Greetings all

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-05-2011, 06:13 PM

Greetings all
Just another atheist to join up. Been reading the site for a few weeks now and finally decided to sign up, reluctant at first because so many people here already have the same viewpoint as myself that any addition I could add to a debate would simply be repetition of everyone before me.

I don't believe that I ever had faith, born to be atheist. When I was young my mother took me to church, even though she wasn't a true believer herself it was an easy way to instil basic morals. Also quite sure my (and I hate to say it because I love her) borderline zealot Grandmother had something to do with it.

I can't honestly say I was never a believer as I can't recall my youngest years perfectly but I do remember one key moment when I decided I did not believe, and it was when my Grandmother told me that even good kind people who do not accept Jesus will be sent to hell I simply told myself no, I couldn't accept that a loving god would punish good people for what I saw as a rather flimsy reason.

Now it seems a little strange that I start off saying I never had faith and then question myself, but I feel a contributing factor about not having faith was that I never believed in any fairy tales that did not fit with what I saw in the world. I remember being 5 and having trouble understanding why my friends believed in Santa. I had already seen a globe of the earth and heard how large the population was when my parents watched the news that the idea that a jolly old fat man living in one of the coldest climates on earth would use flying reindeer to deliver presents to the entire population of earth in one night was ludicrous. (didn't help that Santa's handwriting was the same as my mothers. Something I learned from watching MANY documentarys on TV when I was young. I actually would have my friends give me anything signed by their parents so that I could forge the signature onto tests sent home with low scores.)

I'm going to cut this off here or else I'll explain in detail my entire life from kindergarten to college and turn this into a multipage essay. Its a problem I have, either I have very little to say or far too much. I need to find a middle ground. Feel free to point out any grammar mistake or anything of the like, its been some time since high school English class and I could always use a refresher before starting any serious debates or arguments.
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2011, 08:20 PM
RE: Greetings all
Welcome! I read a few of your other posts, you seem quite smart. And you are right in that we all have similar viewpoints, but often times when we look at details of our beliefs we find differences. But this site is also just a good site to relax, exchange ideas, stories, and thoughts. And I know what you mean when you say you never had faith, but remember a time when you didn't exactly disbelieve. We didn't come out of the womb pondering the mysteries of life, and there was a point in my purely religionless life that I didn't identify myself as an atheist either. Just how we grew as children. But anyway, welcome to TTA!

I don't believe Jesus is the son of God until I see the long form birth certificate!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2011, 08:42 PM
RE: Greetings all
Welcome to the forum and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. Tell your friends about the forum as well and you can also give them your referral link which can be found in the User CP. I thought about the same thing when I signed up since we all probably have almost exactly the same views on everything but you never know, there is always something to bring to the table that could be of interest to others that someone hasn't made a thread about. Enjoy your stay and hope to see you around more often Big Grin

The fish who keeps on swimming is the first to chill upstream.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply