Greetings from a lifelong atheist

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
21-12-2011, 07:05 PM
Greetings from a lifelong atheist
Greetings everyone,

I've been listening to the TTA podcast for some time now, and have been meaning to check out the forums for awhile and say hello to everyone. I find listening to the perspectives of those hailing from religious upbringings and households to be immensely amusing and educational, even more so when devout followers of "Your Deity of Choice Here" discover they don't need to blindly follow.

Religion and religious belief was just never that important during my upbringing. I was allowed to make my own choices, and even went to a few churches with friends as a child. I found it all interesting, amusing, but when I realized these people actually believed in it and it wasn't just "play" I was flabbergasted. It felt like these people believed in Saturday morning cartoons to me. That connection more than likely came from something my grandfather had told me.

I must have been about 6 or 7 when my grandfather sat me upon his knee one morning. We had a small ritual of eggs with pumpernickel bread and then a visit to the flea market Sunday mornings during the warm months; sometimes we'd do it on Saturday and go to the farmer's market instead (I'm a north easterner, so those warm months are few and far between.) This morning, he decided to have a small chat with me. He asked me if I knew about the Bible, which I did. He told me there's nothing wrong with reading it, that reading is never the problem. But that I should never forget that it's just stories, much like the Grimm Fairy Tales I loved or the Smurf cartoons I enjoyed watching.

I am still shocked to hear about the persecution that so many people still experience just for not believing. As I mentioned before, I'm in the north eastern part of the US, and atheism is generally accepted where I live. I've been questioned before, sure, but generally religion doesn't even come up in conversation. I know this kind of prejudice exists, but hearing the stories people have still leaves me awestruck.

Well, I planned on writing a quick introduction and have gone slightly over what I planned. I hope this finds everyone well in this gift givingest time of year.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Cowmunist's post
21-12-2011, 07:11 PM
RE: Greetings from a lifelong atheist
Hey Cowmunist welcome to the forum.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
21-12-2011, 07:15 PM
Welcome to the forum. You've arrived in time to join in our roast baby Christmas dinner, congratulations.

PS. If you didn't get what FSM_scot said, he said 'welcome to the forum'. It's his damn Scottish accent, pretty much incomprehensible. Luckily I'm fluent in Glaswegian so if you need me to translate his posts just let me know.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
21-12-2011, 07:17 PM
Welcome to the awesome place that is TTA. Hope you enjoy your stay!

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
21-12-2011, 07:18 PM
God bless your Grampa! Angel

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
21-12-2011, 07:30 PM
(21-12-2011 07:15 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  Welcome to the forum. You've arrived in time to join in our roast baby Christmas dinner, congratulations.

PS. If you didn't get what FSM_scot said, he said 'welcome to the forum'. It's his damn Scottish accent, pretty much incomprehensible. Luckily I'm fluent in Glaswegian so if you need me to translate his posts just let me know.

Hughsie you are chancing it mate Big Grin

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes FSM_scot's post
22-12-2011, 01:29 PM
Hey, welcome to the forums. I am a life long atheist too, I just didn't know it for 30 years!

Idiot: : a foolish or stupid person
— idiot adjective
See Republican Candidates.

Keeping realism alive, one honest offensive comment at a time!
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Clint Barnett's post
22-12-2011, 01:31 PM
Yo!

What's up.

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities. -- Voltaire