Greetings from bible belt

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-04-2017, 08:12 PM
Greetings from bible belt
Hey y'all. New to the site, fairly new to atheism. I've been listening to the podcast for like the past 6 months thereabouts and as I mentioned in the subject, I live in the bible belt and it honestly scares me to even mention the word athiest or brag about my podcast topics of choice. I like how the movement is progressing and there does seem to be more young people who decided to leave their childhood religions and whatnot.

See, I was raised in a Christian home but my parents were and still are pretty relaxed about religion. Mom doesn't seem to care about going to church, dad talks about wanting to and may go with mom for brief patches of time and they used to drag me and my sisters along with them. We don't pray as a family but aren't opposed to a friend offering to pray for situations or before eating. My parents are open to me explorering different religions and stuff, mom moreso than dad. Mom just thinks I have doubts and may come back to Christianity at some point. I've pretty much settled on persuing science and trying to find and understand the truth of things. If at some point someone discovers undeniable facts to religion and that it may hold some truth to it, I may be inclined to believe again or I may just ignore and move on. It doesn't really matter either way with me, I'll just be happy living a easy and stress free life if possible. I don't need religion as much as it might want me for another point on the congregation count and increased income to the church.

Cheers.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like msanangelo's post
09-04-2017, 08:18 PM
RE: Greetings from bible belt
Welcome!!!

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

Find all posts by this user
09-04-2017, 09:31 PM
Hi. Glad you are here.

Welcome!

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
10-04-2017, 12:22 AM
Welcome,

Meh, travel 30 minutes away from any major city in America and you're kinda in the bible belt I'm afraid. Glad you found your way to somewhere you can be among friends that won't try to change you into something else just to make them happy.

If you ever wanna chat I'll be happy to talk with you. Just PM me. I've dealt with some pretty extreme fundamentalism in my life, so maybe I can offer some advice. If not I can at least listen.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 2 users Like JesseB's post
10-04-2017, 02:22 AM
Welcome Smile It's good to hear your parents are relaxed about it all.

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
10-04-2017, 03:14 AM
Hello! Big Grin
10-04-2017, 09:31 AM
Welcome!
10-04-2017, 11:00 AM
Welcome!

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
10-04-2017, 11:15 AM
This fellow bible belt bastard says welcome.
10-04-2017, 11:36 AM
G'day mate, and welcome to the forum. Smile

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.