Greetings from Montreal, Canada

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-07-2012, 02:21 PM
Greetings from Montreal, Canada
Hi everyone,

I've been a fan of The Thinking Atheist for quite some time now, and I figured I should probably sign up and participate in the discussion.

My beliefs: I usually self-identify as an agnostic atheist, meaning that I lack a belief in god(s) but do not claim to know, to an absolute level of certainty, whether or not god(s) exist.

I sometimes identify myself as a Strong Atheist, or a "Matt Dillahunty atheist", since my views on religion and god(s) align almost perfectly with his. To a practical useful degree of certainty, I believe that god(s) do not exist. That's a positive claim, but one that I make in the context of practical understanding. If we're discussing absolute truth (a concept I find to be a ridiculous waste of time) then I'm strictly speaking an agnostic atheist, since arguably, nobody can know anything to an absolute level of certainty.

My background:
I'm from Montreal, Quebec, Canada. I'm fortunate to live in a highly secular part of the world, where the influence of religion is small. For 300 years religion dominated our culture. In the mid 20th century, Quebec underwent a "Quiet Revolution" and we effectively threw out the Catholic Church. Since then, theistic religion has been on the decline and today we find ourselves in a highly secular province where religion has almost no influence to speak of.

I carry a cross around my neck. It was a gift to me from my grandmother just weeks before she passed away. I still wear it for sentimental reasons even though I have absolutely no attachment to its religious significance whatsoever. I went swimming with some friends recently and everyone was shocked to see this small cross around my neck. I actually had to say: "relax guys, It's a gift, i wear it in honor of somebody who was close to me, not for religious reasons. I'm an atheist."

Whereas in some parts of the U.S., Canada and indeed the world, you will receive gasps of horror if you declare you're an atheist... around here, you might receive gasps of horror if you declare you're a theist Wink

So although I live in a pleasantly secular society, I also understand that I don't live in a bubble either. The world is globalized and interconnected. Religion might have been effectively defeated in Quebec, it is still a serious problem worldwide. I also fear the potential resurgence of religion in my province, which is why we must remain vigilant.

I look forward to partaking in the discussion!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Cataclaw's post
24-07-2012, 10:21 PM
RE: Greetings from Montreal, Canada
Thank you for that introduction. You'll get to know us pretty quickly. Glad to have you here.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
25-07-2012, 07:32 AM
Welcome aboard.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
25-07-2012, 08:25 AM
Ah, La Belle Province! I can see it from here, in Ottawa.

Welcome to the board!

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
25-07-2012, 10:06 AM
Salutations and Felicitations.

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
25-07-2012, 12:11 PM
Hi!
Welcome very much to this forum, you sound cool, I will grant you a welcome cookie
*giving a huge welcome cookie that is shaped like a blob for an unknown reason but tastes wonderful like chocolate and marzipan*

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Leela's post
27-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Gee, Quebec sounds awesome. Nice to meet you; I'm new here too. Smile

"Leave the atom alone."
-E.Y. Harburgh
27-07-2012, 05:30 PM
Hey cat, I'm a cat crazy atheist whose been in your area for a few months leaving soon enough. It's nice to have this break from St. Louis, MO (Matt's hometown), but I'll be going back soon enough. Welcome to the forum, I'm sure you'll find some great conversations.

I'm not a non believer, I believe in the possibility of anything. I just don't let the actuality of something be determined by a 3rd party.
27-07-2012, 05:51 PM
Welcome from another Montrealer!

Fax me some smoked meat, please!

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post