Greetings from an ex orthodox christian!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-10-2013, 01:48 PM
RE: Greetings from an ex orthodox christian!
(29-10-2013 01:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 06:17 PM)Nebulæ Wrote:  Hello everyone, I'm 18 years old and it has been a year since I fully stopped believing in god. It's my first time on an atheist forum, hope it's interesting here Smile I discovered TTA about a year ago. Love all the videos and podcasts.

I'm pretty much of a closet atheist, since I live in a pretty religious country where the majority of people are Christians and you can't really expect an adequate reaction to your lack of belief in god. It's mostly bs, like: atheists worship satan1!! and shit like that. Big Grin

Well, that's all for introduction Smile Sorry for grammar mistakes if there are any, English is not my first language.

Which orthodoxy? (Note that that is a telling question. Why are there multiple orthodoxies?)
I think I know what you mean, but please tell more.

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-10-2013, 01:57 PM
(29-10-2013 01:48 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(29-10-2013 01:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  Which orthodoxy? (Note that that is a telling question. Why are there multiple orthodoxies?)
I think I know what you mean, but please tell more.

Well, let's see. Consider
Eastern Orthodox
Russian Orthodox
Greek Orthodox
Romanian Orthodox
Coptic Orthodox
Ukranian Orthodox
Estonian Orthodox
Estonian Apostolic Orthodox
Syriac Orthodox

and so on.

or·tho·dox ˈôrTHəˌdäks/
adjective
  1. (of a person or their views, esp. religious or political ones, or other beliefs or practices) conforming to what is generally or traditionally accepted as right or true; established and approved.

So, they are all right and true?

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-10-2013, 02:09 PM
(29-10-2013 01:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(29-10-2013 01:48 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  I think I know what you mean, but please tell more.

Well, let's see. Consider
Eastern Orthodox
Russian Orthodox
Greek Orthodox
Romanian Orthodox
Coptic Orthodox
Ukranian Orthodox
Estonian Orthodox
Syriac Orthodox

and so on.

or·tho·dox ˈôrTHəˌdäks/
adjective
  1. (of a person or their views, esp. religious or political ones, or other beliefs or practices) conforming to what is generally or traditionally accepted as right or true; established and approved.

Why the angry vibe, my post was an honest question about what you meant, as in "please tell me" not taunting you or anything like that.
I thought you meant to point out the difference between the " orthodox" as in definition you provided and the Eastern orthodox christianity .

Quote:So, they are all right and true?

Why this?

Isn't it obvious that I don't think any of them is right or true?

. . . ................................ ......................................... . [Image: 2dsmnow.gif] Eat at Joe's
29-10-2013, 02:11 PM
(29-10-2013 02:09 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  
(29-10-2013 01:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  Well, let's see. Consider
Eastern Orthodox
Russian Orthodox
Greek Orthodox
Romanian Orthodox
Coptic Orthodox
Ukranian Orthodox
Estonian Orthodox
Syriac Orthodox

and so on.

or·tho·dox ˈôrTHəˌdäks/
adjective

Why the angry vibe, my post was an honest question about what you meant, as in "please tell me" not taunting you or anything like that.
I thought you meant to point out the difference between the " orthodox" as in definition you provided and the Eastern orthodox christianity .

Why this?

I think you are reading a tone that was not the intent of the author. Our Terse and Deadly one can come off a bit gruff at times but I think that was a real attempt to answer your question.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
29-10-2013, 02:17 PM
(29-10-2013 01:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  Why are there multiple orthodoxies?)

It's a national thing. (And given the history of my region, we, sadly, might have needed it... then again...). There's pretty much Eastern Orthodoxy and Oriental Orthodoxy. The subdivisions are not separate religions, all claiming to be the one true religion, just governing bodies, in an extremely simplifying way of speaking.

The Church's structure is composed of several self-governing ecclesial bodies, each geographically (and often nationally) distinct but unified in theology and worship. Each self-governing body (autocephalous jurisdiction), often but not always encompassing a nation, is shepherded by a Holy Synod whose duty, among other things, is to preserve and teach the apostolic and patristic traditions and related church practices.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderò."
29-10-2013, 02:20 PM
Quote:I think you are reading a tone that was not the intent of the author. Our Terse and Deadly one can come off a bit gruff at times but I think that was a real attempt to answer your question.

I hope that you're right and I am reading it wrong.

I just felt like this guy

29-10-2013, 03:09 PM (This post was last modified: 29-10-2013 04:14 PM by kim.)
(29-10-2013 02:09 PM)Slowminded Wrote:  Why the angry vibe, my post was an honest question about what you meant, as in "please tell me" not taunting you or anything like that.

Ha - that's not an angry vibe; that's a Chas vibe. Perhaps, you were distracted by the truculent look in the feline face of his avatar. Wink

Why this?

Nope - Chas is just in a Socrates mood, today... Consider ... not always a bad thing.

No worries Slowminded... note: he did use a smilie in his elaboration. Drinking Beverage

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
29-10-2013, 04:07 PM
(29-10-2013 01:57 PM)Chas Wrote:  Well, let's see. Consider
Eastern Orthodox
Russian Orthodox
Greek Orthodox
Romanian Orthodox
Coptic Orthodox
Ukranian Orthodox
Estonian Orthodox
Syriac Orthodox

and so on.

or·tho·dox ˈôrTHəˌdäks/
adjective

Why this?

Not angry, just expanding my terse answer. Big Grin

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
29-10-2013, 04:16 PM
Now you made me look up what "terse" means.

Thumbsup

[+] 1 user Likes Slowminded's post
30-10-2013, 03:58 AM
(29-10-2013 01:29 PM)viocjit Wrote:  Welcome to the forum ! where are you from ?

Thanks Smile I'm from Georgia

(29-10-2013 01:46 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-10-2013 06:17 PM)Nebulæ Wrote:  Hello everyone, I'm 18 years old and it has been a year since I fully stopped believing in god. It's my first time on an atheist forum, hope it's interesting here Smile I discovered TTA about a year ago. Love all the videos and podcasts.

I'm pretty much of a closet atheist, since I live in a pretty religious country where the majority of people are Christians and you can't really expect an adequate reaction to your lack of belief in god. It's mostly bs, like: atheists worship satan1!! and shit like that. Big Grin

Well, that's all for introduction Smile Sorry for grammar mistakes if there are any, English is not my first language.

Which orthodoxy? (Note that that is a telling question. Why are there multiple orthodoxies?)

Georgian orthodox church.