Greetings from the Deep South

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-07-2014, 01:16 AM
Greetings from the Deep South
Well, here I am at last. I still don't know that I'd call myself an "Atheist" at this point (am I the only one that always types that as 'Athiest' the first time? Sheesh.)... but, I feel like I am well on my way.

For some reason, I still can't quite seem to cut the cord from the Christianity that I was raised with and professed for so long. I don't know if it's the realization that I've potentially wasted what was possibly the prime 20 years of my life following a God that I am now doubtful even exists or if it's more the impact that such a decision will have on my friends and family here in Alabama.

It was easy for me to coast along and ignore my doubts and questions when I was young and single and even as a married man, since my wife was (is) also a Christian. But, kids can rock your world in so many ways you never even expect.

I don't really know exactly what pushed me over the edge... but the tragedy at Sandy Hook definitely put me face to face with the reality of unthinkable evil despite believing in a God who could easily prevent such a thing in a million different ways... especially when the victims are so innocent. As a dad now, this event really shook me to my core. Then there was the tsunami in 2004 (yeah those events are out of order here, but it all runs together in my head)... the tornados in recent years in Tuscaloosa, Al and Moore, OK ... Hurricane Katrina ...and so on and so on. This world seems to want to kill us, yet was supposedly created FOR us by GOD? The predisposition I had toward Christianity was finally shattered.

Once I stepped back and started to re-examine Christianity without the presuppositions that the church had drilled into my brain all my life, none of it seems to make sense any longer. The Old Testament makes much more sense as a mythicised version of Jewish history rather than an accurate description of God's divine plan. And the New Testament seems to be almost completely unreliable upon close examination.

With the Bible relegated to the category of Historical Literature rather than Divine Inspiration, I can find no reason to believe in the God of Christianity. Yet, I still can't distance myself from the notion of God. The immensity of the Universe and the wonders of Life still amaze me and the question of First Cause boggles the mind. Yet, I don't find it any more unbelievable that a "god" created everything than to just assume something always existed and we are here just by a series of fortunate coincidences. Besides, believing in a Creator just begs the question of how something/someone that is infinitely MORE complex than our current universe just so happened to come into existence.

Anyways, I am starting to ramble. I'm glad to have found a community where I can potentially have some meaningful conversation and make new friends. I don't yet know if I'm Agnostic/Atheist/Deist or something else entirely, but I am glad that I am at least on the path to real Truth.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like Vanstorm's post
12-07-2014, 03:04 AM
RE: Greetings from the Deep South
That was a remarkably eloquent ramble. Thank you.

There is no real need for identifiers but if it helps, you can use a label that was applied to the anti-dogmatic over 20 centuries ago: "skeptic" or "doubter".

Welcome aboard.

Oh, and be prepared for many a meaningless conversation too.

Wink

12-07-2014, 06:18 AM
Welcome to TTA. you can't let go of the ' god is a great creator of all things' story because that's the only story you know.

Go to youtube, watch some Lawrence Krauss and some Neil deGrasse Tyson, Brian Cox.

It's ok to not have all the answers, science doesn't have them. Just because science doesn't have an answer if doesn't mean god did it.

Also, a favorite is http://www.yourfallacyis.com. Read thru them all, read the example and you will begin to see big holes in the other 'magical stories' too.

You just took the blinders off, give your eyes a chance to adjust.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post
12-07-2014, 06:32 AM
Welcome to the forum.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
12-07-2014, 07:06 AM
Very nice introduction. I'm sure many here can relate to how you feel as many have come from religious backgrounds.

Welcome aboard. Smile

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
12-07-2014, 10:29 PM
Thanks, everyone. I am certainly up for the meaningless conversation as well!
Time to dive in around here and see what mischief I can find.
Goodevil
[+] 2 users Like Vanstorm's post
12-07-2014, 11:31 PM
Hello Vanstorm.

I was a fundamental baptist for most of my life. You know what I wonder now? What causes some of us to finally get it? We are all the product of brainwashing.

Anyway, welcome to the group and freedom!

It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled. ~Mark Twain
[+] 1 user Likes CindysRain's post
13-07-2014, 08:17 PM
Welcome. Here's your welcome Gong Fu.

[Image: u=1647969966,1530636753&fm=21&gp=0.jpg]

Want something? Then do something.
13-07-2014, 08:20 PM