Greetings for North Carolina.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2011, 10:29 PM
Greetings for North Carolina.
Apparently my state is the 6th worst state to be an Atheist in... and I actually plan on moving to the 5th worst state for that, which would be Florida.

Anyway... my name is Paleo, and I am an atheist.

Though first and foremost, I am a marine biologist. I'm not officially one yet, but I'm on my way there. Hopefully I'll be at that point in a few years time, and I want to research dolphin intelligence. Though... I'd like to have some hands-on experience working with them as a trainer first.

[Image: Mehugglephin.jpg]
Me hugging a dolphin named Sandy at SeaWorld, San Diego.

I have been watching atheist videos on youtube quite a lot for the past few months and I feel that I have been missing out on meeting some really great people. I feel that I should have been part of this atheist movement years ago when it first started on youtube.

I did have a youtube channel around the time that it started, but I didn't really upload videos about it, most of my videos were footage of SeaWorld, Aquariums and other unrelated things.

But now I have a new youtube channel, and you can visit it if you like. I'd like to hear what you think of the content I have so far.

I chose the name Paleo as my alias because as a kid, I had a profound interest in paleontology... that is, until I discovered cetaceans, then I shifted goals in life.

Anyway... there's my long... but hopefully interesting introduction. I'm sure I'll meet some like-minded people on this forum.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Paleo's post
17-06-2011, 11:55 PM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2011 12:05 AM by blasphemy fan.)
RE: Greetings for North Carolina.
(17-06-2011 10:29 PM)Paleo Wrote:  Apparently my state is the 6th worst state to be an Atheist in... and I actually plan on moving to the 5th worst state for that, which would be Florida.

I lived there for 30 years, of coarse it's bad for atheists. It's Hell's Waiting Room!
I did a lot of construction on Long Boat Key, and I often felt I would see Cerberus when crossing the bridge from Lido Key to Long Boat..

The worst part of Florida is it's sooooooo flat! You can't get a "house on a hill" because there aren't any. For us atheists, that means you can't see the torches coming Dodgy Undecided
Most people there believe because they think their about to meet 'im.
I wrote this about Florida in '82. It's about Sarasota's (de)famed Highway 41

This is what you'll have to look forward to....

Tourist season's so much fun
See the blood on '41
Broken glass is everywhere
They strike from front, or back, or air
So plant your ass in a window seat
And watch the snow birds keep the beat
The living dead are such a thrill
But when they drive it's overkill
Your paint won't last, but that's OK
Your fenders won't survive one day
You know that that's the price you pay for driving '41

On this road, there's no aborting
High risk tow trucks self-supporting
You recognize the music fast
Of locked up tires and breaking glass
That tells you now that you have won
Statistic listing on '41
I hope some day to drive this road
When ALL the snowbirds have gone home
Just to say I held my own...
On Highway '41

Daffynition: Snowbird (`Sno - berd ) 1. Someone who has mastered the technique of occupying all 3 southbound lanes of Highway '41 simultaneously without driving sideways. 2. Blind motor vehicle operators who have come here from distant places to meet new and interesting people, and kill them by running over them. 3. People who routinely navigate their "land yachts" ( Cadillacs ) in the bicycle lanes, then can't figure out what that noise is under their car. ( screaming ) 4. People who never believe the light was RED in THEIR lane.

There is an atheist club there, or was anyway, if the member didn't die yet...

When I get back down there, I might just have to start a new one.

P.S.
Get a map of Florida and turn it upside down. It looks like a Hoover vacuum sucking all the "tinsel tops" out of the upper 48! ( I'll soon join that group too. My beard is almost fully gray when not dyed.

I feel the vacuum getting stronger, yes, it's getting stronger every day!

Oxymoron: "Religious teaching"
"Simple common sense goes out the window when religion comes in through the door." Me (Blasphemy Fan )
18-06-2011, 12:46 PM
Hi and welcome Paleo...

Nice fish you got there Tongue
Dolphin: the next best meat after baby's
(Now go and rant "Dolphins aren't fish!" and I like you already)

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
18-06-2011, 02:03 PM
(17-06-2011 10:29 PM)Paleo Wrote:  [Image: Mehugglephin.jpg]
Me hugging a dolphin named Sandy at SeaWorld, San Diego.

Nice pic, empath. You'll make a fine marine biologist. Smile

Breathing - it's more art than science.
18-06-2011, 02:34 PM
[Image: wtf-photos-videos-pouches-with-porpoise.jpg]
Of course they aren't fish: They're marsupials

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post
18-06-2011, 02:49 PM
(18-06-2011 02:34 PM)The_observer Wrote:  [Image: wtf-photos-videos-pouches-with-porpoise.jpg]
Of course they aren't fish: They're marsupials
Kinda reminds me of Bad Boys 2:
"Well, actually these are colonial rats. What they do is they send out worker rats that are called.. Marsupials. Marsupials. These drones, they're explorers of the rat world, you know."

The God excuse: the last refuge of a man with no answers and no argument. "God did it." Anything we can't describe must have come from God. - George Carlin

Whenever I'm asked "What if you're wrong?", I always show the asker this video: http://youtu.be/iClejS8vWjo Screw Pascal's wager.
18-06-2011, 09:43 PM
(18-06-2011 12:46 PM)The_observer Wrote:  Hi and welcome Paleo...

Nice fish you got there Tongue
Dolphin: the next best meat after baby's
(Now go and rant "Dolphins aren't fish!" and I like you already)

Believe me, I've gone off on people for that soooooo many times. Tongue

"Science is interesting, if you don't agree, you can fuck off."
Go to my youtube channel and subscribe please!
18-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Hello there.
My favorite thing about dolphins is that they appear in the Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy trilogy. I liked them in that. They really came off well. wonder who their agent is.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
18-06-2011, 10:13 PM
Yay for the new animal devotee. I also took a really long time to actually seek out atheists. It came when St. Louis hit that point for me where I couldn't keep taking the religious nonsense. Around the time of these recent disasters and a resurgence of serious end of days blabber. It seems that at least 60% of the people I run into are end timers.

Missouri is an odd state for the bible belt as usually it's more about what isn't said then what is. No matter where you are though, it's not that uncommon for someone to randomly start preaching, and often enough people just let them do it. No matter how crazy an idea is preached there are few people who will argue it down. The most strikingly conservative issue St. Louis has is that it is considered one of the most segregated major cities. All major racial groups have areas, and generally only their group can enter them. We have a few melting pot areas but there are plenty of parts of the city where you might be killed for being the wrong type of person. St. Louis is a very violent city too (probably from the fact no one talks about anything). Despite this within St. Louis the LGBT community is not that oppressed, though of course we have absolutely no work rights and can be turned out of stores legally if the owners desire it.

If you move out of St. Louis into the more rural towns they are excessively conservative and white. Think of it as a trip back to the 1950's.

Missouri is an interesting state because it has a little bit of everything, but unfortunately it really doesn't seem to excel in anything, one of our biggest current features being annheiser-bush.

It's definitely fun to talk here, it's hard where I am to find people in agreement with me. Perhaps I should seek out other groups focused on negatives =p

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
19-06-2011, 08:38 AM

Don't know where you plan to live in Florida good luck finding an Atheist friendly area.
I live in Ocala, Florida not a very friendly place for Atheist.
So far I only know of 2 people in Ocala that are Atheist besides me.
It's a very religious city.
Quote this message in a reply