Greetings from North Carolina, home of state-legislated religious dogma

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
04-07-2016, 10:44 AM
RE: Greetings from North Carolina, home of state-legislated religious dogma
(04-07-2016 09:28 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  
(03-07-2016 09:53 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yabut, N.C. has the very best barbecue, so they get to stay in the Union. Yes

My husband is from South Carolina and they have the mustard based barbecue sauce AND Frogmore stew. *

Frogmore stew doesn't have frogs in it. Donno why it's called Frogmore stew. Dodgy

Quote:Frogmore is name of a community in the middle of St. Helena Island, near Beaufort, South Carolina. Although there are many versions of this dish around, the name Frogmore Stew was coined in the 1960s by Richard Gay, one of the owners of Gay Fish Company, circa 1948, on St. Helena Island.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
04-07-2016, 10:50 AM
(04-07-2016 10:44 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(04-07-2016 09:28 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  My husband is from South Carolina and they have the mustard based barbecue sauce AND Frogmore stew. *

Frogmore stew doesn't have frogs in it. Donno why it's called Frogmore stew. Dodgy

Quote:Frogmore is name of a community in the middle of St. Helena Island, near Beaufort, South Carolina. Although there are many versions of this dish around, the name Frogmore Stew was coined in the 1960s by Richard Gay, one of the owners of Gay Fish Company, circa 1948, on St. Helena Island.

If it's anything like Beaufort stew I'm in. Drooling

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Anjele's post
04-07-2016, 03:12 PM
(04-07-2016 10:50 AM)Anjele Wrote:  
(04-07-2016 10:44 AM)Chas Wrote:  

If it's anything like Beaufort stew I'm in. Drooling

I think it's the same thing. My husband makes it the traditional "door" way. He cooks it in a big boiler pot and then dumps the whole thing, just totally plops it on an old door sitting on two sawhorses. The door was covered with aluminum foil but even so, one time we had a guy over who was a complete germaphobe and was horrified by the sight of food plopped on a old door. He refused to eat it, but that was ok because there was more for everyone else. Laugh out load

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
23-07-2016, 11:45 AM
(03-07-2016 05:20 PM)KUSA Wrote:  
(03-07-2016 04:43 PM)TheQueenOfFrogs Wrote:  Just outside of Rosman. About ten miles west of Brevard.

You are a long way from me then. Over 5 hours. I live near Raleigh.

You must be roasting! Our extra 2,000 ft. elevation is keeping our temps bearable. Stay chilly.
23-07-2016, 11:59 AM
(03-07-2016 06:28 PM)TechnoMonkey Wrote:  
(03-07-2016 09:46 AM)TheQueenOfFrogs Wrote:  Going to church after that was creepy. Were all these people really unthinking zombies?

The last time I entered a church (many, many, many moons ago), I walked in and listened to the droning then just totally freaked out that people were like that. I turned and left.

PS. "Welcome" Did my time at Bragg, '73-'75. Saw snow once. About an inch or two, but it shut everything down tight.

Bragg + '73-'75 says Vietnam (right?). We get a lot more snow here than in Eastern NC but snow removal isn't any better. They have a "wait until it melts" kind of approach.
23-07-2016, 12:08 PM
(03-07-2016 06:33 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  North Carolina, huh? Are you certain which public restroom to use?

Welcome.

And the whole statehouse is amazed that the NBA bailed. The idiot governor is up for reelection and his poll numbers aren't too great. This basketball bombshell is going to put his opponent in the lead.
23-07-2016, 12:14 PM
(03-07-2016 07:05 PM)Born Again Pagan Wrote:  I remember when I was about 12 and my sister about 9 years old her and I talking and saying about our parents "I think they really do believe this stuff they are trying to teach us!"

Yes! But you somehow knew you couldn't say anything to your parents. Kids are pretty intuitive - it's just evil to indoctrinate them so young.
23-07-2016, 12:22 PM
(03-07-2016 09:53 PM)Chas Wrote:  Yabut, N.C. has the very best barbecue, so they get to stay in the Union. Yes

Somehow, when I put barbecue and our idiot governor who legislates bathroom usage into the same thought sequence, I come up with something rather cannibalistic.
23-07-2016, 12:29 PM
(04-07-2016 05:12 AM)Anjele Wrote:  Welcome NC person.

One side of my family is from The Outer Banks. I was born in Buxton.

A weekend road trip a few years back took us through Brevard, up through Maggie Valley, and on to Cherokee...pretty county around there.

Nice to meet you!

Ouch. Hurricane Alley. We lived on the west coast of Florida before moving here so I've had enough hurricanes for a while.
23-07-2016, 12:33 PM
(04-07-2016 09:04 AM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(03-07-2016 09:46 AM)TheQueenOfFrogs Wrote:  Hi, all! I registered so I could respond to a thread by a fellow who lost his belief in his god when he found out Santa Claus didn't exist. But now I can't find it again.

The same thing happened to me! I had somehow got the god myth and the Santa myth stuffed into the same brain compartment and when one went *POOF* so did the other one. (It's understandable. They're so similar to a kid - two old white guys with long white beards wearing bizarre clothes who never give you the stuff you ask them for.)

Going to church after that was creepy. Were all these people really unthinking zombies? Were they faking this for some reason?

"Greetings from North Carolina, home of state-legislated religious dogma"
--- they have time to do that too ? I thought they were busy looking in people's pants, and deciding what bathroom they needed to poo in.

Big Grin

Welcome to the asylum.

I am hoping (not praying, mind you) that the bathroom fiasco gets us a different governor this year. That's the only good thing that might come of it.
[+] 1 user Likes TheQueenOfFrogs's post