Greetings, my fellow heathens!

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-03-2012, 08:54 PM
Greetings, my fellow heathens!
I've known about this site for a while now, but I have never been much of a believer, and I can thank my parents for that. They are both Christians but neither of them have ever tried to influence what I believe in. I tried praying but it just felt dumb to me. Hell, I can't remember the last time either of my parents brought up religion. It's one of the reasons I ended up becoming a member of TTA. As someone who never believed in the first place, I never had much of a reason to pick up a bible or some other religious text, which makes it hard to debate with someone who was seeped in the stuff since birth. By joining I'm hoping that I can learn to better defend my nontheism from the religious zealots I know. That, and it'll just be nice to be part of a community of people that I can be openly atheist with.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Phydeaux's post
26-03-2012, 10:14 PM
RE: Greetings, my fellow heathens!
Welcome Phydeaux Smile

You'll like it here, it's awesome Thumbsup

Humankind Dodgy (a total misnomer)
26-03-2012, 10:40 PM (This post was last modified: 26-03-2012 10:43 PM by GirlyMan.)
Quote:By joining I'm hoping that I can learn to better defend my nontheism from the religious zealots I know.

Fuck that, why even bother?

(26-03-2012 08:54 PM)Phydeaux Wrote:  That, and it'll just be nice to be part of a community of people that I can be openly atheist with.

That's why I'm here. Wink

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
26-03-2012, 11:04 PM
Hi! Thank goodness for great parents like that, huh? The ones who let you believe what you believe instead of forcing their beliefs on you!
I'm hoping for the same thing on this forum ... better defenses against people who want to argue with me about what I don't believe in. It's easy to say, oh who cares, let the others think what they want! But winning the argument and leaving the other guy with no other clever responses always feels good Smile
27-03-2012, 07:32 AM
Hi and welcome!

[Image: RHcn6pd.gif]
27-03-2012, 07:43 AM
Well most of us are well practised in facing theist arguments so you're in the right place.

Just be warned though, it doesn't matter how much you logically destroy a theist they will generally still tell you that you are wrong.

Welcome to the forum Smile.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
27-03-2012, 07:44 AM
Welcome Smile
27-03-2012, 11:28 AM
Hello there, and welcome!
27-03-2012, 07:05 PM
(26-03-2012 10:40 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
Quote:By joining I'm hoping that I can learn to better defend my nontheism from the religious zealots I know.

Fuck that, why even bother?

(27-03-2012 07:43 AM)Hughsie Wrote:  Well most of us are well practised in facing theist arguments so you're in the right place.

Just be warned though, it doesn't matter how much you logically destroy a theist they will generally still tell you that you are wrong.

Welcome to the forum Smile.

Oh, I know I'm not going to be able to convert anyone. But at least this way I'll get the personal satisfaction of having better answers than what I did for when they try to talk to me about religion. And thank you all for the warm welcome. I already like you better than some of the theists that I've known for years. Smile
27-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Welcome, you'll like it here.

" Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
David Hume