Greetings from the South

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-06-2012, 11:01 PM
Greetings from the South
Hi guys, I'm Robert.

I'm from the beautiful and dismal state of Alabama. I was raised in fundamentalist Christianity. My mom's really into it and somewhat fits the stereotypical view of the southern conservative fundie. My father has taken the bait as well, but I truly feel he's honestly deceived because I know he's smart enough to see the bullshit if he didn't have people constantly reassuring him that it must be right. Needless to say it's not easy growing up here. I had a 6 month stint of deeply delving into Christianity, but it didn't take hold. I would say that the earliest honest memories I have of doubt came as a 13 year old kid standing in the pew while the pastor spoke about Hell. I remember all I could think about is "What if this is all a bunch of crap?" and "What if they aren't talking to anyone when they think they're praying?". Then come to find out no one in the world can agree on topics like religion really made me reconsider whether anyone had it right. Eventually I doubted the possibility of finding the right answer and loosely accepted the agnostic label. As I grew and learned more and more about science I reaffirmed my agnostic/atheistic viewpoint, but was mortified at anyone finding out. Now I know that I AM in fact an atheist (and a pretty ardent one at that), but honestly, to this day people know I'm irreligious, but I've only mentioned the agnostic/atheistic labels to a few close friends.

"A man who dares waste an hour of his life has not discovered the value of life." - Charles Darwin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like HDT's post
15-06-2012, 07:06 AM
RE: Greetings from the South
Well, labels or not, you became atheist the moment you realized religion is stupid.

Welcome to the forum and may God bless you.

Big Grin

[Image: a6505fe8.jpg]
I have a theory that the truth is never told during the nine-to-five hours.
-Hunter S. Thompson
[+] 1 user Likes Filox's post
15-06-2012, 07:09 AM
Welcome. We have some Southerns here as well.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes kingschosen's post
15-06-2012, 07:12 AM
Hi HDT and welcome Smile

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
[+] 1 user Likes aurora's post
15-06-2012, 08:02 AM
(14-06-2012 11:01 PM)HDT Wrote:  Hi guys, I'm Robert.

I'm from the beautiful and dismal state of Alabama. I was raised in fundamentalist Christianity. My mom's really into it and somewhat fits the stereotypical view of the southern conservative fundie. My father has taken the bait as well, but I truly feel he's honestly deceived because I know he's smart enough to see the bullshit if he didn't have people constantly reassuring him that it must be right. Needless to say it's not easy growing up here. I had a 6 month stint of deeply delving into Christianity, but it didn't take hold. I would say that the earliest honest memories I have of doubt came as a 13 year old kid standing in the pew while the pastor spoke about Hell. I remember all I could think about is "What if this is all a bunch of crap?" and "What if they aren't talking to anyone when they think they're praying?". Then come to find out no one in the world can agree on topics like religion really made me reconsider whether anyone had it right. Eventually I doubted the possibility of finding the right answer and loosely accepted the agnostic label. As I grew and learned more and more about science I reaffirmed my agnostic/atheistic viewpoint, but was mortified at anyone finding out. Now I know that I AM in fact an atheist (and a pretty ardent one at that), but honestly, to this day people know I'm irreligious, but I've only mentioned the agnostic/atheistic labels to a few close friends.
Welcome, Robert. Keep thinking critically.

Watch yourself around here - there are some theists loose in the forum. Ohmy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
15-06-2012, 08:13 AM
(15-06-2012 08:02 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(14-06-2012 11:01 PM)HDT Wrote:  Hi guys, I'm Robert.

Welcome, Robert. Keep thinking critically.

Watch yourself around here - there are some theists loose in the forum. Ohmy

DON'T BLOW MY COVER!

GOSH!

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
15-06-2012, 09:01 AM
Welcome aboard Robert!

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume
[+] 1 user Likes KidCharlemagne1962's post
15-06-2012, 10:10 AM
Hi Htd - It's good you've found your way here.
Even though you've come out to a few around you, the more your atheism becomes news, the hotter the Summer might get. The forum might be a cool place you can come and just get away from the heat... not that some of us don't generate our own. Wink

Welcome to the forum. Smile

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 1 user Likes kim's post
15-06-2012, 12:50 PM
Hi Robert - just joined the forum myself. Checking in from sunny and backward Louisiana myself.
Just remember: No matter how dismal you find Alabama, at least it isn't Mississippi! Wink
Being atheist doesn't make you smarter than the theists around you, but you definitely know something that they don't. Don't let the massive amount of christian B.S. that floods the bible belt get you down, bro. And I'll try to take my own advice...
[+] 3 users Like DannyW's post
15-06-2012, 06:57 PM
(15-06-2012 07:06 AM)Filox Wrote:  Well, labels or not, you became atheist the moment you realized religion is stupid.

Welcome to the forum and may God bless you.

Big Grin
Haha Yes! It is hard to describe how I felt exactly, I always knew I was deep down, but have finally fully come to terms with it within myself.

(15-06-2012 09:01 AM)KidCharlemagne1962 Wrote:  Welcome aboard Robert!
Thank you! Also, nice Mencken quote. I'm a fan as well.

(15-06-2012 10:10 AM)kim Wrote:  Hi Htd - It's good you've found your way here.
Even though you've come out to a few around you, the more your atheism becomes news, the hotter the Summer might get. The forum might be a cool place you can come and just get away from the heat... not that some of us don't generate our own. Wink

Welcome to the forum. Smile
My thoughts exactly. I enjoy engaging people in civil debates to try to help them make what I see as wiser choices, but to anyone from the Bible Belt you know how hard that is it at times without being ostracized. If I were more bold and dogmatic in using labels I fear that people would immediately dismiss me. So, this way I can slowly and pragmatically show them the truth and then reveal where exactly I stand. This forum will hopefully be a good outlet for those moments when I can't take it and can't keep my cool haha.

(15-06-2012 12:50 PM)DannyW Wrote:  Hi Robert - just joined the forum myself. Checking in from sunny and backward Louisiana myself.
Just remember: No matter how dismal you find Alabama, at least it isn't Mississippi! Wink
Being atheist doesn't make you smarter than the theists around you, but you definitely know something that they don't. Don't let the massive amount of christian B.S. that floods the bible belt get you down, bro. And I'll try to take my own advice...
Nice to see a fellow Southerner on here. The south truly is a beautiful landscape, but the people are sometimes a different story.

"A man who dares waste an hour of his life has not discovered the value of life." - Charles Darwin
[+] 1 user Likes HDT's post