Greetings a transitioning Christian/ex-Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
22-10-2014, 01:14 PM
Greetings a transitioning Christian/ex-Christian
Hello TTA, I have a long story that I'll try to make brief. My mother is Catholic and she raised me Catholic. She is authentically dedicated to Christianity and is a wonderful person. I love her very much and have a lot of respect for her beliefs, as they helped shape my own.

I started questioning at a young age. Many stories of the Bible didn't mesh well in my head (talking snakes, superhumans, miracles, etc.) so I read the Bible with a loose translation. Basically, I casually followed the stories of the Bible without interpreting them as historical fact. I followed and believed in many of the teachings of the New Testament. There are still good morals found in it, regardless of your take of it as a whole. Parts of it I accepted completely, but I threw out much of it when studied.

A few years ago I got married. My wife is Methodist, and so am (was?) I. A few months ago, I started questioning topics that delve deep into my faith as a Christian. For example, I threw out the idea of an afterlife, and every minute of my life feels more valuable because of it.

I'm still trying to figure out who I am and what I believe, but I'm comfortable calling myself an atheist. I know there's no hard evidence to support God, and I know it's highly unlikely we will ever find hard evidence to support either side completely. However, I still go to church with my wife and will raise my children as I was raised. When they are old enough, I'll start to let them know my feelings and thoughts. But, there is a certain maturity level that goes along with the deep questions that led me away from my beliefs. It's kind of like leading your children to believe in Santa Claus and later telling them he's just an idea. And, I still have a healthy respect for my theist friends, Christian or any other belief.

I hope to bring an ex-Christian perspective to topics presented in this forum, and help many of you understand that Christianity is not just based around the Bible. So many times I see atheists arguing against Biblical stories rather than approaching it from a more complex system of thought. The Bible is just one node in a network of many. Other nodes include personal relationship with God, family, community, prayer, fear, morality, and logic. Each Christian is a little different, and these nodes may expand to other areas as well. These are just the areas I can come up with off the top of my head.

I do not want to influence anyone away from theism or atheism. I just want to contribute my own thoughts to a wonderful forum that I've been perusing for a while now. I want to help others feel comfortable with atheism if they come from a Christian background. I also want to get more out of this forum than I have as a guest. I want to ask questions and inspire more of my own thoughts through collaboration.

Regards,
Smoozie
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-10-2014, 01:17 PM
RE: Greetings a transitioning Christian/ex-Christian
Welcome aboard.

Schmooze on!

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
22-10-2014, 01:46 PM
(22-10-2014 01:14 PM)Smoozie Wrote:  I hope to bring an ex-Christian perspective to topics presented in this forum, and help many of you understand that Christianity is not just based around the Bible.

Welcome.

*Just so you know the vast majority of the forum members here were Christian. I'm ex-Catholic. We welcome new perspectives but you might find that many of us have already tread were you find yourself now. Pro-tip: don't assume.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
22-10-2014, 01:52 PM
Welcome to the forum.

There is much to discuss in your post, but it is frowned upon to do so in intro threads.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
22-10-2014, 01:55 PM
Welcome aboard! Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
22-10-2014, 02:57 PM
Welcome, I am an ex-Pentecostal fundamentalist. We're great node-breakers around here. Thumbsup

Gods derive their power from post-hoc rationalizations. -The Inquisition

Using the supernatural to explain events in your life is a failure of the intellect to comprehend the world around you. -The Inquisition
22-10-2014, 03:00 PM
(22-10-2014 01:46 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  
(22-10-2014 01:14 PM)Smoozie Wrote:  I hope to bring an ex-Christian perspective to topics presented in this forum, and help many of you understand that Christianity is not just based around the Bible.

Welcome.

*Just so you know the vast majority of the forum members here were Christian. I'm ex-Catholic. We welcome new perspectives but you might find that many of us have already tread were you find yourself now. Pro-tip: don't assume.

I didn't mean to say I thought my perspective is unique or new, just that, based on my background, that's the perspective I have. Also, I don't think all atheists base Christianity solely on the Bible, but it's the main target of argument I personally stumble across most of the time.
22-10-2014, 03:05 PM
(22-10-2014 03:00 PM)Smoozie Wrote:  
(22-10-2014 01:46 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  Welcome.

I didn't mean to say I thought my perspective is unique or new, just that, based on my background, that's the perspective I have. Also, I don't think all atheists base Christianity solely on the Bible, but it's the main target of argument I personally stumble across most of the time.

Gotcha. Since this is your intro thread the rules are we can't debate/discuss here so we'll just let it go for now. We'll have plenty of time to explore each other's ideas of where not all atheists base their ideas of Christians elsewhere on the forum.

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
23-10-2014, 03:43 AM
Welcome! Take your pants off and stay awhile.
23-10-2014, 08:48 AM
Hello! Ex-fundamental-creationist-protestant here. If I were still Christian I'd tell you Catholics aren't true Christians Tongue

Deconversion has been a freeing experience for me, too. Welcome to the forum!

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.