Greetings Earthlings

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-01-2010, 11:15 PM

Music Greetings Earthlings
Hey anybody and everybody,
I neglected to properly introduce myself the other day and just started talking to folks. So here's the scoop--I was born an atheist (and I'll remain one until there is sufficient reason not to be one--I'm not holding my breath). And by the way, I commend everybody out there who has become an atheist from any belief system---that takes honesty and guts. Anyway, I'm an underemployed, half educated, ex rock n' roll musician hiding out in Virginia for the winter getting some much needed rest. I spent the last three years driving a semi for a large trucking company as a way to see the country. I figured the truck was going there anyway, with me or with someone else, so why not enjoy some room and board while seeing the country at a comfortable 70 miles an hour.
The reason I ended up registering on this site is because the last three years kind of opened my eyes to the staggering number of people that are asleep at the wheel--in life that is. And I probably wouldn't need this therapy if I had gotten a satellite radio sooner. But I ended up listening to a lot of talk radio and realized that the vast number of local radio stations aren't as cosmopolitan as what I was used to in the D.C. metropolitan area. I like hearing topical conversation but had no idea how saturated the market is with religious and political hate radio. And I listened as long as could each time before losing it. It's really creepy. I know, why not turn it off. It's like a train wreck--I can't turn away. Every day these people would hammer away at science and evolution--hammer away at sexuality and homosexuality--hammer away at women's rights and stem cell research, and on and on. You're unworthy if you don't believe in God and you deserve to burn for eternity was the message I got. Now maybe this website isn't the right forum for discussing political or environmental or cultural issues, I don't know. But I can't see how a responsible, thinking atheist can honestly avoid it. Because it's getting late and as I see it, the perpetuation of the belief in religion is central to these problems.
Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2010, 08:40 AM
RE: Greetings Earthlings
Hey Grassharper! Welcome to the forums. Glad to see that we're getting so many new members. It's been very, very quiet around here.

"Sometimes it is better to light a flamethrower than to curse the darkness."
- Terry Pratchett
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-01-2010, 12:59 PM

RE: Greetings Earthlings
Yeah, where are all our peeps? I can see where people might get bored with this stuff because everything has been said a million times and the world keeps on putting out more drones. I can't help it though--I need this outlet so my head doesn't explode. Maybe I'm a bit obsessive but I think that ignorance is the root of all "evil" and religious belief is it's main facilitator. I can't stand it that grown men and women in the 21st century are helping to perpetuate this phenomenon. I mean the writing's on the wall.
Sorry I write such long drawn out crap---I'm stuck here in my little cabin in the woods all winter. The only time I really go out is for more firewood and to feed the birds.
Quote this message in a reply

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread: Author Replies: Views: Last Post
  Greetings Earthlings! realityfacade 1 101 18-02-2014 04:36 PM
Last Post: evenheathen
  Greetings Earthlings Dunhill808 8 539 23-01-2012 09:16 AM
Last Post: kingschosen