Greetings from an ex Christian

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-09-2015, 02:14 PM
Greetings from an ex Christian
Hi Everyone Smile

I am new I don't know if there are ex Christians like me here, if there are I would love to hear from you. I was a devout evangelical for nearly 20 years. Looking back now I couldn't believe how I could be so blind for so long. I think Rusty from True Detective nailed it that "religion is a language virus that rewrites pathways in the brain, dulls critical thinking.”

For me the exodus from Christianity was an easy one logistically, once I started allowing myself a little bit critical thinking Huh, then one thing led to another the whole belief system came crumbling down very quickly. It is the most liberating experience for the mind. But emotionally it's very difficult, almost traumatic. I don't even know where to begin but I lost all my friends except one, and freaked out a few family members, too. It has been about 2 years since I came out of religion and I have overcome some of the fallout, but at times I still feel isolated and lonely. I hope to find support and fellowship from like minded people. Thanks!
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Neo's post
20-09-2015, 02:40 PM
RE: Greetings from an ex Christian
Welcome, I'd guess most of us were at one point religious some heavily indoctrinated.

Glad you found us

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

20-09-2015, 02:41 PM
Welcome! Ex-Christian/Catholic here as well.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
20-09-2015, 02:45 PM
Welcome aboard.

Think of it less as moving away from xtianity --- and moving back to your atheist roots.

After all - all children are born atheist. Any religion you happen to pick up along the way is just regional contamination -- like dirt, dust, pollen or fleas.....

Probably most like fleas - or mosquitoes.

Annoying bloodsucking vermin...

Big Grin

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
20-09-2015, 04:49 PM
Hello! Big Grin
20-09-2015, 05:52 PM
Welcome Neo! I'm not a christian, but I've been "witnessed to" by evangelicals many, many, many times. Through the process, I've learned a thing or two about they way they think. Your outlook has probably totally changed since you left the fold, and the floodgates of free thought are probably wide open for you. Enjoy the journey. Smile
20-09-2015, 06:00 PM
(20-09-2015 02:14 PM)Neo Wrote:  Hi Everyone Smile

I am new I don't know if there are ex Christians like me here, if there are I would love to hear from you. I was a devout evangelical for nearly 20 years. Looking back now I couldn't believe how I could be so blind for so long. I think Rusty from True Detective nailed it that "religion is a language virus that rewrites pathways in the brain, dulls critical thinking.”

For me the exodus from Christianity was an easy one logistically, once I started allowing myself a little bit critical thinking Huh, then one thing led to another the whole belief system came crumbling down very quickly. It is the most liberating experience for the mind. But emotionally it's very difficult, almost traumatic. I don't even know where to begin but I lost all my friends except one, and freaked out a few family members, too. It has been about 2 years since I came out of religion and I have overcome some of the fallout, but at times I still feel isolated and lonely. I hope to find support and fellowship from like minded people. Thanks!

Welcome aboard....you are right, there are many ex xtians here, and I am glad you broke free of the delusion as well, glad to have ya aboard.

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
20-09-2015, 06:02 PM
Welcome.

Which one were you?

Atheism is NOT a Religion. It's A Personal Relationship With Reality!
[+] 3 users Like Minimalist's post
20-09-2015, 06:05 PM
(20-09-2015 06:02 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  Welcome.

Which one were you?

Laugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out loadLaugh out load

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
20-09-2015, 06:09 PM
Hello and welcome Smile

(20-09-2015 06:02 PM)Minimalist Wrote:  

That one kid is just sitting the fuck down with his arms crossed the whole time. Yeah, that's my kind of guy right there Thumbsup

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?