Greetings Earthlings!
Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-02-2014, 04:02 PM
Greetings Earthlings!
Hey there, I'm new to the forums but I've been regularly listening to Seth's podcasts, huge fan.

Well, I live in America, I was raised in a Christian household, went to church and the works as a kid. Around the age of probably 8 or so I began to doubt the teachings of the religion I was brought up around, prior to that I just had never really given it much thought at all one way or the other. At probably age 12 or so I would have identified as a deist, I prayed occasionally in times of fear to a vague omnipotent being that may or may not be there. I remember as young as 12 beginning the very occasional "prayer" with something to the effect of "Whoever or whatever might or might be there, if you can listen or care to listen at all".

Around 15 or so I began identifying as an agnostic, though mainly due to the fact that I was misinformed as to the definition of atheist (which still seems to be a very common issue even among the skeptic community). At this time however I just kinda chose not to think about it, but was very aware that I had extremely strong doubts about the existence of god(s).

Later in life I ended up moving to the bible belt and saw first hand how much religion affects the lives, rights, and education of the average American citizen, and attempted to get involved in some form of activism promoting science, rational thinking, secularism and equal rights for everyone. I've still yet to find my niche lol.

I have a deep passion for science, particularly anything including physics and the cosmos. I can't stop doing research and watching documentaries/listening to lectures. It's fascinating beyond words.

About a year ago I had a long discussion with my mother about my beliefs and she's since lost much of her faith, but perhaps clings to some sense of spirituality and identifies as either an agnostic or an atheist, depending on the day Tongue. So I guess in some sense I've made a small difference.

Anywho, I'm rambling. Nice meeting ya'll and I hope we can get to know one another.

A short blurb I wrote a while back expressing my feelings about skepticism:

Imagine you lived 20 years of your life with a blindfold on. Imagine that all the people in your life playing the supposed role of "role model" were describing the world to you. The world seemed nice, supportive, pleasant. It seemed at first glance like the type of world you'd like to live in. Everything is simple. You've got answers. You've got promises made. Provided you "act right".

Fast forward a couple years, and you've seen a few videos on YouTube criticizing your view of the world. Pointing out irrationality. Pointing out hypocrisy. Decide to peek out the side of your blindfold for a second.... it's scary! It's so different and hard to accept. That's okay, baby steps. You're not quite ready to delve further.

Fast forward again, you're watching some documentary that explains evolution to you in a way you've never heard it before.. "This isn't what my role models have been telling me..." you think. "This makes much more sense.." You're scared again, these are exactly the things you've been warned to stay away from. You shut it off for now. Baby steps.

Fast forward a few days. Your overwhelming curiosity has gotten the best of you (it's only natural!). You're now spending countless hours vigorously searching the internet, the TV, Netflix... looking to quench your minds thirst for information. You've taken your blindfold off halfway now. You're still a bit frightened but oh so intrigued. Baby steps.

Today you've decided to watch some well known secular activists in the YouTube community talk about their opinions on religious indoctrination, and it's making more sense with every video, every vlog. your'e seeing yourself a mere 3 months ago in every comment from a Christian, and curiously finding yourself disagreeing with them...

Suddenly you rip off your blindfold and look around at the world. The REAL world. You see it through the eyes of rationality, science, skepticism, and ultimately reality. AND IT'S BEAUTIFUL. It nearly brings you to tears, realizing just how lucky you are to live in the age of information, to be able to at least somewhat comprehend the vastly complex world around you and appreciate it for what it really is. You're hooked. Hooked on reality. There's no going back. But you don't want to. What you want to do now is help every other blindfolded person you see have the courage to peek at the world for themselves. And so your journey begins..

- ME

Everything to live for.
Nothing to die for.

- Ricky Gervais
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-02-2014, 04:36 PM
RE: Greetings Earthlings!

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply