. Milne, The House at Pooh Corner
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-11-2010, 03:50 PM
(14-11-2010 05:16 AM)ziggy Wrote:  (including belief in Aliens visiting Earth). That experience affected me to the extent, as a result I developed a solidly rationalistic, skeptical mindset.

Ifn aliens were visiting the earth I am sure SETI would have picked up some of their communicatios by now. Either that or they are too busy smoking pot in the back room.
14-11-2010, 09:58 PM

(14-11-2010 03:50 PM)No J. Wrote:  
(14-11-2010 05:16 AM)ziggy Wrote:  (including belief in Aliens visiting Earth). That experience affected me to the extent, as a result I developed a solidly rationalistic, skeptical mindset.

Ifn aliens were visiting the earth I am sure SETI would have picked up some of their communicatios by now. Either that or they are too busy smoking pot in the back room.

hey... leave those back room and alleged smoking of pot out of SETI's failure to find aliens transmitting signals. Cool
14-11-2010, 10:46 PM
I forgot to post my Tongue They haven't found alien signals, because there likely aren't any alien signals from nearby, and there definietly aren't any signals from any alien technology that we can detect from close enough to be picked up by SETI's equipment. Over 95% of the scanning is done by computer.
I hope you get used to my overly dry sense of humor.
15-11-2010, 12:40 AM

Gotcha. I'm sure I will get used to your sense of humor as I get to know you. Wink

Sorry to hijack the thread. Welcome to you ziggy! I'm new too, so I can't say much more other than welcome.