Greetings and the baring of my soul...more or less.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-07-2016, 07:11 PM (This post was last modified: 04-08-2016 08:12 AM by The Dark One.)
Greetings and the baring of my soul...more or less.
Greetings, fellow non-believers! Smile

Please forgive any clumsiness, I'm new to forums. This is my third atheist forum in 2 weeks, I'm afraid. I haven't been banned or anything, I just didn't care for the attitudes and abuse once they learned my DARK SECRET.

I AM A CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICAN, and proud of it. If you folks are ok with this, we should have a great time together, discussing Life, The Universe, and Everything.

If you are not ok with this, PLEASE tell me now, so I don't spend days making new friends only to be shunned because I don't believe what you believe.

I had never realized atheism had such a political aspect, frankly...but apparently it is predominantly Liberal.

Ok, positive, welcoming feedback, so hopefully this will be a nice place to hang out and have arguments and discuss life. Thank you for the welcoming words, folks!

A little about myself, so you know who you're arguing with Smile

I live on a little (47 acre) ranch with my wife and a bunch of critters. We love animals and take in just about anything. From livestock to llamas to giant tortoises to reptiles of all types, we have em.

We have 3 kids, our son lives 15 minutes away and has a comic book / video game store. Our two daughters are both in college, one in veterinary school, the other in med school.

I grew up on our family cattle ranch in west Texas, near Lajitas. It was 240,000 acres, lots of hard work. My father was a pilot in WWII, Korea and VN wars, with the army air corps and air force. My entire family is in aviation, or was, in one form or another. I was a licensed pilot on my 17th birthday.

I earned my bachelors from the University of Texas in bio, and later returned to school at Sul Ross in Alpine, Texas for my masters in Herpetology.

I spent 8 years in the air force, first as what is called a "faip". or First Assignment Instructor Pilot. I was with Air Training Command, flying T-37 and T-38 aircraft as an instructor. Ultimately I ended up an F-5II and F-15C fighter pilot with the 65th TFAS out of Nellis AFB.

After the service I wandered around a bit, flying for the Royal Flying Doctor Service in Australia, then for a small bush airline in Costa Rica, and finally for Continental Airlines in Houston, Texas. After 10 years I was headhunted by Frontier airlines, and changed companies. I retired after 12 years with Frontier, basically the first moment I could, as 9/11 had taken all of the fun out of commercial aviation.

I served as a deputy sheriff for 8 years while working for Frontier, 4 of those years as an element leader on a swat narcotics entry team. The 12 day on / 18 day off schedule at the airline left plenty of off time that the sheriff was willing to work around.

After leaving Frontier, I went to Alaska to do some more bush flying- (it's the most fun you can have dressed) I had met my wife there years before- she was born and raised there.

Eventually we moved back to Texas and bought this little place near San Antonio. I have a man cave full of guns and guitars, a 300 yd shooting range, and a hotrod shop with 9 employees that I opened just to stay busy. It's been incredibly busy, and profitable.

I'm a conservative, but somewhat atypical. I am an atheist, and have been since I was 12. I'm not against anything except restrictions on freedom. Leave me alone and I'll leave you alone, is my philosophy. Don't tell me that I can't carry a gun or drive a 1000 hp hotrod, and I won't shoot you in the neck. Simple. I'm not anti-gay, I'm not threatened by religion- "in god we trust" is fine with me, 10 commandments in the courtroom is fine with me, it's our history and a decent model for a good life. Just don't preach at me or try to tell me I have to go to church. I'm not sure why some atheists get so threatened by those things, but to me it's silly.

I love dogs, have a huge guitar collection- I play mostly hard rock and heavy metal, circa 1970 to 1990, more or less. For those who are into rock and metal, I'm mostly a NWOBHM guy.

Ok...that's probably way more than you ever wanted to know about me. But my last two (first two forums of my life) forums ended badly once the members learned everything about me and got offended, so I'm laying it all out there. What you see is what you get.

Oh yes..and I'm an instigator. Smile

Nice to be here, I look forward to meeting all of you!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like The Dark One's post
29-07-2016, 07:47 PM
RE: Greetings and the baring of my soul...more or less
Welcome to TTA.

I'm a Marxist-Lennonist, liberal, republican and no one cares.

I doubt you'll be abused for what you stand for. Abuse tends to be reserved for bad attitude (i.e. give it then expect to take it) and often, bad grammar.

But I'm guessing you're a Douglas Adams acolyte and I notice you don't like country music... so you have one fan already.

Big Grin

29-07-2016, 07:48 PM
Welcome!
29-07-2016, 07:51 PM
We're off to a good start! Thank you for the kind welcomes, and the fact that you recognize a fellow hitchhiker is definitely a plus!
29-07-2016, 07:59 PM
(29-07-2016 07:11 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  Greetings, fellow non-believers! Smile

Please forgive any clumsiness, I'm new to forums. This is my third atheist forum in 2 weeks, I'm afraid. I haven't been banned or anything, I just didn't care for the attitudes and abuse once they learned my DARK SECRET.

I AM A CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICAN, and proud of it. If you folks are ok with this, we should have a great time together, discussing Life, The Universe, and Everything.

If you are not ok with this, PLEASE tell me now, so I don't spend days making new friends only to be shunned because I don't believe what you believe.

I had never realized atheism had such a political aspect, frankly...but apparently it is predominantly Liberal.

So before I tell you more about myself...what do you think?

Welcome.

There are quite a few threads about the US election, and conservatives and liberals do butt heads there. You can either join in or avoid the political threads, there are plenty of other topics.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
29-07-2016, 08:01 PM
Welcome!
29-07-2016, 08:24 PM
Quote:There are quite a few threads about the US election, and conservatives and liberals do butt heads there. You can either join in or avoid the political threads, there are plenty of other topics.

Thanks Dom! I enjoy butting heads, as long as things don't devolve into straight up abuse. Love a good argument!
30-07-2016, 12:09 AM
RE: Greetings and the baring of my soul...more or less. NEW INFO, STOP IN AND READ!
(29-07-2016 07:11 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  Greetings, fellow non-believers! Smile

Ok, positive, welcoming feedback, so hopefully this will be a nice place to hang out and have arguments and discuss life. Thank you for the welcoming words, folks!

A little about myself, so you know who you're arguing with Smile

I live on a little (47 acre) ranch with my wife and a bunch of critters. We love animals and take in just about anything. From livestock to llamas to giant tortoises to reptiles of all types, we have em.

We have 3 kids, our son lives 15 minutes away and has a comic book / video game store. Our two daughters are both in college, one in veterinary school, the other in med school.

I grew up on our family cattle ranch in west Texas, near Lajitas. It was 240,000 acres, lots of hard work. My father was a pilot in WWII, Korea and VN wars, with the army air corps and air force. My entire family is in aviation, or was, in one form or another. I was a licensed pilot on my 17th birthday.

I earned my bachelors from the University of Texas in bio, and later returned to school at Sul Ross in Alpine, Texas for my masters in Herpetology.

I spent 8 years in the air force, first as what is called a "faip". or First Assignment Instructor Pilot. I was with Air Training Command, flying T-37 and T-38 aircraft as an instructor. Ultimately I ended up an F-5II and F-15C fighter pilot with the 65th TFAS out of Nellis AFB.

After the service I wandered around a bit, flying for the Royal Flying Doctor Service in Australia, then for a small bush airline in Costa Rica, and finally for Continental Airlines in Houston, Texas. After 10 years I was headhunted by Frontier airlines, and changed companies. I retired after 12 years with Frontier, basically the first moment I could, as 9/11 had taken all of the fun out of commercial aviation.

I served as a deputy sheriff for 8 years while working for Frontier, 4 of those years as an element leader on a swat narcotics entry team. The 12 day on / 18 day off schedule at the airline left plenty of off time that the sheriff was willing to work around.

After leaving Frontier, I went to Alaska to do some more bush flying- (it's the most fun you can have dressed) I had met my wife there years before- she was born and raised there.

Eventually we moved back to Texas and bought this little place near San Antonio. I have a man cave full of guns and guitars, a 300 yd shooting range, and a hotrod shop with 9 employees that I opened just to stay busy. It's been incredibly busy, and profitable.

I'm a conservative, but somewhat atypical. I am an atheist, and have been since I was 12. I'm not against anything except restrictions on freedom. Leave me alone and I'll leave you alone, is my philosophy. Don't tell me that I can't carry a gun or drive a 1000 hp hotrod, and I won't shoot you in the neck. Simple. I'm not anti-gay, I'm not threatened by religion- "in god we trust" is fine with me, 10 commandments in the courtroom is fine with me, it's our history and a decent model for a good life. Just don't preach at me or try to tell me I have to go to church. I'm not sure why some atheists get so threatened by those things, but to me it's silly.

I love dogs, have a huge guitar collection- I play mostly hard rock and heavy metal, circa 1970 to 1990, more or less. For those who are into rock and metal, I'm mostly a NWOBHM guy.

Ok...that's probably way more than you ever wanted to know about me. But my last two (first two forums of my life) forums ended badly once the members learned everything about me and got offended, so I'm laying it all out there. What you see is what you get.

Oh yes..and I'm an instigator. Smile

Nice to be here, I look forward to meeting all of you!

So long as you avoid broad generalizations you'll be fine here, welcome to the forum, IF.
30-07-2016, 12:22 AM
RE: Greetings and the baring of my soul...more or less. NEW INFO, STOP IN AND READ!
(29-07-2016 07:11 PM)The Dark One Wrote:  I AM A CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICAN, and proud of it.

Good night, sweet prince.

But hi.
30-07-2016, 12:38 AM
Quote:So long as you avoid broad generalizations you'll be fine here, welcome to the forum, IF.

Hi Thumpy! No IF's please, don't want any baggage traipsing along behind me.Smile
[+] 1 user Likes The Dark One's post