Greetings from Germany

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-05-2012, 02:32 PM (This post was last modified: 20-05-2012 03:52 PM by Vosur.)
Greetings from Germany
Hey folks,

I'm a 17 years old student from Germany. I'm interested in philosophy and psychology, which is why I'm planning to study the latter one after taking my A levels. I've stumbled upon this forum after watching the two parts of "Top Ten Creationist Arguments" on YouTube and decided to create an account here once I had finished reading this glorious thread.

I was raised christianly by a baptist pastor and since I was taught that the christian God exists at an early age, I had no choice but to believe that what I was told is true. I didn't even know anything about the bible, I didn't know what was written in the OT and NT, so I also didn't know how many contradictions and violence it contains.

It was much later, at the age of 14 to be specific, that I started to doubt my religion. At that time, I was finally taught how to think critically, which caused me to begin reflecting my morals and faith. I realized that there was no reason to believe in something that you can't prove and that is only mentioned in ancient books. I also couldn't believe that God was supposed to be loving and caring when he ordered his "children" to commit genocide for trivial reasons over and over and over again. This, combined with the lack of any personal experience with God, allowed me to give up on my religion and become an Atheist/Agnostic.

I have to admit that my life has become increasingly better ever since. Looking back from today, I can tell that it was horrible to be deluded enough to believe in such nonsense. Contrary to that, being able to question anything feels great, I enjoy and use this freedom as much as I can.

Judging by what I've read so far, I think I'm going to have a great time on here.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Vosur's post
13-05-2012, 05:05 PM
RE: Greetings from Germany
Glad to see the youth of today with a open mind. Keep up the search for truth and you will see you are on the right path. Their is no God or devil, It's all mythology. The whole Bible is plagiarized from other worlds older religions. Older Myths rolled into one. The book of the dead from Egypt was a heavy influence on the old testament. look to science.

History, I believe, furnishes no example of a priest-ridden people maintaining a
free civil government. This marks the lowest grade of ignorance, of which their
political as well as religious leaders will always avail themselves for their
own purpose. ~ Thomas Jefferson
[+] 2 users Like N.E.OhioAtheist's post
13-05-2012, 05:18 PM (This post was last modified: 13-05-2012 05:47 PM by GirlyMan.)
(13-05-2012 05:05 PM)N.E.OhioAtheist Wrote:  Glad to see the youth of today with a open mind. Keep up the search for truth and you will see you are on the right path.

Couldn't help myself Ohio. Can you blame me? Blush

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
13-05-2012, 05:21 PM
Welcome to the forum.

I took German in High school for two years.... I don`t remember any of it.

"I think of myself as an intelligent, sensitive human being with the soul of a clown which always forces me to blow it at the most important moments." -Jim Morrison
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
13-05-2012, 06:00 PM
(13-05-2012 02:32 PM)Vosur Wrote:  
Hey folks,

I'm a 17 years old student from Germany. I'm interested in philosophy and psychology, which is why I'm planning to study the latter one after taking my A levels. I've stumbled upon this forum after watching thetwo parts of "Top Ten Creationist Arguments" on YouTube and decided to create an account here once I had finished reading this glorious thread .

I was raised christianly by a baptist pastor and since I was taught that the christian God exists at an early age, I had no choice but to believe that what I was told is true. I didn't even know anything about the bible, I didn't know what was written in the OT and NT, so I also didn't know how many contradictions and violence it contains.

It was much later, at the age of 14 to be specific, that I started to doubt my religion. At that time, I was finally taught how to think critically, which caused me to begin reflecting my morals and faith. I realized that there was no reason to believe in something that you can't prove and that is only mentioned in ancient books. I also couldn't believe that God was supposed to be loving and caring when he ordered his "children" to commit genocide for trivial reasons over and over and over again. This, combined with the lack of any personal experience with God, allowed me to give up on my religion and become an Atheist/Agnostic.

I have to admit that my life has become increasingly better ever since. Looking back from today, I can tell that it was horrible to be deluded enough to believe in such nonsense. Contrary to that, being able to question anything feels great, I enjoy and use this freedom as much as I can.

Judging by what I've read so far, I think I'm going to have a great time on here.
Welcome Vosur.
I rather like old Neitzsche; think he might have been Austrian, not German.

Suggest you study psychology; they say all philosophers are mad Hobo
[+] 1 user Likes Mr Woof's post
14-05-2012, 07:15 AM
Welcome to the forum!

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
20-05-2012, 11:58 AM
Hi Vosur. Sincere welcome to another kindred spirit. I am new here myself. A long time ago chose Philosophy as my major after a class in existentialism changed my life. All the best to you.
[+] 3 users Like sven's post
20-05-2012, 03:49 PM
Thanks for the kind welcome, everyone. I appreciate it.
(20-05-2012 11:58 AM)sven Wrote:  Hi Vosur. Sincere welcome to another kindred spirit. I am new here myself. A long time ago chose Philosophy as my major after a class in existentialism changed my life. All the best to you.
In that case, welcome to the forum as well. What exactly happened in the existentialism class that changed your life? You've made me curious.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
20-05-2012, 04:56 PM
(13-05-2012 06:00 PM)Mr Woof Wrote:  Suggest you study psychology; they say all philosophers are mad Hobo

Suggest you study philosophy first. Once you appreciate madness you will make for a much more effective psychologist. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
20-05-2012, 05:53 PM
Willkommen! Ich bin in Deutschland geboren und aufgewachsen (Muenchen) aber wohne schon seit ich 17 war in den Staaten. Ich war sehr katholisch - bis ich mit zehn das alte Testament gelesen habe und die ganze Sache wie ein gruseliges Maerchen sah.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 3 users Like Dom's post